Itinerary: Review and critique, Per Favore

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2004, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First timers to Italy, not first timers to Europe. Group of 5 women/men landing in Rome on the 31st of March. Not being related to the other 4, (as most are to each other) I?ve been delegated the task of planning. If I blow it, I?m disposable!
We know that first night is a bust (jetlag!), staying in Rome (apartment) near Termini Station. Have arraigned pick up and delivery to and from the Apartment to airport on departure and arrival (45 euro each way) just to make it easy on us.
Next Morning, us April fools will take train to Naples (destination Sorrento for three nights) and wanted to take in the Archeological Museum.
Here?s the first of the questions: Has anyone done that museum recently and if we are all carrying our backpacks we will have trouble taking them into the museum? Also saw posting where it appeared the Museum is too far from the Trenitalia station to walk. Anyone second that? How far is too far?
After the Museum, we would like to take the hydrofoil to Sorrento, could we walk from Museum to bay area where these depart?
We have three nights in an Apartment about 6km from city of Sorrento, up a hill on Via Nastro Verde. Some say that S. Agata Sui Due Golfi is a short walk up the hill from where we are staying? Thought if that were true, we may walk there for dinner and spend the first night ?relaxing?. Have checked out local city bus routes and believe we can easily navigate from our ?perch? into Sorrento, for our planned daytrips to Pompeii, and Capri the following days and then to make our connection to get back on the boat and get into Naples to make the connection back to Rome, where we plan to spend our last three nights.
We will be returning to the same apartment in Rome, near Termini, and plan to spend a day seeing ?the sights? and a day seeing the Vatican/Museums. From our apartment, is walking possible to see Coliseum, Forum, Trevi Fountain, Spanish steps and similar? We believe the Vatican might be best if by bus, but read enough to be very afraid of thieves, pickpockets and such to wonder if that?s the smartest option. We are all aware that we really don?t have much time in Italy, want to see so much but thought enjoying it would be nice also so we narrowed it down and left ?wiggle room?.
Thoughts, suggestions, ideas?

Thanks all!
Kath
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 03:32 PM

5 people--early April---staying well outside Sorrento--I would get a van and drive south after arrival. Stay in Sperlonga and then head down to Sorrento, seeing Pompeii enroute. Too many travel logistics for a group of 5
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 03:56 PM
ira

Hi lewis,

First, read "Innocents Abroad" by Mark Twain.

Second see my trip report, it might help. We went to the Archaeolgical Museum. The Capelle Sansevero is much better. You take the Metro to the Museum stop.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34451044

Second see this thread, it might help
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34443340

Third, listen to whatever Bobthenavigator tells you.
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 06:19 AM
ira

topping for lewis
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 08:43 AM

Hi Lewis.

I will respectfully disagree with Ira. The Archeological museum is definitely worth seeing. You cannot take backpacks any museum, except for the Acedemia in Florence. There is a coatcheck area adjecent to the ticket buying area where you can check you bags. Believe me, you don't want to haul all that stuff around a museum anyway.

The Archeological Musem and the Nazionale Museo Romana were the highlights of my trip last September. Try to get an English language guided tour through the museum. The English audioguide stinks. Also, sign up for the Secret Room tour when you check your bags.

If you are planning a trip to Pompei, the Archeological Museum is a must. It houses a huge collection from that site. Also, check out the bookshop in the Museum and pick up a copy of Pompei Then & Now. It is a small, plastic covered, spiral bound book that has great overlays showing Pompei and its heyday and Pompei now. It will really help you orientate yourself once you're in Pompei. I also found the selection of souveniers to be better at the Museum, than at Pompei. I regret having not bought a vase at the Museum, instead of waiting until I got to Pompei.

You could probably fit in both the Archeological Museum and Capella Sansevero. They are less than a 10 minute walk from each other. The Capella closes at 6pm, but the Museum doesn't close until 8pm. Neither are open on Tuesdays.

