Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Itinerary suggestions for trip similar to Lindau, Fussen, Mittenwald etc.

Apr 15th, 2013, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Itinerary suggestions for trip similar to Zurich, Lindau, Fussen, Mittenwald, St. Wolfgang, Bad Ischl, Hallstatt, Landshut and Munich. This was one of our most enjoyable trips. This time different countries, although Germany, Austria and Italy are on favorite list, and larger city somewhere along the way would work. We are seniors and had planned to not do any more European trips but feeling the call. The more I research the more difficult it is to decide where to go. So if you have any suggestions please share them. All travel by train or public transportation and 16 days. Many thanks.
Apr 15th, 2013, 09:39 AM
ira

Hi V,

Fly into Strasbourg or Stuttgart.
Drive to Rothenbrug-ob-der-Tauber, down the Romantic Road and across to Salzburg.
Continue South through Slovenia to Trieste.
Visit Venice and Florence.

Fly home from FLR or Pisa(PSA)

Enjoy your visit.
Apr 15th, 2013, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Ira. Wanted to go to Strasbourg a few years ago when we were in Colmar region but never made it. The only problem with Strasbourg for entry flight is that we would have to go somewhere else in Europe first and take a second flight. So hate doing that. Saw Strasbourg on House Hunters International recently and really looks interesting. We have been to Rothenburg and Salzburg, Venice and Florence, but I would not mind going back to Salzburg, then Slovenia, Trieste and Venice again. Do you know about train connections and travel in Slovenia? Seems I have read that they are not the most convenient. Definitely some good thoughts and I thank you. If you have any other suggestions they are very welcome. BTW, all our travel is by train or public transportation.
Apr 15th, 2013, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

ira, me again. I think I have mentioned this to you before, but since I am asking for itinerary information again and you were the first and maybe only one to reply it reminded me of you and my first post on Fodors. In March, 2007 I posted a seriously vague title, Suggestions for Itinerary, and you helped a newbie out by suggesting I post a more descriptive title, specifically including Germany itinerary. So glad to see you still giving great advice.
Apr 16th, 2013, 07:38 AM
ira

Hi VD,

Thanks for the kind words.

>The only problem with Strasbourg for entry flight is that we would have to go somewhere else in Europe first and take a second flight. <

I think that SOP is to fly into CDG and then (a) continue by air to SXB or (b) take the train to Strasbourg Gare (40E PREMS fare).

>... really looks interesting.

We liked a visit of several days there.

>Do you know about train connections and travel in Slovenia?

I was thinking of just going through Slovenia to get to Tieste.

Take a look at http://www.oebb.at/ for the Austrian rail system.

Have a nice trip