Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Itinerary: Venice, Innsbruck, Milan - with a twist

Old May 10th, 2004, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK - here's what is tentatively booked. Fly into Venice and take a rental car to ski at either Corvina or Innsbruck area for 4 days; drive back to Venice and tour for 4 days. Take the last train from Venice to Milan and fly home from Milan. I know the routing sounds crazy but unless United/Lufthansa opens up the flights from Venice home, we have to fly into Venice and out of Milan. the train is about 90 minutes so that shouldn't be too hard. Does anybody know the proximity of the Milan train station to the airport? We'll be going from Malpensa - and will need an overnight hotel nearby. Is 4 days enough in Venice?
Old May 10th, 2004, 06:22 PM

In the first place, the train from Venice to Milan is 3 hours, NOT 90 minutes. The airport is another hour from the city, and you must change train stations in order to take the Malpensa Express train. You might be better off driving from Veniceto Malpensa.

The question of whether or not 4 days is enough in Venice is really a very personal choice. There are those who think they have seen Venice if they have been there for the day. I spent a week in the city and I feel as though I just barely scratched the surface. But, in general, four days is a good start.

My hotel recommendation for Milan/Malpensa is the Villa Malpensa. It's a lovely hotel, 5 minutes from the airport, but you feel that you are in another world. Try to get there early enough to enjoy it and to have a nice meal in their wonderful restaurant. They run a complimentary shuttle service to and from the airport, too.
Old May 10th, 2004, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

My mistake - we are flying out of Linate which is described a 7km from downtown milan. The UAL ticket agent told me the drive from Venice to Milan was 110miles - perhaps we should drive rather than take a 3 hour train? It also looks like there are ski areas close to Milan so the trip could end up being 4 days in Venice, drive to Milan and ski - tour a day there and fly out. All is in flux right now but thanks for the info on the train.
Old May 10th, 2004, 09:38 PM

By my calculations, Venice to Milano by car is about 160 miles, on a very busy autostrada.

There are busses from the Milano Centrale station to Linate airport. Are you sure this is where your flight back to the States originates? Malpensa seems the more likely airport, that is the airport for overseas flights. Linate is usually only for intra European flights. It has a terrible on-time record, especially in the winter because it is located in a very fog-prone location.

A great ski area fairly accessible from Venice is Cortina d'Ampezzo. There are really no good ski areas "close to Milan". They are closer to Malpensa, but even then it is still a stretch.

Don't pay for a rental car while in Venice! You have to garage it and that is quite expensive.
Old May 10th, 2004, 11:27 PM

If you have a car, you can ski nearish to Milan, e.g. in Madesimo - getting there will also give you a nice drive through this part of the alps, and there are things to see and do along the way, such as visit Ciapponi in Morbegno (see http://www.straughan.com/italy/living/slowfood.html)

If you're flying out of Linate, you can take a taxi fairly cheaply (for Milan) from the Stazione Centrale. The easiest way to get from that station to Malpensa is the airport bus, you catch them outside on the left side of the station. Takes about an hour, but leave extra time for traffic during rush hours.

best regards,
Deirdré Straughan

http://www.straughan.com
Old May 11th, 2004, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

Its defintely Linate since we have to connect through Frankfurt to get home. I've heard that Zermatt is not a bad trip from Milan and is done as a weekend for the locals. We'll be there the last week of March/first week of April so Easter at St Marks is a definite. At least the air is almost done....have time to plan the rest of the details later.
Old May 11th, 2004, 05:45 PM

Visit Venice first, then go skiing, then go to Milan. I am not sure that a car rental is worth it unless money is no object. Most ski areas in Europe have the town and hotels close to the ski lifts--in the Sierras I drive 20 minutes to the next resort. You should be able to find public transportation to the resorts.