Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris Apartment Cuisine - What did you like from Picard?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be in Paris again, in an apartment, for 10 days in late September. After a full day out and about, we usually do not go out to eat in in the evenings, and prepare a light meal at "home."

I've noticed several people have mentioned liking the frozen food selections from Picard. Since there's a Picard near our apartment, I'm thinking that their offerings would greatly expand my repertoire beyond rotisserie chicken and potatoes, and various pasta dishes.

I'm looking for recommendations for things you have enjoyed from Picard. Also, would like to know about anything from there that you would not recommend.

Thanks!
GG
Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 01:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Maine - you piqued my interest so i went to my friend google, and found this:

http://www.picard.fr/

loads of info about their foods and costs. I liked the summer catalogue with "entrees" such as tomato tarts. at €3.95 for 2, well worth trying!
Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 10:21 PM

Definitely the sorbet. I also like to buy frozen spinach, as not to have to clean fresh spinach. It works quite well if I want a spinach omelette for breakfast and the leftover spinach for dinner. Happy Travels!
Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 10:23 PM

Forgot to add that Picard's spinach is frozen in cubes. So, one can just take out as many cubes as needed. Happy Travels!
Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 10:56 PM

While some would be horrified at the thought of frozen meals in Paris, they do offer something. We were in Paris for the first time in Sept last year and after a full day out [ we walked everywhere including up to level 2 of the ET and up the Arc de Triomphe] we often did not feel like going out, so Picard was great. We were lucky to have a full oven in our apartment and quite enjoyed the salmon and spinach lasagne as well as a couple of the vegetable dishes with some meatballs. We also had simple meals of baguette, cheese and charcuterie. Lest people think we are strange by not going to restaurants all the time , I will add that this was the first week of a nine week trip[ 7 weeks in France and 2 in Italy] and there is no way we can afford to eat out every day! We have to pace ourselves. The meals we had out were great, and we have wonderful memories of Paris, Picard included!
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

annhig - I just went through the summer catalog. Hope some of the featured items are still available in September. Those tomato tarts look wonderful.

Guenmai - Frozen spinach in cubes - what a neat idea, and I love good sorbet.

rhon - The salmon and spinach lasagne sounds interesting. Like you, we try to pace ourselves and stay within our budget. But, really, if the budget were huge, I still think we would prefer to go "home" at the end of the day, have a glass of wine, something light to eat, and relax.

Thanks all for your suggestions. Keep them coming!
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 09:38 AM

Mini ice cream cones!! We had a lovely quiche one night and another night we had lasagna. The only thing we didn't like -- and it was my own fault-- we bought duck breasts. I didn't realize they weren't prepared, just frozen breasts. I defrosted them and when I went to nuke them, imagine my surprise! I did go back to the store and bought a some broth to try and make an orange sauce, but, meh. Nuking the breasts was awful. They also sell reusuable grocery bags for .80 Euro. Makes a fun little gift for those back home.

http://www.picard.fr/Modules/LaBouti...uits/4028.html
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 09:42 AM

MaineGG: Yes, it's a neat idea to put the spinach into frozen cubes. Then one knows exactly how many cubes to use. If it's only me eating and no friends are over, then I know I only need to drop one or two cubes into the pot.

I'm with you on preferring to go "home" at the end of the day to have something light to eat and to relax. I hate having to be restaurant dependent and especially restaurant reservation dependent. So, I eat at the apartment mostly for dinner, but do occasionally eat out at a nice restaurant if my Parisian friends and I decide to go out to try a place. But, many times they come over and I cook dinner.

I do however eat lunch out, daily, at one of my favorite neighborhood restaurants. But, I eat there first before I start my day and then when I'm out and about, I don't have to rush or worry about meals or where I'm later going to eat dinner. I just take my time all day and then go "home" and eat dinner. Happy Travels!
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

DebitNM, That bag would make a nice souvenir or gift. I went to the accessory page and found another bag described as a "cabas non isotherme." I'm wondering if this bag is insulated to keep things cold?

http://www.picard.fr/Modules/LaBouti...soires283.html

Guenmai, we'll definitely have some restaurant lunches here and there. It's nice to sit down for an hour or so in the middle of the day and have a good meal.
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 10:29 AM

