I'm working on the itinerary for our honeymoon to Italy this June. I've been reading so much the past few days and I do realize time is getting critical.
It's our first time to Italy. We're a nature-loving couple, in our early 30's. Love walks, hikes, photography, the sea, coffee! and a little bit of food I suppose.
I've narrowed it down to the Italian Riviera/Liguria region and Venice. We're ok with skipping the art and history (hence Rome/Florence/Tuscany) for a later trip.
I need your help on the itinerary itself - is there enough travel time and fun time? And of course on the hotel choices and trains for transport. My fiance is a smoker, so preferably the room should have a terrace. As I understood smoking outdoors is permitted.
The budget, well we'd love to splurge a bit, but more important than the luxury room is the trip itself and what we can see & do. We're set for a max of $160/night.
The plan to arrive in Italy late June 1 or early morning June 2. We're traveling from Cairo, so what's the best route to take a train and head on to the Riviera region?
June 2 arrive in Italy
Travel by train to La Spezia or Levanto and check-in ( reco for good base hotel?)
with one international flight and a intercity train ride, I think this day is busy enough.
Explore the region, with the following:
Day trips to Cinque Terre (must do one hike and a boat trip), Genoa,
(recos please on timings and other sights more that welcome)
I was considering La Mala as our base, but I'm not sure if smoking is allowed anywhere there. It's still an option, pending their reply.
Other than that, is it a good base for trips into the region - besides CT, like Levanto, La Spezia, Genoa? The views looks awesome, but I do want to avoid the summer crowds of CT itself, so other nearby locations are very welcome.
June 6 check out & head to Venice - with two options:
either spend the day traveling by train ( 7-8 hours) and sleep in Venice
make a stop in Lake Garda for one night, and relax a bit and enjoy the view.
recos please for an overnight stay? and train route?
June 7,8 in Venice
Explore Venice and get lost
again, good choice for hotel here? Locanda Orseolo is fully booked.
June 9 check out and travel to UK!
This looks like one long post! Hope it's all clear. All tips and recommendations are welcome. Thanks a million
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 May Germany, Switzerland, and Iceland
- 2 10 days in Portugal
- 3 Italy Croatia Bosnia
- 4 Driving
- 5 Paris November 2017
- 6 Must See/Do/Eat in Vienna?
- 7 Festival du Citron (Lemon Festival), Menton
- 8 Tour Company recommendations for St. Petersburg
- 9 Italy with kids - off the beaten bath
- 10 First - but not last - trip to Greece
- 11 My France Vacation
- 12 London vacation rental agency
- 13 Anthropology and Archeology for the Turkey Traveler
- 14 Greece during Easter week or August
- 15 Advance tickets for Sagrada and Park Guell
- 16 Paris, Normandy & Amsterdam with College Graduate
- 17 And the winner is ...India? Egypt? no, Italy!
- 18 Buying RER Ticket CDG-Paris
- 19 2 nights between Munich and Slovenia
- 20 Is Bologna ok for a 3 months stsy?
- 21 How best to see the Douro Valley?
- 22 Where to Eat in Barcelona
- 23 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 24 More time in Belgium or Germany?
- 25 10 days in Cologne Munich Switzerland