Itinerary in the North of England

Feb 7th, 2002, 09:05 AM
Adrian

Itinerary in the North of England

Firstly I would like to thank everyone who offered advice on my query "whether we should visit Birmingham, Leeds or Manchester.
I would now appreciate some thoughts on the first part of our itinerary on our five or could be six week visit to England and Wales.
We fly New Zealand/Singapore/Manchester, arriving early hours of the morning. Pick up the rental and head into the Yorkshire Peak District. We plan to stay 3 days, basing ourselves in Castleton.
From Castleton we head for York where we spend the next three days. We will then like to spend some time in Beverley and head for Pickering for a one night stay. From Pickering we will head for Robin Hood's Bay and finally to Whitby for two nights. At this point we are in a bit of a quandary; we would like head up into Northumberland and visit some of the great castles but we are bit worried about distances, or should we instead head cross country to the Lake District. If we were to head north what would be the quickest and easiest route. We usually prefer to travel the smaller more scenic roads but we realise this is not always practicable.
I realise that this itinerary is in its very early stages and it will probably have many changes before it is set. Any suggestions on what to see or do, on what you have read thus far, or alternatives to the places mentioned, will be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Adrian.

Feb 7th, 2002, 02:00 PM
ron

Adrian, I suspect that by the time you get to Whitby, you will have a good sense of where you want to go and the time it takes to travel. But if I was doing it, I would probably head across to Richmond (castle ruin), up Swaledale to Kirkby Stephen, north to Brough (another castle ruin), through Blanchland to Hexham, see a couple of sites along Hadrian's wall, then on to Carlisle (cathedral and castle), then into the Lake District.

Feb 7th, 2002, 05:01 PM
Adrian

Ron thank you very much for your input. I agree the Yorkshire Dales should be on our list to visit, and they are. If we do go into Northumberland, we plan to spend some time in the Dales on the way to the Lake District. A kind person sent me his file on the Dales.
I don't know why but Hadrian's Wall completely slipped my mind. Good suggestion, thanks for that.

Feb 7th, 2002, 09:24 PM
Tony

Adrian..

Don't miss Chatsworth House & Park, which is just a short drive from your Castleton base.
My preference would be to drive across to the Lake District after spending some time in the Yorkshire Dales. If you go via Skipton the drive across the Vale of Eden to the Lakes is a great way to go.

Feb 8th, 2002, 01:13 AM
Kerryanne

Hi Tony,
We are intending to tour the Yorkshire Dales from Thirsk to the Lakes District via Askrigg and Hawes. As I understand it this road takes in some of the really lovely dales, am I right? We are also staying in Castelton for one or two nights and heading on to Stoke on Trent after viewing Chatsworth house. We will be arriving in Castelton after driving straight through for the day from Dumfries, do you know if this is achievable in the day without driving like maniacs?