Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Itinerary suggestions in Greece for the Olympics?

Old May 2nd, 2004, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like I said in another post, my friend and I are planning a trip to Greece for the Olympics. August 11th to the 21st to be exact. We obviously want to do more than just the Olympics though and would love to see things around the area. I have been to Greece three times in the past, but many years ago, and this will be my friends first time.

What are the MUST see places? Day trips to islands? Which are the best ones? Any 'hidden treasures' we should scope out to miss the rediculous amount of people that will be there at the time? Thanks!!
Old May 2nd, 2004, 02:46 PM

Not even a small chance of missing the crowds at that time of year, unless you want to take the time to travel out into the Aegean to one of the lesser-visited islands like Anafi (near Santorini), but it's not a day trip and there won't be anything much to do there. All the islands close enough to Athens for day trips will be fully booked with people attending the Games.

If you're thinking about flying to one of the islands, just be sure you decide soon and get confirmed reservations NOW. Soon it will be impossible to get a booking. It's not a pretty picture in August for travellers to Greece, especially this year.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 04:46 PM

Delfi
Old May 2nd, 2004, 09:50 PM

I know I will get in trouble for being negative, but, having just gotten home from Athens there is an awful lot of work to be done to cater for the huge influx of Olympic people. There are very few cogent street signs, the pavements are still being ripped up in some of the main thorough fares and the metro line to the airport still is yet to be completed. Even Syntagma square is a worksite with very little work going on at it ! The flight we took from Athens to Santorini with Olympic saw 20 people who's luggage did not arrive with them. I wish them every success and lots of luck !
Old May 4th, 2004, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

I know the crowds and construction will be overwhelming. So far, I'm pretty sure we'll be hitting Delphi and Aegina (to visit family).

Which island would you guys recommend? Hydra or Aegina??

Thanks!
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 07:52 AM

Definitely Hydra!! It will be crowded but it doesn't matter! It's a lovely island!
Have fun in Greece!