Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   itinerary needed: Milan vs Rome (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/itinerary-needed-milan-vs-rome-527719/)

weruio1 May 9th, 2005 10:52 AM

itinerary needed: Milan vs Rome

Hi all, I am torn between Milan and Rome. I kinda need a 9 day itinerary, flying in and out of Bologna. I think it only makes sense to spend 2-3 days each in Venice and Florence, which leaves me with either Milan or Rome for another 2-3 days. I think Rome is a bit far, and 2-3 days probably isn't enough. I am a big shopper so I am leaning towards Milan. However, I think Milan can be combined with a future trip to France, while Rome doesn't work too well with any future trip easily. I know clearly that I won't be able to cover the whole Italy in 9 days so I have to give one up. I've been to Rome but I was very young then and didn't remember much. Suggestions?

ira May 9th, 2005 10:57 AM

Hi we,

Didn't I answer this on the other forum?

((I))

mamc May 9th, 2005 10:59 AM

Rome, by all means. Rome is a fabulous city and I definitely would go to Rome rather than Milan if I had 3 days. You won't be able to experience everything Rome has to offer in 3 days but you can get a good start. And Rome isn't so far; as I recall it is 3 hours by train from Florence.

weruio1 May 9th, 2005 12:40 PM

hi ira, yes i am trying to solicit more opinions before i decide... thanks all!

Bpesta May 9th, 2005 12:52 PM

I've been to both & would definitely pick Rome. There is amazing shopping there, plus there are tremendous sites to see. (not that Milan doesn't, but Rome is much more enticing)

touristblob May 9th, 2005 02:50 PM

Most definitly ROME,.3 days at least .Its got everything,not that Milan does not its just that Milan is more of a commercial city with some historical sights whereas Rome is a historical city full of sights ,sounds ,atmosphere and some commercial aspects with just as much shopping as milan.
VENICE needs 3 of your days and FLORENCE the balance
Its easy to get around by train and very quick so you wont waste too much time .
Save the rest of Italy for the many journeys you will want to make back there.ENJOY!

Grasshopper May 9th, 2005 02:53 PM

Rome.

Ira, what was your answer on the other forum?

ira May 10th, 2005 04:21 AM

Split the 9 days between Florence and Venice.

Save Rome for another visit.

ira May 10th, 2005 04:22 AM

Hi wer,

I am so upset that you would want to solicit other opinions when I have given you the absolutely best possible advice, that I am going to go sulk.

:)

weruio1 May 10th, 2005 10:51 AM

ira, don't be! :) think about rome, think about europe... there! happy again :)

weruio1 May 10th, 2005 10:57 AM

new question:
i started to look at hotels / b&b in venice since i was told that it's much easier to find one in florence / rome / milan that i should focus my energy on venice. it seems that everything is terribly expensive! my only requirements are non smoking rooms and private bathrooms, and budget around 100 euro for a double. do i have to up my budget to find one? thanks!
(ok this is also on frommers so ira, pick one :P)

Grasshopper May 10th, 2005 11:28 AM

OK, I say this with the greatest respect for Ira, who is a valued poster here. However, isn't it fair to advise the OP that you've not spent any time in either Rome or Milan before you recommend they stay away from both? I think it skews your frame of reference a little. Since you've (Ira) said before that you just don't have any interest in either it puts a different spin on your recommendation. While it would be <i>wonderful</i> to spend a full week in Rome, 2 or 3 days is a good start.

As for accommodations under 100 euro, Ira's recommendations for Florence and Venice are great places to start. I'm going to search my Rome files for that city. It's definitely do-able.