There is a Metro stop at Pza Cavour, which is a 2 minute walk from the Museum. You get off of the train from Rome at the Central Station, then walk downstairs and buy a Metro ticket. You get on the Metro and get off at the first stop. The Museum is a big pink building to your right as you exit from the Metro. You could also just taxi it to the Museum.

Rick Steves' Rome guidebook has great instructions on daytrips to Naples and Pompei, including maps. It's really all you need.

I think that all of the sights are within walking distance in Rome. But, it really depends on your endurance. You can always use the Metro, which is a fast and efficient means of transportation.

Keep in mind that the line to get into the Vatican Museum is normally quite long. I would also recommend that you take a guided tour of that museum so that you get a good understanding of the collection. I highly recommend the guiding services of Eleonora Ferrazza. You can contact her at [email protected].

I also recommend that you at the Museo Nazionale Romana to your list of sites. It is a five minute walk from Termini on Palazzo Massimo alla Terme. Once again, pick up Rick Steves' Rome guidebook for more info.

As for pickpockets, I think that some people have this idea that Italy is teaming with theives laying in wait to attack any person that they see. Well, it's not like that. Just protect yourself and possessions as you would in any large city. Don't carry your backpack on your back when in crowds. Don't carry your passport around with you. Separate your credit cards and cash into separete compartments, etc and just enjoy your trip.
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 11:32 AM

I haven't been to Cappella Sansevero, but I do think the archeological museum is definitely worth a trip. If you go,be sure to sign up for the "adults only" tour. It doesn't cost any extra but you have to register. There is a left luggage (deposito bagagli) in Napoli Centrale train staion so you won't have to lug your backpacks to the museum(s).
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the good suggestions, information and tips! Ira, I have not researched Cappella Sansevero, but now feel I need to check into it and see if I can add it in. I had read your adventures and you seem to know Italy the way most of us only wish we could!
Bobthenavigator, especially like the idea of renting a van and heading south. Do not know if the others would appreciate being left behind <grin> but know they 86d the idea of driving when we first started planning so I am really out numbered on that.
MizzEve, thanks for all the input, especially the detail about the coat check. I had read about it but was not sure about checking backpacks there. Would simplify things not to have to take a special trip back to the train station just to retrieve, Pompei and Capri are musts, non-negotiable requests, everyone gets ONE of those, mine was the museum, especially after I found out about the secret room. I have Rick Steves 2003 Italy as well as Fordors Naples, Capri and Amalfi coast, which I used for much of my research (along with endless hours on the net) but it is especially nice to have feedback from someone whos been there.
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 03:23 PM

Lewis, I wouldn't get all so "excited" about the Secret Room. It's a rather small collection of mosaics, frescos, and sculptures of large penises.

All the Secret Room collection did for me was to confirm my belief that men throughout the ages have clearly lacked the ability to accurately perceive size and they believe that the world revolves around this one part of their anatomy.

From an artistic perspective, there are much better mosiacs and frescos contained within that very museum (even better ones at the Museo Nazionale Romana). Otherwise, the content is not much different that you'll find on bathroom wall or in any adult male-orientated magazine.

That said, make sure that you are at the Secret Room a few minutes before they open the room. Otherwise, you may find the collection blocked by tour groups. I was unlucky enough to find myself in there with a German tour group and I swear those people just stood in front of all the exhibits in total awe, completely blocking the view.
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

MizzEve
The draw of the secret room is the unexpected! Since Im the only one doing research, the others have no idea where Im leading them, and thats what makes it fun!
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 05:37 PM

Hello...I was a first timer in Rome this past November. I relied on a lot of info from this site and had a wonderful trip. We stayed at the Hotel Duca D'ALba which is between the Termini station and the Coliseum. We saw much of Rome in three days and traveled a little with Rome as our home base. You can see all of the sights if you don't mind walking a lot. The sights you mentioned are all a distance from Termini but we covered all of rome on foot during the day with an occasional taxi ride back at night when we were tired. Rome does have Taxis that accomodate up to six people. Buy a good map and enjoy!! We also used the subway without difficulty and did not have any problems with pickpockets...just use general safety rules...just like in the USA. Have fun!!
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 06:33 PM

