Tour guide in Ephesus

Old Sep 26th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tour guide in Ephesus

I would like a recommendation for a guide in Ephesus for my mother, sister and myself for one day. We want to go to Mary's House and the best attractions. The guide will need a car as well as my mother has a difficult time walking. Also, I would like a suggestion forma beautiful restaurant.

Thank you!
Old Sep 27th, 2012, 05:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't believe that the actual site of Ephesus will be accessible by car. We were there earlier this year and can't recall any vehicles as we walked through and down the hill into the main square.

Perhaps more locally based Fodorites can confirm or otherwise?
Old Sep 27th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the help!
Old Sep 27th, 2012, 03:53 PM
kja

I agree - no cars within the site of Ephesus, but you would need a car (or taxi) to get to and from Ephesus and to Mary's House.

When at the site, start at the top and walk down. It's bit of a way, but mostly a gentle slope, except for the Terrace Houses, which have a lot of staircases. (I don't believe there is access for handicapped visitors at the Terrace House.) I would guess that a wheelchair ride through the main parts of the site would be a bit bumpy (because of uneven pavement), but it might be easier for your mother than walking, so you might want to check into options for renting one.

Hope that helps!
Old Sep 28th, 2012, 06:24 AM

We used Hello Ephesus three years ago when we were on a med cruise. The guide picked us up (three couples) in a van promptly at the time arranged and we spent the day with him at Ephesus and the surrounding sites. The website is www.helloephesus.com

We were very pleased with the tour and thought the price quite reasonable.

Walking can be difficult as the pavement is uneven. It would be a shame to miss the Terrace Houses as for us they were a highlight.
Old Sep 28th, 2012, 08:17 AM

I highly recommend Samyeli Travel Turkey. www.samelyelitravel.com
We have used them twice. The second time we tailored our itinerary to meet the needs of a friend who particularly wanted to visit the Virgin Mary's House. That go us to Ephesus late in the day. While it was hot, the grounds were nearly empty and we were the only tourists in the Painted Terraces for the better part of an hour. (Incidentally, we were carrying sun reflective umbrellas. These made the outdoors much more tolerable.)

If you engage them, you might want to ask for Levant as your guide. Not only does he know the sights very well, he also communicated his excitement about new finds in a charming way.

But, Ephesus has a lot of walking to see the site. With limited mobility, you might consider the Temple of Artemis and the Museum rather than the site itself.
Old Sep 28th, 2012, 09:56 AM

Jeff801-- did you mean: http://www.samyelitravel.com/?
Old Sep 29th, 2012, 06:51 AM

That's correct. I had trouble copying and transposed a letter when I was typing. The direct email address is [email protected].
Old Sep 29th, 2012, 03:42 PM

We used Ephesus Tours and would highly recommend them.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...ean_Coast.html
Old Oct 1st, 2012, 12:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your help. It has really been wonderful.

Allyson