Itinerary logisitic questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2011, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ahve booked all my hotels, car etc for my trip in Sept, but now have a few logisitical questions regarding my trip. All advice is greatly appreciated

1. We are renting a car in Florence for our trip to the hill towns and are then staying in Pienza for 4 nights. Would it make more sense to drive to Pisa on the day we are going to check into our hotel in Pienza and then follow the route to San Gim. and on to Siena before finally landing in pienza for the night. We want to see all of those towns but wasn't sure if we should head right to Pienza and then take a seperate day trip to Pisa, San G and Siena.

2. Are there websites we can book a cheese tour or wine tastingfor Montelcino and Montepulciano? I know wine tastings here are not the same as in Napa, so not sure what the best way to do this

3. after we leave Pienza, we are spending 4 nights in positano. we were going to leave early and drive to Pompeii to do the tour and then to Sorrento to drop off the car. Is this to ambitiuos for a day? should we try and do Pompeii as a day trip from Positano? We are very active people and dont mind a few long days of sightseeing, sicne i did plan some off days of just relaxing is Pienza and Positano as well

4. Are the nights cool in the first 2 weeks of spetember that we will need a jacket/sweater?

Thanks again!
Jamie
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 05:58 AM
RJD

How long are you going to spend in Sorrento? Pompeii is an easy ride on the Circumvesuvia train from Sorrento. Drops you off at the front gate.
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 06:01 AM

1. Pisa, San Gimignano, and Siena in one day is far too much. You're picking up a car in Florence and then driving 1 hour to Pisa and then driving south 2 hours to Siena and then driving another hour to Pienza. That's 4 hours of driving plus visiting 3 towns in one day. You won't have time to see anything in these towns.

Plus, you should get to Siena early for parking and to see the wonderful cathedral without hoards of people.

See Pisa and San Gimignano and save Siena for another day.

3. Mappy shows almost 4 hours from Pienza to Pompeii. That means you'll be arriving and visiting during the hottest part of the day. If heat doesn't bother you then do it. It's only a half hour from Pompeii to Sorrento so you will have time.

4. Cool is subjective. I can't imagine needing a jacket in the first two weeks of September unless it's raining. I also can't imagine traveling w/o a jacket or sweater as weather is so unpredictable.
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 06:04 AM

Just a couple of thoughts:
1. That is a lot to fit into one day. Can you do some of it (e.g. Pisa) as a day trip from Florence?

2. Go to the website of the vineyards you want to visit; you can make reservations on line for tours/tastings. If you need the names of vineyards near where you will be just do a search on this forum.

3. We didn't use a car for last fall's trip to the Amalfi Coast so I'm not mush help here.

4. We were there lat year the last two weeks of September following roughly your agenda. We needed sweaters some nights in some places. Take a sweater with you and you may or may not need it.
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

How long are you going to spend in Sorrento? Pompeii is an easy ride on the Circumvesuvia train from Sorrento. Drops you off at the front gate.

-We are only dropping the car off in Sorrento on our way to Positano.
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 06:20 AM

Forget Pisa except as a day trip from Florence---too far.
Seeing San G. makes sense but Siena deserves more time.
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 06:57 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Check the drop off times for Sorrento as you might not be able to work it out with your Pompeii visit.

>>>4. Are the nights cool in the first 2 weeks of spetember that we will need a jacket/sweater? <<<

I had jacket weather in Umbria the last week of August (2010). I also had jacket/coat weather in Tuscany mid-September (2008). The Italians had on their wool and leather coats. It was so cool I headed to the Amalfi coast to get warm.

In Montalcino/Montepulciano there are lots of places in town (wine shops,enoteca) you can drop in and sample wine. In Montalcino, I like Osticcio as they have great views (click on visita). Click on menu for prices.
http://www.osticcio.it/
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 08:21 AM

kybourbon means check the hours of the Sorrento office of your rental car company. However, if they are closed, you may be able to leave the keys in a dropbox.

Driving from the center of Florence to the center of Pisa (I assume you want to see the leaning tower?) and then out again is not a good idea. You want to avoid driving in cities -- and especially in ZTLs, zones limited to locals only. (They photograph your license, the car rental company charges you to look up and see who had the car at that time, and you get a ticket in the mail.)

You can see Pisa daytripping by train. And you could bus or train from Florence to Siena and pick up a rental car there. Or pick up your rental car at the Florence airport.
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 09:06 AM
ira

Hi P,

I would give Siena about 6 hrs.

>Are the nights cool in the first 2 weeks of spetember that we will need a jacket/sweater? <

Maybe.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jul 11th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

I do think I am trying to do too much, but I am just so excited to be in Italy! I have to remember that I will go back!

I am thinking I will skip Pisa (unless I can fit it in as a day trip from Florence) and instead we will drive to SAn G. and take it in and have lunch there before going on to Pienza. Its a long drive and my friend doesnt drive manual, so I'll be doing all the driving and dont want to get to Pienza too late..

I am loosley planning our time in Pienza, so if we want to go back up to Siena for a day trip, we do have the time free.

As far as Pompeii is concerned. I will either take a day trip from Positano or hire a driver on our last day to take us there on the way to Naples (rather than the train, since we will have our luggage- unless there is a way to take the train and leave our luggage somewhere)
I think my brain is in overload from all the things i have been reading/researching the last 2 months!)
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 05:22 AM
ira

Hi P,

>I am thinking I will skip Pisa........ As far as Pompeii is concerned. I will either take a day trip from Positano or hire a driver on our last day to take us there on the way to Naples .....

Good thinking.

You will be happier.