Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Itinerary suggestions for northern Italy?

Itinerary suggestions for northern Italy?

Jan 8th, 2013, 12:48 PM
Original Poster
Itinerary suggestions for northern Italy?

Hello! I am planning a family trip (2 adults and 2 children ages 9 and 3). This is what I am thinking as our itinerary, but we are open to suggestions. We enjoy history, food/wine, shopping (not luxury) and the outdoors. We are not huge art fans, but would like to see the important things. If you have any suggestions for our itinerary or suggestions on places to see or things do we would appreciate it.

This is what we are thinking so far-
June 1-8 Paris (June 8 budget flight to Venice)
June 8-10 Venice (we have been here before)
June 10-15 Florence (June 15 train to La Spezia/Cinque Terra)
June 15-18 Cinque Terre - need a suggestion on what city to stay in this area. (June 18 train to Milan/Lake Como
June 18-23 Milan/Lake Como. We aren't sure how many days to stay in Milan and how many to stay in the Lake Como area. We also are open to suggestions for what city to stay in the Lake Como area. ( June 23 budget flight to Barcelona)
June 23-30 Barcelona, Spain
Jan 8th, 2013, 04:19 PM
We stayed in Lerici which is not actually part of the Cinque Terre, but it is very close by. We really enjoyed this town, and did the CT one day by boat. From Lerici it was much easier to get to other parts of the region and we really enjoyed sometime in the Carrara marble mountains as well as a small town called Sarzana - ok our main reason for Sarzana is we found our favorite gelato there.

We stayed in Bellagio on Lake Como - totally overcrowded with tourists during the day, but then delightful in the evening when everyone had left.

When we stayed in Milan we drove there and arrived in the early afternoon, then spent the full day there the next day and flew home the following day. We found that adequate time for the city, which btw, we really enjoyed. Just be sure to get your tickets in advance for the last supper.

Here are some links to my trip reports along with pictures:

Jan 8th, 2013, 09:04 PM
Are you planning to do day trips from Florence? If not, I wouldn't stay five days if you aren't interested in art.

Search this Thread