I'm new here. I've just booked my flights for the last week of March. I'm flying into Venice and out of Rome. I'd love some recommendations for itineraries that suit my interests. We will have 8 full days plus a half day on our day of arrival (landing in Venice @ 2pm). We were thinking Venice -> Florence and/or Surrounding Tuscany Region -> Rome.
Note: I'm not super stressed about seeing the "famous sights" and/or every single historical museum. Please don't ask me why. The colosseum seems cool and all but it doesn't get me that excited. I would be miserable and bored waiting in a line for a museum or sight everyday-- seeing one is fine, seeing all of them isn't necessary for me. I'd love to try and see a more authentic side ( and yes I understand that I am visiting highly touristy and visited areas....I fear I will get myself in trouble for saying this so please--don't jump down my throat, thanks). What I mean is that I am from NYC and I generally am more fascinated by natural landscape, food, culture, and historic architecture-- things that will make me feel like I am actually in a different place. I want to walk around, eat a lot of food, and visit local shops.
I've considered bypassing Rome other than the one night stayover before our flight (also because it will be Easter weekend and I've heard it will be a crazy time) and trying to see some more southern areas...but that seems like it might be a stretch.
Thoughts and recommendations?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 European Christmas Markets Itinerary
- 2 Family vacation
- 3 Tips for first trip to UK
- 4 London flat feedback wanted - yes, I'm going slightly crazy!
- 5 GTG Paris December 2017
- 6 Looking for Good Eating in Valencia
- 7 Dubrovnik
- 8 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 9 Yet another London Hotel Question
- 10 How many miles is a good 'walking tour'?
- 11 Paris, Normandy & Amsterdam with College Graduate
- 12 Pubs showing NFL football in London?
- 13 May Germany, Switzerland, and Iceland
- 14 Three nights in the Italian Riviera: hiking in Camogli with day trips
- 15 Christmas in South of Spain 2018
- 16 Spain December/ January 2018/19
- 17 which language school in Italy?
- 18 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy
- 19 Driving
- 20 3 weeks driving the Netherlands
- 21 Help With Itinerary By Train: London, Paris, Nice, Florence
- 22 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help
- 23 Christmas Markets 2017
- 24 Budget trip
- 25 Adventureseeker returns to Italy! As glorious and detailed as before!