Itinerary help with Venice-Rome-Greece

Aug 21st, 2009, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Itinerary help with Venice-Rome-Greece

Hi - My mother and I are planning a trip to Italy and Greece for May 2010. I left it up to mom which cities she would like to visit b/c I am going alone in a few months.

My mother is more interested in experiencing Europe's beauty and nature while I am more interested in the history and art.

She basically just wants to see Venice, Rome, Greece, and Paris.

I know it sounds silly to add Paris on the end, but Delta has a regularly scheduled flight from Athens to Houston with a 19 hour layover in Paris (I'm doing this one on my solo trip this Fall.)

I'm not sure how many nights we should spend in Venice (I've been so focused on planning my solo trip, which doesn't include Venice, that I haven't done much research on this one)

As far as Greece goes, I know that she will not want to spend much time in Athens. She may want to see the major sites and the new museum and that's it. She's most excited about either visiting the Greek islands, or the Peloponnese. (it's so hard to choose which islands to visit if you've never been, and I can't gather a consensus from the forums which are most popular)

Below is my first draft itinerary. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Depart Houston for Milan
Train from Milan to Venice Venice 3 nights
Venice
Venice
Train from Venice to Rome Rome 3 nights
Rome
Rome
fly from Rome to Athens Greece 5 nights
Greece
Greece
Greece
Greece
Depart Athens for Paris Paris 1 night
depart Paris for Houston
Arrive Houston
Aug 21st, 2009, 05:16 PM

I would fly directly to Venice since that's your destination.

In general, more travel time than I would like to spend for a 12-night visit. You will lose the majority of three days to travel.

I'm not sure I could stand a single night in Paris--too short!
Aug 21st, 2009, 05:24 PM

Any reason that you are flying into Milan instead of Venice? Are you spending any time in Milan (e.g., a quick appointment to see the Last Supper)? Or, is it a direct flight that will save time by including a train into Venice?
Aug 21st, 2009, 05:33 PM

Forgot to add that you can do both the Peloponese and some islands in addition to Athens.

I did a day trip from Athens to Poros and Hydra but you certainly stay on either for however long you like. Later in the afternoon, I took a water taxi over to the Peloponese and hired a taxi to be my tour guide. Went to Epidauros, etc. and he dropped me off that night up by Corinth where I caught a bus back to Athens.
Aug 21st, 2009, 07:29 PM

Flying into Venice itself is magical, especially if you splurge on a water taxi to take you across the lagoon into the city. At the end of the boat ride is perhaps the single most astounding view I've seen anywhere.

Buon viaggio!
Aug 22nd, 2009, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Great idea on flying into venice.

Any other ideas on greece?
Aug 24th, 2009, 07:35 AM

IMO you can't see Athens, the Peloponese and an island in 4 days/5 nights. For what your mother AND you have on your list, Athens should take 3 days. You could 1) take the bus to Nafplio (2.5 hrs; 13E RT) and spend a couple of days [Nafplio is a wonderful beautiful town; Mycanae nearby] OR 2) do an island - which would be Santorini (Oia) if I had to pick one. That's still pushing it, but is doable.

Otherwise, I'd add those 2 days to Paris. 19 hours just ain't very much!!!

Definitely open jaw - fly directly into Venice and out of Athens via Paris to Houston. BTW - I am assuming the CDG - IAH flight is a code share on AF metal since DL doesn't fly nonstop from CDG to IAH.
Aug 24th, 2009, 07:50 AM

cblair - couple of other thoughts. Are you wedded to DL for some reason? From IAH you have lots and lots of options to Venice and back from ATH and/or CDG, and some airlines' schedules may suit you better.

Nafplio would suit both of you - beautiful setting on the coast steeped in Venetian, Ottoman and Grecian history.

In Athens, the National Archeological Museum is a must IMO for anyone interested in history. Truly amazing.
Aug 24th, 2009, 09:12 AM

I would think that someone interested in history and art would have Venice near the top of their list!