Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Itinerary suggestions (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/itinerary-suggestions-109756/)

Allison Mar 4th, 2001 05:47 AM

Itinerary suggestions

My husband and I love natural beauty, hiking, charming towns and villages. We also enjoy staying at Bed and Breakfasts. <BR>Please make any suggestions regarding the following tentative itinerary. <BR> <BR>We have 14 days in the area. We're flying in and out of Munich and plan to rent a car. <BR> <BR>Salzkammergut 4 days...Salzburg, Hallstatt, Ice Caves, Mondsee Lake. <BR> <BR>3 days in the Innsbruck area (don't know where to stay or what to do). <BR> <BR>I was thinking about a drive to Lake Como and/or Venice. Would you recommend that? For how many days? Any lodging at either that you would recommend (about $70 US dollars/night) <BR> <BR>If I have some extra days, should I stay longer in one of the aforementioned places? <BR> <BR>Any suggestions regarding MUST SEES, lodging, especially beautiful hiking trails would be appreciated!

ginny Mar 4th, 2001 05:53 AM

Hi Allison! <BR>Have never been to Germany myself yet but I am in the early stages of planning for Sept. A thought about lodging: Renting and taking day trips. That is what we are going to do. Check out www.vacationvillas.net. I have and they have a nice wide range of selections all over Germany. As for cost you can not beat it. Good luck!

Maira Mar 4th, 2001 06:07 AM

What month are you going? I definitely recommend staying at Garmish-Partenkirchen. This town/area is the ideal home base for outdoor sports such as you mentioned, and for exploring charming Bavarian villages (Ettal, Fussen, Obberammergau). When we visited we noticed a good amount of B&B's catering to hikers and skiers right on the town center. Restaurants were excellent. If you need to switch with Innsbruck to fit in G/P, I would recommend going for it. You can drive from G/P to Salzburg, just outstanding, beautiful countryside. <BR> <BR>If you are inclined to cross the Dolomites and drive towards Venice, allow at a minimum 3-4 days. Another breathtaking ride, estimate twice the time from Innsbruck. That in itself is quite a hike, so you may want to plan this carefully and realistically. Have a great time!

wes fowler Mar 4th, 2001 10:08 AM

Allison, <BR>For hiking, look to the area called Pfaffenwinkel in southwestern Bavaria by the Romantic Road. There are a number of interesting clearly marked trails, one along the river Lech, which parallels the Romantic Road. I tried to Email you with some itinerary suggestions to no avail. If you're interested, drop me an Email. Can recommend an inexpensive inn and a couple of fine equally inexpensive restaurants in the area as well.

BOB THE NAVIGATOR Mar 4th, 2001 01:32 PM

Allison, You have good start but I would add some ideas to consider. After your time in Austria do not spend time in Innsbruck---get down to the Dolomites in Italy-probably Val Gardena or Riva del Garda. From there, drive over to Lake Como and try to stay on the west shore or in Bellagio. Then, drive up to St. Moritz and the Engadine valley enroute to near Reutte. Use that as your base for the castles of Bavaria. <BR>Spend your last nite on Chiemsee, only about 1:30 to the airport. <BR> <BR>I am taking you at your word that you love natural beauty---this is it ! <BR>Let me know if you need some help on the details of this itinerary--one of my absolute favorites.

Allison Mar 19th, 2001 05:22 PM

Thank you everyone for taking the time to share with me your experience and insights! <BR> <BR>Allison