Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Itinerary suggestion for a trip into Nice, France
Notices

Itinerary suggestion for a trip into Nice, France

Aug 21st, 2013, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Itinerary suggestion for a trip into Nice, France

Hello!

This is actually for my sister and brother who will be traveling into Nice, France late September. They will be there exactly 8 days. They are young, want to travel by rail only and love the outdoors. They aren't interested in nightlife. They enjoy history and architecture too but I think they'll be happy as long as the scenery is beautiful. Suggestions please?? I promised I'd help them out. So far, my questions are 1. Is it possible to get around by rail only? 2. Is this area doable with a moderate budget and 3. What are the must-see sights here?

Thanks!
Aug 21st, 2013, 04:45 PM

1. Rail and bus.

3. Since they are the ones going to Nice, they perhaps should invest in a guidebook for the area.
Aug 21st, 2013, 04:52 PM

Answers:
1. Yes - rail & bus will get them around to visit all the coastal towns - except St Tropez. I believe that you have to take a boat from Cannes(?) to get to San Tropez. You can get to some of the wonderful hill villages by bus - but it is not as efficient as by a car. We've spent 16 weeks vacationing on the Cote d'Azur. Next year we're going to Nice for 2 weeks. We're planning on not having a car for the first 5-6 days, but then renting a car for the remainder of the time so we can explore the beautiful Nice Hinterland - lots of wonderful canyons, remote villages, gorges, rivers, mountain vistas, etc.

2. Do they already have their hotel secured? That can impact the budget. You can eat very inexpensively in Nice. Pizza, mussels, etc.

3. Must see sites. They can determine the many museums in the area if they get the Michelin Green Guide for the Riveria. Like I stated earlier - we've spent 16 weeks exploring that area - not just Nice but the backcountry/Alps, St Tropez, Var, etc. I developed a 27 page itinerary that describes our favorite villages, scenic drives, markets, sites, etc. I've sent it to over 3,000 people on Fodors. If you/they would like a copy, e-mail me at [email protected] & I'll attach a copy to the reply e-mail. Let me know that you want the Cote d'Azur/Provence itinerary because I have several others and I get 5-8 requests for various itineraries every day.

Stu Dudley
Aug 22nd, 2013, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Thank you stu! Got the email.

Search this Thread