Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Itinerary Taormina to Milan (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/itinerary-taormina-to-milan-1713504/)

galelstorm Mar 9th, 2023 02:00 PM

Itinerary Taormina to Milan

Hello all -
Our (myself and my two adult children) trip is finally planned to begin in Sicily on May 11, 2023 and the following is the itinerary -
  • Taormina - 3 nights
  • Positano - 3 nights
  • Rome - 5 nights
  • Florence - 5 nights
  • Venice - 2 nights
  • Lake Como - 3 nights
  • Milan - 2 nights (only here because return home from this airport)
Having never been to Florence I chose more nights here to hopefully explore the surrounding area. My interest is truly in visiting the Ligurian coastal towns of the Cinque Terre and I am wondering if it is possible to train there from Florence for day trips. I have had recommendations to visit Chiavari, Santa Margarita, Camogli, Portofino and more. Thoughts please. :)

yorkshire Mar 9th, 2023 02:06 PM

What are your arrival flight details?
Instead of flying to Sicily for just three nights, I would add that time to your other stops. Making a stop in Liguria would be great for those three days, but the Amalfi Coast and Venice could benefit from more time.If you are not interested in Milan, just a night there will be fine, and you could also add that night elsewhere.
If you have not booked any accommodations, you need to yesterday!

Sassafrass Mar 9th, 2023 03:10 PM

All the way to Sicily for only two days is truly Not a good plan. Perhaps put those two days plus the travel day on the AC, or the CT if that is your dream.

On the AC, Positano is a nice place to relax, but not so good for sight seeing like to Pompeii, if that is on your list.

The CT is really too far to be decent day trips from Florence. If you want to go there, stay a night or two.
Good day trips from Florence are Pisa, Siena, Luca.

Rather than going all the way up to Como, you are going to Venice anyway, visit Lake Garda instead.
It is right on the way to Milan. Save the day of travel to Como and add a day to Venice. One day for Venice is really short. If you plan for two and find you are done, you can visit the interesting and beautiful islands of Burano, Torcello, etc. or Padua.

Unless you have sightseeing or shopping planned for Milan, one night there is good. Use that night for Venice.
Consider a stop in Verona.

Sassafrass Mar 9th, 2023 10:47 PM

Oops. Lucca.

galelstorm Mar 13th, 2023 10:28 AM

Hello yorkshire-
We fly into Catania on May 11 for our stay in Taormina and fly out to Naples on the 14th for our stay in Positano. Milan is the only place I have not already booked lodging, perhaps as I am not thrilled about it, however our "flight" home is out of MXP. It sounds as though the Ligurian peninsula would be a place for me to visit after the kids fly home.

galelstorm Mar 13th, 2023 11:07 AM

Hello Sassafrass -
We are only exploring the northeast side of Sicily on this trip and kid #1 chose this.
As far as the AC and sight seeing I have been to Pompeii on a previous trip and the kids are more interested in relaxing here. I want to ferry from town to town and just explore.
Thank you for being honest about the CT being a bit too far for day trips from Florence. I do believe I'd like to stay longer and explore the Ligurian coast on my own, is this area safe for a single woman? Thank you for recommending day trips that will work from Florence.
I wanted Lake Garda and the kids chose Como so that is where we are going. I let them choose as kid #1 has never been to Italy before. I agree that two nights in Venice is not enough and Burano is lovely too. I hope to stop in Verona as I've heard it is a very sweet town.

neckervd Mar 14th, 2023 03:59 AM

Why do you want to sleep at Milan if you are not interested in this city?
Trains from Como to Milan Malpensa airport run every 30 minutes (75 min journey).

BTW: a train ride from Taormina to Salerno (Positano) would have lastet 6 hrs, the overnight journey in a sleeping car takes 7 hrs.

galelstorm Mar 15th, 2023 08:31 AM

neckervd - I don't really want to stay in Mila which is why I still have not yet booked it. I am considering adding a night to Venice and Como.

Jean Mar 15th, 2023 01:37 PM

I prefer not to have so many short stays, but I get the sense you're trying to please everyone. I would definitely add a night to Venice. Lake Como could use another night as well. You can see the highlights of Milan in one long, well-organized day... perhaps built around reservations to view the Last Supper.

If you're staying in mid-Lake Como rather than south near Como, the train journey from Varenna-Esino to Milano Centrale is about and hour... 50 minutes from Milano Centrale to Malpensa.