I live in Nice where I run a small B&B, & I love some of Picard's products. I make their croissants from frozen dough every day for my guests; they are far better than the local bakeries & much less expensive. (And before everyone starts crying "outrage!", I recently read that over 90% of the croissants sold in France are made from frozen dough). Their frozen bread on the other hand is not so good, although I do like their bagels.
Since I am usually only cooking for myself, their range of frozen vegetables is perfect. It is not only spinach that comes in cubes; there is sweet potato, carrot puree, olive oil mashed potatoes, all sorts of good things. And while I go to the market almost every day, I can't be bothered cleaning & chopping & cooking vegetables just for myself, so these products are super time savers, & you only make what you need.
The prepared dishes on the other hand are just okay, not great, things like lasagne & canneloni & curry. Smoked salmon, guacamole, beef carpaccio, seafood & fish all good, quiches & tarts good & good value, pizza not good. I cannot imagine how a microwaved duck breast must have tasted, tough would be my guess .
The desserts however are really special. The mini ice cream cones are good, the sorbets inside the orange/lemon skins are delicious, raspberry tart, apple tart tatin, chocolate cake, all delicious. Best of all they have just stated carrying "Bonne Mamam" brand vanilla ice cream & lemon sorbet, oh joy.
So lots of choices, & almost everything good. They are not cheap, but they are very good value, & consistantly high quality.
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 10:30 AM

I believe that the bag is NOT insulated because of the wording, "non - isothemre".
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 10:36 AM

We also had to olive oil mashed potatoes with the duck, they were good. The duck was tough, but not gamey.

We also had chocolate lava cakes that were nuked, very good.

While the prices might seem high, it was far less expensive that eating out every night.
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

DebitNM, I thought that the probable meaning is "not insulated," but because Picard sells only frozen products, it seems that they would sell some kind of insulated bag to get your yummy mini ice cream cones home before they melt. The chocolate lava cakes too. Maybe I'll take my small insulated Trader Joe's bag.

Jomackenzie - Thanks! Lots of great suggestions.
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 12:39 PM

Picard has insulated bags or at least they did a couple of years ago. I'm still using mine at home. You may want to bring a regular grocery bag (or two) that folds up since you can use that at Picard and the supermarket. We liked the cheese tarts, croissants and some of the veg. Agree w/Jomackenzie about the prepared dishes like lasagna being just ok. Hope you have a great trip!
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 12:43 PM

Here you can see a pic of the bags:

http://www.qffintl.com/pdf/october_2...geleswayof.cfm

It's strange that the store in this photo is painted red. The ones in which we've shopped in Paris and the South of France reminded me more of a medical lab: very white w/bright lights. OK, probably TMI.
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 09:55 PM

I'm a big fan of picard, and i'm one who usually cooks with fresh ingredients at home. When we vacation for a month in france this is what we use for our inhome dinner, especially when returning home from the beach at 8pm, i am in no mood ro cook or get cleaned up and go out.
A few of my favorites:
taboulli, one of the best i've had, fresh , with mint and raisians, so a little different but great
Mussels provencal, all cleanes, out of shells, nice sauce, i will serve this over pasta
Tomatoe tarts are indeed good
Lamb confit, a delishious lamb shank with a great sauce and tiny veggies, i serve this with their mushroom rissoto, also acceptable
Pasta with chicken and veggies, i was so shocked to discover that the pasta was not overcooked and mushy, this one is light and great to have on hand for a quicky
Their little appetizers are quote good, an assortment of cold soups, pea with mint, carrot, tomatoe and basil, tiny tastes
Citron sorbets in the orNge or lemon shells
Sorbet balls
Vacerin, one of the best cor me
Cod fish in a basil sauce..not my favorite but acceptable

What i also like about picards is the portion size is reasonable, not huge, and ther is a calorie count on all of the products, which is quite low because of the size of the entres, which helps me to eat well and not over do
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 10:41 PM

I forgot to add that Picard also has some good soups. When I was staying with my Parisian friend, he cooked Picard every day and we had soup. He took out some frozen cubes, put them into a glass bowl, and stuck the bowl into the microwave and then there was soup.

Soup made from frozen cubes was something totally new for me as I have never had it before and I've never owned a microwave. I'm lucky to have fresh produce/fruit here, in L.A., year round and load up on it weekly and do all of the washing and chopping. Here at home, I make all of my soups from scratch. So, Picard items are interesting when I'm in Paris at either his place or at my rented apartments. Happy Travels!
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 10:53 PM

I am in Paris right now, and last night we picked a few things at Picard for dinner.

My husband had the meatballs with potatoes, son had the <i>Penne aux champignons a la creme</i>, and I had the pasta with chicken and vegetables. All were very good and we ate them with baguette in olive oil and a glass of wine.

We also picked out some grilled vegetables, mussels provencale and some quiches.

We don't buy frozen pastries as there is a patisserie right next door to our apartment.

If you are even too lazy to microwave or cook, see if there is a <i>daily monop'</i> near you which sells delicious sandwiches and salads.
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 10:58 PM

Sorry MaineGG, "too lazy" might be misconstrued...I really meant to say <b>too tired</b>
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 10:29 AM

We bought some things from Picard during this last trip for our babysitter to prepare for the kids for dinner. The faves that stand out are the Swedish meatballs, mini ice cream cones, organic string beans and dauphinoise potatoes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -