Reload this Page >

itinerary in italy

Search

itinerary in italy

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2002, 01:28 PM
sabina

itinerary in italy

hi everyone. we are planing a 10 ( maybe 14 ) day trip to italy in may/june 2003. the last time we went to europe we booked the trip first then did research, so this time i want to do it right.<BR>me and my husband will be traveling with another couple and we want to see as much as possible in this time frame. <BR>we definatly want to do the major cities - rome, florance, and venice ( we decided against milan ). we are considering the malffi coast as well as day trips from any of the cities i mentioned. <BR> please advise about a doable itinerary.<BR>thanks, <BR>sabina

Old May 15th, 2002, 01:39 PM
brownie

Oh boy ... well we did <BR><BR>3 nights Venice<BR>4 nights Florence<BR>3 nights Rome<BR><BR>And it wasn't enough. This included travelling time between these places by train. <BR><BR>But it really does depend on what you want to do in each of the cities. If you're not a fan of art (for example) then there will be less in Florence to interest you.<BR><BR>I think the best thing when starting an itenerary is to read up on what interests you in these cities and start to put times next to it. Then you can juggle around and see what you'd like to miss and add.

Old May 16th, 2002, 09:01 AM
Janda

Hello,<BR> Go in May and stay 14 days. I have been to Italy 2 times and love it all so much. You should see the 3 big cities. Rome, Florence (See Michaelangelo's David for sure) and Venice. The Amalfi coast area south of Rome is spectacular. Dont miss it..<BR>You will love Italy. Have a wonderful trip. I cant wait to go back again..

Old May 16th, 2002, 11:32 AM
Nancy

Hi Sabina,<BR><BR>Last end of May we did:<BR><BR>3 nights Venice (not enough)<BR><BR>3 nights Florence<BR><BR>3 nights Rome (not enough)<BR><BR>4 nights Sorrento (could've stayed alot longer - but we were so thankful for that extra night to soak up the atmosphere and relax alittle)<BR><BR>End of May was plenty warm.<BR><BR>Enjoy!

Old May 16th, 2002, 11:55 AM
igor

We want to do the same thing, fly into Venice and then do Venice, Florence, Rome by train and then go to Sorrento. What is the best way to get to Sorrento from Rome. Also, do we have to go back to Rome for our flight back to the US or we can catch a flight out of Naples?

Old May 16th, 2002, 12:33 PM
Nancy

Hi Igor,<BR><BR>We took the Eurostar from Rome to Naples - then had a private driver pick us up and drive us to our Hotel.<BR><BR>Same wonderful driver drove us to Naples Airport for our return flight. A great stress free way to go.<BR><BR>Nancy

Old May 16th, 2002, 12:38 PM
Tomas

Hi Sabina, <BR><BR>Sounds like a great plan Italy. I just briefly have to tell you about one of the best travel experiences I have ever had! It was renting scooters/vespas in Rome. Great experience! Traffic in the city is a little crazy, but manageble... There are plenty of places around the central station where you can rent! Also, don't forget to buy some clothing. We all know Italian fashion is the greatest!<BR><BR>Have fun <BR>

Old May 16th, 2002, 12:46 PM
igor

If we arrive at the Naples airport instead of the train station, would the private driver pick-up cost us approximately the same amount of money as for the Naples train station?<BR><BR>

Old May 17th, 2002, 08:44 AM
sabina

thanks guys for your advice. <BR>i will consider all the options and let you know.

Old May 17th, 2002, 09:54 AM
Marguerite

Author: igor ([email protected])<BR>In reply to the question of how to get from Rome to Sorrento. I have done this on two occasions.<BR><BR>You take train from Rome to Naples and transfer there to the Circumvesuvia Train (not covered under Eurail passes) but only about $3 US. There are directions at the train station on where to catch this train. It is down some long passages and then down an escalator to the tracks. This train takes you to Sorrento, it is the last stop. They have a website with the train schedules.

Old May 17th, 2002, 10:03 AM
igor

Is the passage to the local trains to Sorrento doable with loads of luggage. If they don't have the escalators is it too much of a hassle to haul the luggage down that passage?

Old May 17th, 2002, 10:06 AM
jeff w

I did the same trip that you are talking about. I went to Venice, Florence, Rome and Sorrento. We took trains everywhere. We were in Venice for 2 1/2 days. Went to Florence by train. We were in Florence for parts of three days--but we made a side trip to Cinque Terre for a day. We left Florence late on the third day and were in Rome for 4 nights then went to Sorrento for three nights. We arrived by train and had a provate drive take us to our hotel--we went to Pompeii that day, the Amalfi coast the next day and Capri the last day and then flew home. We saw I think all of the major sites. My wife doesnt like too much time in Museums so we tried to go early in the day or late. The Ufizi for instance was very empty at two hours before closing. IF you go early to Vatican in Rome you can see everything--especially if you go on the day taht the pope is not speaking.

Old May 17th, 2002, 10:08 AM
igor

Did you fly back from Rome, thus taking the trains again and changing in Naples, or you just flew back from Naples?