Remind them when they are sclepping[sp] their bags on the Circumversuviana with the harried masses.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Hello bsktfan, and thanks for the info. I've traveled with 3 of the four others and know one isn't too fond of walking, one is and the other is in between. I wasn't sure if taxi's would fit all five, so that's really good to know! I've got two more maps ordered, one of Rome and one of Naples and Amalfi coast, both streetwise. I'm hoping I can find more detail about the smaller villages such as S. Agata and distance since we are really into the people when we travel and want to seek out a quieter less touristy place in hopes to have some pleasant interaction. Still haven't found a decent map with that kind of detail, but haven't given up.
bobthenavigator: I know what you mean re: schlepping as I travel for business within the states frequently and find it a bother to use public transport while dragging a carryon or backpack, even the small ones. However, they are "older and wiser" and believe that first class train tickets will afford them some luxury. I'm not a believer, but would love to be proven wrong as I'm sure I'll catch grief for being the youngest - again, like in Kiev. I took the stairs, 6 flights, not trusting the elevator. They were only stuck in the elevator for about 45 minutes before someone came to get them out. I've not lived that down, they tease me still, I resist the "I told you so's" and we all get along fine. Love them like family. I'm just really glad that we only have two days of schlepping backpacks on the train! Might be able persuade them to take a taxi from and to downtown Sorrento on the train days after that fist ride though! Hope springs eternal..
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 09:35 AM
ira

Hi Lewis,

I don't wish to be unkind, but I don't want you to be too disappointed.

The secret room is a collection of erotica from some Bishop, whose name escapes me. Most of it is not even from Pompeii, and a lot of it is fake antiquities.

If you can fit it in, the Veiled Christ at the Capella Sansevero is well worth going to see.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Hi Ira,

I'm not expecting much from that exhibit, only thought it would be a hoot to take a couple minutes and pass through. Appreciate the input though, no offense taken. The original intent was to see the artifacts taken from Pompei since one in our group felt 3 days would be good in Pompei to explore the ruins. When I discovered most of what she was expecting to see was in the museum, I'd made that suggestion. Made it easier to convince her a day trip to Pompei would be enough.

Before I make my plea to the group to make another stop while we pass through Naples, does Capella Sansevero have a coat check where we could check our bags, or will we need to store them at the train station? Really hoped to avoid that, but might not have a choice?
Thanks
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 02:47 PM

"Before I make my plea to the group to make another stop while we pass through Naples"

This is exactly why I travel solo.

Lewis - I really believe that you don't have to worry about coat checks. If you are not allowed to carry in bags, a storage area will be provided. Seriously. No one is going to make you leave your bags outside. Don't worry about it.

Further, it's not an EITHER/OR decision regarding the Capella Sansevero and the Archeological Museum. They are less than a 10 minute walk from each other (please see my post above regarding hours of operation). There is no reason why you couldn't go to both places.

Plus, you have to pass Cafe Fiorillo, en route between the two. This is a great place to stop for a bite to eat and a cafe. Please send Signore Fiorillo my regards.

There is no reason why your group can't stop for a rest at Cafe Fiorillo while those of you who may be interested in the Capella walk the three very short blocks, returning to the cafe to meet up with your group. I don't think that you will have to convince your entire group to go to both places.
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 01:09 PM

We are planning on going end of jan of next year to Rome for 2 weeks. We have flight tickets but need advise on hotel/stay for 6 people. Any ideas? Any good books for Italy other than fodors?

Thanks ! Happy Holidays
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 02:30 PM

Hi Anne,

You will have much more success in replies if you re-post your question under your own, new post. Give it a specific title too.

Buona fortuna!
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Pausanias

Wow. Can't believe someone is even hinting that you might want to pass on the Archaeological Museum. It's one of the world's great collections. Yes, the statues need dusting and some galleries aren't always open. That's Italy. Don't even think of missing it.