Itinerary recommendation 4 nights scotland

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In a prior post I thought we would be arriving into Edinburgh on Monday July 3. It now appears that we will be arriving into Glasgow on July 3. We wanted to get a taste of the highlands before we have to leave for home on Friday, July 7, midafternoon. Our flight gets in late to Glasgow (10 or 11 PM) and we're not expecting to spend any time there.

We thought we would basically just land there, stay at an OK place (just to sleep) and get going early Tuesday morning. Any recommendations for where to stay just to crash for 1 night for family of 5?

The one thing we really wanted to do was take the "Harry Potter" train. We thought the kids would get a real kick out of this, but is it worth doing? The only other thing we particularly wanted to do was go to Skye.

We are really open to whatever itinerary suggestions anybody would have, along with any recommendations for accomodations. Finally, should we stay in Edinburgh Thurs. night and see a little (very little) of the city before we leave for home on Friday?

OK, I guess this is finally - should we rent a car to see some of the highlands or go by train? THANKS SO MUCH -
Old May 13th, 2006, 05:08 PM

You realy need to hire a car as you get to see much more that way, pick it up from the airport. You don't say if whcih airport you are flying home from.
Arran would be a better island fro you to vist the ferry crossing in Ardrossan is not that far from glasgow. It is know as minture scotland. Oban is also a good palce to stay for a couple of days as it as it is good location for getting out and about for a few places.It aslo has a working distillery you can take a tour of and then sample their whiskkey. Loch Lommond is also ver nice.

http://www.loch-lomond.net/
http://www.oban.org.uk/
http://www.calmac.co.uk/
http://www.ayrshire-arran.com/
Old May 13th, 2006, 05:14 PM

http://www.visithighlands.com/fort-william-lochaber/

there is a lik about the Harry Potter train trip on this site. I forgot to add it to my reply.
Old May 13th, 2006, 05:20 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK - which is it -- Prestwick ot Glasgow?? On your other thread you said you were arriving at Prestwick and leaving from Edinburgh. Prestwick and Glasgow are NOT the same airport.

Old May 13th, 2006, 05:22 PM

That should be "Prestwick OR Glasgow . . "
Old May 13th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Original Poster

janisj: you are right. At the time of this post I wasn't sure which airport. Now I know it is Prestwick.
Old May 13th, 2006, 09:22 PM

OK - as I tried to explain, Prestwick is <b>NOT</b> Glasgow. It is on the Ayrshire coast SW of Glasgow. On your other thread I gave you a couple of itineraries that would work from Prestwick w/ your limited time.
Old May 17th, 2006, 02:56 AM

I've missed this, through gross overwork. If it were me, I'd take the train from Glasgow to Fort William on the Tuesday. That would take you till lunchtime. You can probably find a tour or something to do in the afternoon.

Take the Jacobite the next day. The kids (and you) will love it.

Hire a car from Mallaig, where the train stops, and drive and sail to Skye. Spend the rest of Wednesday and Thursday on Skye and drive back to Prestwick.

Or do the same thing with a car. You will certainly see more if you do.

Old May 17th, 2006, 05:13 AM

Sheila: The two threads are confusing, but I believe 3mkids is arriving at Prestwick and then flying out of EDI.