Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Itinery for 2 weeks in Ireland (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/itinery-for-2-weeks-in-ireland-842549/)

Binayak May 31st, 2010 12:25 AM

Itinery for 2 weeks in Ireland

Can you suggest an itinery.We are flying into Shannon in early October.Booking a self catering flat in Kilarney and Galway for a wekk in each place.Like to do day trips from each place.Interested to visit Ring of Kerry,Dingle,Connemara,Cliffs of Moher and any other place of interest.This is our first visit to Ireland and plan to rent a car from Shannon and return it there when we fly out .

GreenDragon Jun 1st, 2010 01:13 PM

Tell us what you like doing, and we can help with an itinerary. If you like shopping, pubs and architecture, we would suggest something different than if you like castles, scenery and boats, for instance :)

Binayak Jun 1st, 2010 07:20 PM

scenery,boats,castles..in that order with pubs last shopping the least.

GreenDragon Jun 2nd, 2010 05:43 AM

OK, then you are definitely in the right part of the country :) For the week in Killarney, I would recommend at least 4 trips. One to the Ring of Beara, one to the Ring of Kerry, one to Killarney National Park, and one to the Dingle Peninsula. All are chock full of breathtaking scenery, lakes, cliffs, boats, etc. Skellig Michael, Valentia Island, Great Blasket Island, do some research on these to see if they will make good additions on these day trips. See Muckross House, Gap of Dunloe and Torc Waterfall in Killarney National Park. Head down to Kenmare for great food on the way back.

For the week in Galway, take a trip to the Aran Islands, explore the Burren, the Cliffs of Moher. Wander around Connemara for a day. If you like neolithic sites, go north to Carrowmore. See if Clonmacnoise is an interesting day trip. Kylemore Abbey is a great site. That should at least start you on some interesting research!

Binayak Jun 2nd, 2010 11:22 AM

GreenDragon
Thank you,I will start working on this.Actually we are spending 6 nights in Killarney.Since I land at Shannon at 4 in the evening I have decided to spend the night at Bunratty.Following morning we will visit the Castle and set off for Killarney.The last night also staying in Bunratty to be able to attend the Irish dinner and catch the flight back early.

GreenDragon Jun 2nd, 2010 12:23 PM

Do check out the folk park at Bunratty, as well, and the Creamery has good food. There is also a 'Ceile in the Corn Barn', a bit different from the medieval banquet. More peasant food and dancing rather than court food and harping.

caldud Jun 5th, 2010 08:00 AM

Westport is a nice scenic town. Its about 1.5 hrs from Galway. If you are at all athletic you might like to take the hike up Croagh Patrick. I guess it takes about an hour. Its a moderately difficult climb on a well walked wide path on a wide open big hill. Lots of people are walking up it and the views are great. I liked it because we usually exercise at home and i wanted to get some while on the road as well. I'm 55 and it was no problem for me. After walking up Croagh Patrick I figured I earned a few fresh Guinness's. I would not recommend it for someone who doesn't care for exercise though.