Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Itinerary suggestions? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/itinerary-suggestions-537216/)

cris2 Jun 16th, 2005 07:08 AM

Itinerary suggestions?

My husband & I are going to France for 10 days in early Oct. We plan to fly into Paris. We would like to take a train to another region of France and spend a few days, then head over to Bruges or Amsterdam for 2 days (haven't decided which), then back to Paris for the end of our trip. My question is:

1. Good area in France that isn't a terribly long train ride to Bruges or Amsterdam (preferably not over 4 or 5 hours)? We enjoy wine, art & history, charming medieval towns and beautiful natural scenery. I was thinking of Loire or Burgundy, but not sure the best places to base ourselves.

We could also start out in Bruges or Amsterdam - they don't seem to be a long ride from Paris. We're trying not to stuff too much into a short trip, but my husband has always wanted to see Bruges or Amsterdam so I thought we could try to go there, too. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

elaine Jun 16th, 2005 08:43 AM

If you will be heading to Amsterdam or Bruges I would think that staying in northern France would be more convenient (Normandie, for example) but I don't know about the train logistics from cities in Normandie to the Benelux countries.

ilovetulips Jun 16th, 2005 09:00 AM

Hi cris! We recently visited Amsterdam and Paris and I thought it was a good combination of contrasting cities. The train ride is about 4 hours. It does make several stops, but you stay on the same train. My husband and I lost a day in Amsterdam due to weather in Dallas, but we were able to stay 2 nights. We could have used 1 more full day in Amsterdam, but it was out of our control. As much as I enjoyed Amsterdam (it is very charming in my opinion and they people are great), I felt that there was so much more to see in Paris. I can honestly say after spending 5 nights in Paris, I would give it a full week. We didn't leave Paris, but I would recommend taking some day trips from there if you plan to do Amsterdam as well. If you decide to cut out Amsterdam,then pick a region France to spend a few nights. You mention that you will be going for 10 days, are you including flight time in that 10 days? I wouldn't plan any major sights on your first day. Just try to walk around and make yourself stay awake, because you will have jet leg. I would pick a city and stay there before moving on to another place. For example if you want to do Paris and Amsterdam. Fly into Paris spend your time there, take the train to Amsterdam and fly back out of Amsterdam. If you go to another area in France you will obviously be flying back from Paris, but don't break it up too much, because you want to enjoy your visit. On paper the itinerary seems fine, but I promise once you get into the logistics of buying train tickets, figuring out public transport (trams in Amsterdam and the Metro in Paris) and checking in and out of hotels or inns, it takes alot more time than you would originally think it would. Look at flying into one city and out of another becuase there is not very much difference in price and it saves valuable time when you don't have to backtrack. Let me know if you want any specifics about where stayed, ate,etc. in Paris and Amsterdam.

cris2 Jun 16th, 2005 09:28 AM

thank you, ilovetulips! Your advice sounds great, I am actually considering being based in Paris and taking a few day trips then heading to Amsterdam or Bruges. As much as I'd love to see ALL of France, I also don't want to spend all my time on trains, etc.

Any recommendations on hotels and/or restaurants in Paris and Amsterdam would be welcome! We're on a bit of a budget, so are looking for reasonable, non-touristy places. Thank you again!

ilovetulips Jun 16th, 2005 11:22 AM

Hi cris! In Amsterdam I booked a room at Maes Bed and Breakfast. We paid 95 euros per night for a nice room with a private bathroom (small walk in shower but the bathroom was very clean. There is no AC but you shouldn't need it in Oct. You do have to walk up 2 flights of pretty steep stairs, but we just got used to it. The price also includes breakfast with some very good breads, ham and cheese, a wide variety of cereals, OJ, tea and coffee. The hosts are just wonderful.

We ate at a Thai restaurant that is literally 10 steps away. It is called Top Thai and the food was good. I think we spent about 10-12 euros per plate.

The other restaurant for good Dutch Food is Cafe de Reiggers sp? I had a dish with white asparagus and boiled potoatoes. My husband had spinach/mushroom crepes. We both enjoyed our meals and the atmosphere was nice. We spent 40-50 euros for this meal with beer and wine.

In Paris, we stayed at the St. Thomas D'Aquin. It borders the 6th and 7th districts so it is within walking distance of Cafe de Flore/Cafe Deux Magots, LOuvre, Musee D'Orsay, St. Sulpice, Luxembourg Gardens. It is a great location. Ira also recommends Hotel Bonaparte and it is pretty close to the St. Thomas. Awesome rooms, immaculate bathrooms, very nice and helpful staff and it was 120 euros per night. Again no AC, but not necessary in Oct.

You can't go wrong with food in Paris, it is amazing. We did eat breakfast at the same patisserie every day and its name escapes me, but it is off of Rue des st. Peres and St. Germain des Peres. We had the most amazing quiche and pain au chocolat there. Breakfast was usually 5-6 euros for 2.

The other place that really sticks out in my mind was La Fontaine de Mars. It is on Rue St. Dominique and it is reasonably close to the Eiffel Tower. wonderful French food and some of the best creme brulee I have ever eaten. Wonderful staff and they will speak English to you. Our tab was around 85 euros (this was a splurge for us), but we had appetizers,wine, and a dessert. I really enjoyed our meal at this place.

We also had lunch at a cafe/bistro outside of the Louvre and again the name escapes me. I had some really good French onion soup there and my husband had a delicious looking sandwich. I will try to find out the name of this place.

If you want a tour guide for a day Michael Osman is fabulous!! He charges 75 euros and literally spends 9 or 10 hours with you. It was money well worth it.

ilovetulips Jun 16th, 2005 11:25 AM

If you want to book a tour with Michael his email is [email protected]

cocofromdijon Jun 17th, 2005 08:49 AM

and for a day trip (or more) Dijon is 1h30 from Paris with TGV..
a "few" pictures here :
http://www.ofoto.fr/BrowsePhotos.jsp...id=43499444733
welcome to France :-)

ira Jun 17th, 2005 10:01 AM

Hi cris,

Is this your first visit to Paris?

((I))

jenviolin Jun 17th, 2005 11:41 AM

Definitely Burgundy!
(or Champagne!)

Check out Beaune. Might be 2 more hours on the train, but worth it.