ITINERARY help with ROME to CAPRI/ISCHIA

Apr 6th, 2006, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

ITINERARY help with ROME to CAPRI/ISCHIA

we need help organzing a july trip that starts in rome for 2 nights (albergo del senato has been highly recommended from fodorites)
then we want to drive to AC - how far is that?
do we need to stay one night in a village on the way? and if so, where?
then 2 nights in an AC town - ravello? positano? praiano? which town would make our next destination - capri/ischia (4 or 5 nights each)- an easy trip?
and does it matter if we stay in capri first and then ischia - or the other way around?
we are looking into caesar augustus, capri palace and hotel luna on capri; punta molino, albergo san montano hotel and mezzatorre on ischia. we'd like a pool with a view on capri and a sandy beach in ischia...any recommendations???
and how do you get from capri to ischia?
then we return to nyc with a flight from naples to rome....will it be difficult to get off one of the islands and make it to naples for a flight to rome?
any suggestions welcome!! thanks!!!
Apr 6th, 2006, 05:20 AM

Crumpet - The drive down from Rome to Positano or Amalfi normally takes 3-4 hours depending on traffic - so no need to overnight en route ... unless you want to.

For ferries/hydrofoils to Capri - and between Capri/Ischia go to:

http://www.capri.net/salsa/lang/en/page/transport.html

You can find details on services between Ischia and Naples (Napoli Beverello) on:

http://www.ischiaonline.it/page.php?...S00&sez=MOVIME

'Will it be difficult to get off one of the islands and make it to naples for a flight to rome'?

Services can be cancelled in bad weather, of course - that's always a risk.

Otherwise with an early departure you can be in Naples by 09.00. It's about a 30 mins bus or taxi ride from Napoli Beverello to Naples airport.

What time's your flight?

Steve
Apr 6th, 2006, 05:31 AM

Are you sure you want to drive in July?

Driving out of Roma is a hassle. Drivers in the Napoli area are crazy -- and I love Napoli. The Amalfi drive is not every driver's cup of tea to begin with, and in July you can add to that several hundred tour buses and traffic jams, and you've got to find someplace to park you car, which you will scarcely use. (As for which town to stay, if you have a car, I understand getting in and out of Ravello on its one busy road is time-consuming in July, so don't pick it if you want to do daytrips and check now to find out when festivals may be going on in July.)

A car rental is going to cost you a couple of hundred. That money could just as easily be spend on two train tickets to Napoli, where you'd be met by a private driver to take you to Positano or Amalfi. From there you can take a ferry to Capri.

Apr 6th, 2006, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

my car freak hubby wants to make the drive even tho i warned him about the negatives...we will get rid of the rental as soon as we get to the AC....

i don't know what time our flights are yet...travel agent is working that out...
thanks for the info!

Search this Thread