Itinerary Imput re teen travel to UK

Apr 30th, 2001, 01:31 PM
Christy

Itinerary Imput re teen travel to UK

My 13-year old daughter and I (54-year old mom) are planning our first trip to Great Britain. Interests are Shakespeare, hiking, anything literary, Celtic music and culture, and theater. We are vegetarian. We are tentatively planning to try to do our whole trip using trains and bus transportation, but I am open to renting a car for some legs if it makes more sense. We have been using Rick Steves' Great Britain 2001 and his itinerary for his tour groups as a foundation, with some attempt to see a lot but minimize one-night stops. We enjoy some museum time, love theater, but aren't really "city folks". We're wondering about Edinburgh in "high season", about August 5 to 8, as big crowds arenít our favorite thing but we are drawn to Celtic stuff, especially music (we have to travel in the summer due to school).

Here is the tentative itinerary:

Day 1 Arrive in London and transfer to Bath
Day 2 Bath (not sure what activities, sights yet)
Day 3 Day trip to Glastonbury
Day 4 Depart Bath, try to see Avebury, Blenheim Palace, on to Cotswolds, sleep in Stow-in-the-Wold
Day 5 Cotswolds loop drive (by bus?) to see Chipping Camden, etc sleep in Stow
Day 6 Warwick (castle and museum) and on to Ironbridge (if bus available)
Day 7 North Wales: Ruthin Castle, slate mines, sleep in Ruthin
Day 8 To Lake District-explore hike, sleep in Keswick
Day 9 Lake District, Sheep Center, hiking
Day 10 Get to Oban (car or bus/train?)
Day 11 Oban, ferry day trip to Iona
Day 12 Cross Highlands to Edinburgh (haven't figured out transportation yet)
Day 13 Edinburgh
Day 14 Edinburgh
Day 15 Leave Scotland for Househeads Fort, Hadrain's Wall, sleep in Durham
Day 16 York
Day 17 York
Day 18 London
Day 19 London
Day 20 London
Day 21 London
Day 22 Depart for US

I actually ended up with one more day in London than I'd planned-any suggestions for other spots in the itinerary that would be a better place to add a day (I know people say you can spend a month in London and not see it all, but I'm thinking that for us 3 consecutive city days might be enough). Also if anyone knows of special events, festivals, (especially those I need to get tickets ahead of time for), please let me know.

I'm just beginning to make B& B reservations-all activities or lodging suggestions are welcomed!

Thanks.
Christy

Apr 30th, 2001, 01:43 PM
Roger

Just a couple of comments. On day 10/11 to Oban. I took the train from Glasgow Queen Street station. It was a great trip and I highly recommend it. Day 12. Really good bus service from Oban to first Ft. William and then to Inverness. You could take the train from Inverness to Aberdeen and then down to Edinburgh. Day 15- I spent the night in Durham on this past trip in March and I liked it. A bit hilly but lots to see. If you want more input let me know.

Apr 30th, 2001, 01:58 PM
Sheila

Frightening.

You can get a direct bus from Oban to Edinburgh. Otherwise, get the train to Glasgow then from Glasgow to Edinburgh.

if you're going to be in Edinburgh during teh Festival, which your dates are, book your accommodation NOW

Apr 30th, 2001, 03:08 PM
Shakespeare

Given your routing, you really should stop in Stratford-upon-Avon and take in a play if you can. The Royal Shakespeare Company is excellent. Stratford has a great web site at: www.stratford-upon-avon.co.uk/

May 1st, 2001, 11:16 AM
David White

Christy,

22 days through the UK sounds like an ambitious, exciting trip. This is pretty mundane advice, but given the length of your visit, you may want to plan in a "laundry stop" about halfway through. Especially true if you are hiking. FYI, there is a laundrette in Keswick.

I would not add any more stops to your trip, in fact you may want to focus it a bit. The effort of moving from place-to-place, packing, unpacking, etc. adds a certain amount of stress. If you can find a great place and stay put for a few days, it may be less tiring.

Also, ending in London after 17 days on the road can be taxing. London is a high-energy spot, lots of walking required, much to see, etc. Arriving in the city when you are road-weary can be a challenge.

The Lake District--Cumbria-- is well worth your time, especially if hiking is on your adgenda. You could spend quite a while here, "treking the fells" (hiking the hills), visiting literary sights, etc. Don't miss Castlerigg Stone Circle near Keswick. I say this hoping and expecting that all the foot-and-mouth restrictions will be lifted by the time of your trip.

Enjoy your journey through the UK...

Regards,

David White
http://www.KidsToLondon.com
[email protected]