Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary opinion for first time in Switzerland in Late march

Originally, I had plans to stay in lucerne and use that as a base:

Day 1: arrive geneva afternoon, stroll around and head to lucerne I evening
Day 2: early start to go to engelberg
Day 3. Not sure
Day 4 head back to zurich
Day 5 fly back

But now I have second thoughts. I would love to stay in the Bernese Oberland area. Maybe stay in lauterbrunnen as a base. If weather is good then I can head to jungfrau , if not, then I can head to bern, or other areas around there??

My biggest worry is that it would be bad weather in march, snowing?? Make it unpleasant for hiking? I love to snowboard, but I am alone on this trip and its difficult to lug all my boarding gear (not the board, but the pants, jackets etc), so I probably should avoid that.

If I stay in lauterbrunnen, would I be able to enjoy the area without snowboarding?? I love hiking and I'm a runner, but I'm not sure if the weather permits me to hike, and I'm worried about hiking alone too.

My thoughts were-

3/23: arrive geneva at noon, either hang out in geneva or go to montreux, then head to lauternbrunnen in the evening.
3/24: check weather, if ok, go to jungfrau , if not, hiking around the area or go to bern
3/25: same thing
3/26: explore the area or head to zurich
3/27: early flight home to US

Would this work??

Given it would be in march, solo trip, which option would you do?
Old Feb 28th, 2013, 08:23 AM

the Jungfrau Region is the absolute highlight of Switzerland, both literally and figuratively and Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald or Wengen are much more than snow-boarding - wonderful walks or hikes though March may not be the optimal time for those with snow or mud.

Yet taking aerial gondolas and trains can still be fun - there is so so much to see and do in the Jungfrau Region - I suppose Lucerne would be better in foul weather however and Bern too.

You could leave it in flux - it is easy to arrange hotels in Interlaken on arrival IME - there is a hotel board at both train stations with free phone to call places with green lights to indicate vacancies - if the weather is nice then the Jungfrau will be spectacular.
Old Feb 28th, 2013, 08:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The trip (by rail) up to Engleberg and Mt. Titlis from Lucern can easily be done in a half day including the ascent in the three-stage cable car system. The trip to and from Engleberg is scenic and the views from Mt. Titlis are, as you would expect, spectacular.

However it certainly would not compare IMO to a day or two in the Jungfrau region.
Old Feb 28th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

you guys are the best!!! I think it would be ashame if I do not go to the bernese Oberland area!

Questions-

1. So even if the weather is okay, hiking is not fun or pretty in late march in the area?
2. Given my situation (alone, never been to switzerland, weather unpredictability)- would you pick lauterbrunnen or interlaken as a base to stay?
Old Feb 28th, 2013, 09:21 AM

Late March is winter. There will be alot of snow in the mountains. Do you want to go hiking in the snow?

If you are thinking green fields full of cows and Heidi - that is May - not March. Some of the Alpine passes are blocked with snow until June.

No point in ascending the Jungfrau if the top is in the clouds (often) since you can see about 4 feet in front of you.

I think the trip is great but the wrong time of year unless you want to ski.
Old Feb 28th, 2013, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

I think that's kind of my point. Date is firm, flight is firm due to award ticket situation.

If I stay in lucern, will it be more reasonable?
I'm asking because I don't know.
Old Feb 28th, 2013, 03:46 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I can't help with much but I'd definitely "hang out" in Vevey or Montreux instead of Geneva right at the start.
Old Feb 28th, 2013, 09:14 PM

Hi fayewolf,

I personally always enjoy a day or two of hiking in the middle or end of my ski trips. There are always a few trails that are kept free of mounds of snow, and I like to get out into the counryside to see the beauty of nature. You can see the winter hiking trails at

http://jungfrauregion.ch/en/Holidays...Winter_Walking

Alternately, of course, you could rent some snowshoes and go snowshoing for a few days.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Feb 28th, 2013, 10:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There are PALM TREES in Montreux! A lot depends on what PART of Switzerland you are in in terms of how much snow might still be on the ground.
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 06:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would never go to the BO in March to go hiking.

However, if you really want to do this trip, please stay in Wengen or Murren, not Interlaken.

It is easiest to get to Kleine Scheidegg from Wengen or Grindelwald, but I don't like Grindelwald because it is not car-free like Wengen is.

Don't forget to buy a half-fare card at Geneva Airport.

Thin
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 06:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PS

Best hike in BO is from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg. Could be very muddy or closed because of snow however. You also have to check to see if Mannlichen gondola is running in March.

You would also probably have a mud-free hike if you walked from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg.

Thin
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!!! I don't av to go hiking, I just want to see the Swiss alps!!
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 08:58 AM

Yes that Mannlichen to Kl Schiedegg hike - or really stroll IME is the finest hike in the area for novice hikers - kind of flat though, as Pepper once corrected me it does slowly ascend when going to Kl Schiedegg, but a great hike in that you see both valleys - Lauterbrunnen's and Grindelwald's from this ridge walk - and if any trail will be open in dicey weather this one may be - again a wide fairly flat path that I have even seen baby strollers on.

At Kl Schiedegg, basically just a large Alpine hotel and a train station take trains up to Jungfraujoch or down to Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen.
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 10:09 AM

You would also probably have a mud-free hike if you walked from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg.>

Also one of my favorite strolls - not a hike really but a few-mile flat stroll on a footpath - often paved that follows a gurgling bubbling stream the whole way to Lauterbrunnen, passing the famous Trummselbach Falls just before town (huge weater cascade insifde the rocks - tunnels have been hewn out for visitors to clamber in and see it all - kind of like doing the Maid of the Mist in Niagara Falls.
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Palenq- exactly what I like!!! Thank you!!!
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 03:09 PM

There is also a really easy terrific walk from Grutschalp to Murren - take the new aerial gondola from Lauterbrunnen's train station to Grutschalp - an incredibly awesome ride and then normally you would take the mountain train that hugs the cliff edge to Murren, perhaps about 4 miles or so - but you can also walk on a flat path the whole way, with views to kill for the whole way of the Jungfrujoch Massif across the deep narrow Lauterbrunnen Valley.

You can get on the train at points along the way if you like or tire. There is a famous mountain restaurant with observation terrace to dine on in nice weather there that is very popular - their Farmer's Omlette is very very famous.
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 10:01 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks!!
Sometimes you gotta make the best out of the vacation even though the timing might not be ideal. Thanks for all the great ideas!!
Old Mar 5th, 2013, 05:23 AM

and the weather is fickle in this area and it could be nice - could be real nice - you never know - it could be funky too. Like a crap shoot!