This is my first time posting on the boards. I have noticed that many of you have given great advice to travellers! So, in saying that, I have read that it is best to stay longer in certain areas to get a better feel of the area.
My wife and I are planning on travelling to Europe sometime in the near future for two months (likely May and June). We are both in our mid-20s. We will be backpacking and will be flying from Canada to England likely as a starting point. I would like to know if there are any redundancies in our trip and if some places we should stay longer (I know, I know! I'd stay in one place for a month if we could, but we do want too see Europe). We understand that we need to focus our trip so that we do not get bogged down travelling on trains and buses, ultimately draining our energy. We also want to balance that with seeing as much as possible without feeing exhausted.
We are mostly interested in history, and going to places off the beaten path. Not terribly interested in spending our travel dollars on nights out at bars. It is our first trip, so we would like to hit a few of the larger cities as well.
(Fly into London)
London - 2
Bath - 4 (visiting family)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands - 2
Brussels, Belgium- 1
Ghent, Belgium- 1
Bruges, Belgium- 2
Cologne, Germany- 2
Frankfurt, Germany - 1
Heidelberg, German- 3
Rothenburg, Germany - 1
Munich, Germany - 3
Interlaken/Gimmelwald, Switzerland - 3
Venice, Italy - 2 (this is out of the way, but my wife wants to see it because we are so close and we won't be travelling to Italy for a very long time)
Salzburg, Austria - 2
Vienna, Austria - 4
Prague, Czech Republic -3
Dresden, Germany -1
Berlin, Germany 3
(Fly out from Berlin)
This totals 40 days, so we have an additional 20 days to play with. What cities should we add those extra days to?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help
- 2 20th wedding anniversary, Le Grand Tour
- 3 Driving
- 4 "chunnel" to change it's offical name.
- 5 Highway Death Rates in Europe Now Fewer than in U.S...
- 6 Poland--where else to go
- 7 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 8 5 days in Andalusia
- 9 Malaga Christmas lights
- 10 Three nights in the Italian Riviera: hiking in Camogli with day trips
- 11 South of France
- 12 The Little Cyclades, Santorini, Vienna
- 13 GTG Paris December 2017
- 14 Scooter/quad/bike rental on Greek Islands
- 15 First time in Spain - family of 2 adults & one child(10 yr old)
- 16 Bilbao, Basque Country, declared Best European City 2018
- 17 Shall we Gdansk?
- 18 Help with Spain itinerary
- 19 Paris, Normandy & Amsterdam with College Graduate
- 20 London - Paris - Amsterdam trip planning help
- 21 Ronda by bus in early January?
- 22 Planning a Poland itinerary
- 23 Yet another London Hotel Question
- 24 Good base for visiting Le Marche region
- 25 Christmas in South of Spain 2018