Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Itinerary help with trip to Italy and France with 3 teenage boys

Jul 16th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

I've just purchased air tickets to (aug 14) and from (aug 26) Rome for 5: Myself, my son (15), my nephew (14), my other son (12), and my daughter (9 months). Now I have to figure out what we will be doing and how. I want the boys to have fun and learn something at the same time.
These are the basic parameters of the trip: 1. The boys have either taken latin or will be taking it so the ancient ruins top the list of what to do. 2. My oldest is also taking French III the coming year so immersion in French is important. 3. My girlfriend from England wants us to come and stay a couple days where she is vacationing in France ( at a caravan park in Messanges booked thru Venue Holidays). 4. The budget is an issue so I have to keep costs down, but no way am I staying in Hostels - 3 stars is the minimum.
I think that renting a car is going to be easier and necessary, but I am afraid that the drive back to Rome to leave will take up too much time?
This is where I am with my planning! Any help is appreciated.
Jul 17th, 2009, 10:43 AM
ira

Hi L,

>The budget is an issue so I have to keep costs down, but no way am I staying in Hostels - 3 stars is the minimum. <

There are many 2* hotels that are just as good, but don't have the "amenities" - eg, no meeting room - of a 3*.

It's at least 11 hr (overnight drive) from Rome to Messange. That is going to cost you about 3 of your 12 days.

Good luck in your logistics.

Jul 17th, 2009, 10:51 AM

<<3 stars is the minimum>> If you're truly looking to keeping to a budget, there's absolutely no reason to stay in 3-star hotels. The French star rating system is nothing like the US one, and a 2-star hotel can actually be a far better deal than a 3-star one.

I think trying to fit in those 2 days in Messanges is a real trip killer, especially with four kids in tow. I cannot imagine that drive being worth two days in a French campground.
Jul 17th, 2009, 10:53 AM

If you can change your tickets for a reasonable fee, it seems to make more sense to fly into Rome and out of Paris (or somewhere else in France), or vice versa, if those two things are requirements. That would save you a lot of travel time.
Jul 17th, 2009, 11:13 AM

I would take an overnight train from Rome rather than drive. The boys will love it and I think it will be much easier on you. Pack some food and water to take with you.
Jul 17th, 2009, 07:38 PM

You do not need 3 star properties -- are you an American? If so, don't use US rating systems gauge European. But star rating is the very LEAST of your problems. You have built in some real (HUGE) problems:

Flying in/out of Rome means having to backtrack all the way to Rome. Open jaw would have been MUCH better.

Plus if your departure date is Aug 14 you will not arrive (jet lagged) until Aug 15, and you fly out Aug 26. So leaving the 15th for recovery/getting your bearings and the 26th for getting out of Dodge -- you are down to 10 full days to see some of Italy and drive to Messanges and back. Messanges is all the way over on the FAR WEST coast of France and Rome is all the way over in south central Italy. This is just plain nutty for one adult, three kids and an infant. Absolutely nutty - almost insane -- sorry.

Tell your English girlfriend you cannot possible get to her caravan park. Just being on the same continent does not mean it is easy to pop over for a couple of days. That is like saying "I'm flying in/out of New York but need to drivew/ my 4 kids to Kansas City to visit my girlfriend "
Jul 17th, 2009, 07:42 PM

that should be "cannot possibly . . . ."