Itinerary thoughts on 7 week trip

Old Jun 16th, 2004, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary thoughts on 7 week trip

My husband and I leave in early July for a 7 week trip. First, we like long trips and are 45 and 57. We are taking our 20 and 25 year old sons on the first 13 days - so we opted for big cities as that is their interest(and this is first overseas trip)
Trip is as follows
Days 1-4 London-4 days
Day 5 Easyjet to Amsterdam stay 3 days
Day 8 to Paris by TGV-5 days
Day 13 Boys home -We train to Provence
Staying at Presbytere St Thomas for 5 days with car to roam about-Arles, St. Remy, Avignon and on day 18 turn in car and train to Carcassone
Day 19 Train to Barcelona - Banys Oriental- 3 nights-Thanks Maribella
Day 22 Train to Madrid then night train to Lisbon(all day and night with 5 hours in MAD)Ugh-Planes $300+ each
Day 23 Lisbon for 3 days-Sintra and explore
Day 27 and 28 By bus to Algarve
Day 29-36 By bus to Seville and 7 days in Andalucias-Ronda for 3 days and perhaps Arcos for 3 (want to see Gibraltar)Have car while here
Day 37 fly from Jerez to Frankfurt -pick up car and off to Bavaria-Reutte 4 days
Day 41 train to BO- 4 days of wandering
Day 45 Train to Rouen - Beaches, Mont St Michel 4 days-have car
Train to paris for last night and fly out
Insane? Eliminate /Add /Lengthen?places not to miss?
Suggestions?

Old Jun 16th, 2004, 08:17 PM

It sounds a wonderful trip. Wish I was going with you. You seem to be allowing sufficient time at most places to get around without overly pushing the pace. One suggestion in relation to Mont. St. Michel. It will be absollutely jam packed with tourists and day trippers from Paris at that time of the year. It is the second most popular destination in France after Paris itself. It is a fantastic place to visit, I really enjoyed it. But perhaps consider visiting St. Malo, Dinan or Vitre instead. They are all walled towns steeped in history as well and we throughly enjoyed them just as much. However I can understand if you say Mont. St. Michel or nothing. Try and find out what time the day trippers arrive and leave and plan your timing to be there before or after them. Of course, if you went for the option of the other towns there is still nothing to stop you from driving out to Mont. St. Michel. Those fantastic views of it jutting out of the ocean are taken from standing on the highway and carparks.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 05:24 AM

What a grand adventure. We did 8 weeks in 1999 and really enjoyed it. However, your transport would kill me. Why not lease a Peuguot in France and keep it for 5 weeks. The rates will amaze you for long term leases--so much easier than schlepping luggage.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 06:37 AM

biggy - doesn't sound insane to me! It sounds great!

One question, I was a little confused on Days 29 to 36. You say bus to Sevilla and 7 days in Andalusia, but you say 3 in Ronda and 3 in Arcos. Where's the time in Sevilla? Sevilla is great for 3 days. It's bigger than the white towns and there is more to see and do. I'd probably do Sevilla for 3, hit Arcos for 1 night and then 2 or 3 in Ronda. BTW - I fell totally in love with Ronda, and wished I spent more than 1 1/2 days (2 nights) there.

Have a great time.

Karen
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 06:56 AM
ira

Hi biggy,

I agree, this is an itinerary for which it would be good to have a car most of the time.

Check out http://www.novarentacar.com/

They will rent you a mid-size for 35E/day or a compact for 28E/day. Pick up and drop off in Paris.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 07:25 AM

I would suggest you break up the Barcelona-Lisbon portion by actually staying for 1- 2 nights in Madrid. The museums are really wonderful, the best in the world IMO in terms of their collections. The Prado has more great art in 3 floors than I have seen anywhere, and is very "doable" in 3-4 hours as opposed to the Louvre and the Met which just overwhelm me. Madrid has some interesting architecture (not as good as the other towns you are going to), but if you are at all interested in art it is worth the stop. It also breaks up the train journey.

I disagree about using a car for this trip. The distances you are going are pretty far, and at US$5 a gallon you will spend a lot on gas. Also, parking in most European towns and cities is hard to find and expensive. The trains take you from the center of the city to the center of the next. Easy jet is also a great way to go.

Old Jun 17th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions.
On the Mont St. Michel-we plan to go early or evening to avoid crowds-
We will have a car for 20 out of the last 30 days. Taking train or plane for longer distances-
We had not planned any time in Seville but are actually very flexible about what we do as we will have a car. If we like one place we will just stay-if we can keep hotel. Ronda sounds like a place to stay 3-4 days. Seville better than Arcos?
By staying in Madrid overnight would that shorten our time in Lisbon too much? Would then only have 2 days there?
Thanks to all of you for help over these 3 months of planning. I have learned so much by reading and this forum makes it so easy to ask those cloying questions that you can't easily get the answes to any other place. I am now as ready as I want to be. Let the adventure begin.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 11:46 AM

...oh what a wonderful trip!..just a question, have you considered going n from lisbon to the northern part of portugal rather than the algarve??in july the algarve maybe a bit crowded..(i am a bit of a history buff and a burn like crazy in the sun so i must admit i am not a beach person- hence the comment)
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 12:45 PM

biggy - If you are going to spend 3 or 4 days in Ronda, then yes - more time in Sevilla and less in Arcos. Sevilla has a beautiful cathedral, a wonderful Alcazar, a wonderful old neighborhood (Barrio Santa Cruz, where you should stay) that is great to walk around in and get lost in the little streets, great tapas bars, authentic flamenco dancing etc.

Arcos is nice but I liked Ronda much more, and the white towns, while different, have the same feel to them, to me anyway.=.

I'd do a few days in Sevilla, drive to Arcos on the way to Ronda. You could just stop in Arcos for an afternoon on the way to Ronda, or stay overnight.

Karen
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 11:42 PM

I think 2 days in Lisbon is fine. It really is small and the historical center is very compact. I only suggest Madrid if you want to see the museums, as you have more charming towns already on your list.