Itinerary help--western Europe

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2 sons ages 18 and 21 are going to Europe together for the first time in July for 2 weeks. They are flying in and out of Dublin and plan to get a Eurail pass. They would like to go to at least --eEngland, Belgium, Germany and Italy. Any suggestions of where they should go and what they should see?
Old May 8th, 2007, 11:03 AM
J62

Sorry, I'm not likely to be of much help. I'm in the "spend 3 weeks in one place" kind of traveler.

5 countries in 14 days is too much moving around for my taste. At a minimum I'd recommend they cut out Italy - it's a long way from Dublin and they'll burn precious time just coming and even more going.

I could see a couple days in London, then to Brussels, then on to part of Germany (Black Forest, Rhein valley, or Bavaria) fitting in.
Old May 8th, 2007, 11:28 AM

2 weeks in 5 countries sounds like a lot (I did 4 countries in 3 weeks right after I graduated college). J62 is right, I would cut out Italy if you want to see the other 4 countries. This is also assuming they are sticking to the major cities. I would suggest 2 days in Dublin, 3 days in London, 2 days in Belgium, 2 days in the Black Forest (Germany), and 3 days in Munich. That leaves a couple of days for travel (do they have to go back to Dublin to fly out?).
Old May 8th, 2007, 11:32 AM

All I'll suggest is the possibility of using budget flights to get places as fast as possible (in some cases anyway) and using this site www.skyscanner.net to check availability.
Old May 8th, 2007, 11:34 AM

Are the tickets bought? If not, arrive in Dublin and return from Rome. If Italy is a must, it makes no sense to have to come back all the way to Dublin.

Why Belgium?

I suggest London, Paris, Munich, Venice - return from Venice (or Munich).
Old May 10th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm not sure what, if any, plans my son has made. The flights are in and out of Dublin, so they have to work around that. I agree that Italy should be saved for another time. I'll pass this info on to them.
Nancy
Old May 10th, 2007, 08:19 AM

they can use a Eurail Youthpass to get a hefty discount on ferries (18-20 hours!) from Rosslare to France, where trains would take them to Paris or anywhere in France. Pass would also be good on trains from Dublin to Rosslare port. www.irishferries.com
Old May 10th, 2007, 10:45 AM

You did say 2 months I hope. It would take that long.
In 2 weeks you cannot do justice to Ireland and England. I would pick 2 adjacent countries with good train systems--perhaps Germany and Austria and spend the 2 weeks there.
Old May 10th, 2007, 11:08 AM

Eurail passes don't apply in the UK, so they won't be able to use it for daytrips from London.

I second the use of cheap flights within Europe. And cutting down the itinerary. Depending on how much traveling they intend to do, it may be the Eurail pass will not be cost-effective. When their itinerary is more settled, check it out at www.railsaver.com.
Old May 10th, 2007, 11:57 AM

The Interrail pass is valid in the UK so maybe they should look at those?
Old May 10th, 2007, 12:37 PM

Inter-Rail passes are for use only of European residents - not americans.

Youth Eurailpasses are a great deal for many youngsters who tend to move around a lot, take night trains, etc. there are for Americans and cannot be used by European residents. If they want to get a great primer on European trains with itineraries, etc. and using trains tell them to go to www.budgeteuropetravel.com and request their free European Planning & Rail Guide and to www.ricksteves.com web site for lots of trains as well as alternatives to trains like buses and discount airlines. they should look into taking RyanAir at least one way to/from Dublin to the Continent and then do a pass if warranted and it's often the case for foot-loose youth. They should look at the Eurail Select Youthpass good in Benelux (Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg as one unit for this purpose, Germany and Italy, though to get between Germany and Italy involves going thru either Austria or Switzerland unless they fly - i would not miss at least a short look at Switzerland on the way. That means a 4-country Eurail Select pass.
Old May 10th, 2007, 12:46 PM

I've done a few crazy multi-country itineraries in my day. It's a whole other way of traveling, but as 18 and 21 year-olds, I can't see why not! It's an adventure! Some of my best Europe memories come from these hectic trips (although now I prefer a more relaxed pace). That said I'm confused as to why your sons are flying in and out of Dublin if they had hoped to visit England, Belgium, Germany & Italy? While I love Dublin, for a trip like this I'd give priority to England, The Netherlands, Germany or France and Italy. If flights are already booked in and out of Dublin I would say out of the countries you mention Italy is definitely out and maybe Germany too. Hope they have a great trip!
Old May 11th, 2007, 06:28 AM

ditto to samtravelers' take on youthful travel - my first trip on a youth eurailpass i took many night trains, covered a lot of ground, walked miles out to hostels and had a Wonderful time.
Old May 11th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Pausanias

Another vote to skip Italy. I presume the unifying theme of the trip is beer -- Guiness in Dublin, great ales in the UK, superb ales in Belgium, great lagers and pilseners in Germany. Italy's beers are pleasant, but don't stand up to specialties in the first four countries.

Old May 11th, 2007, 08:10 AM

Guinness
Old May 11th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Pausanias

Thanks. That was not a typo, but a genuine mistake. And with all my experience, too.

Old May 13th, 2007, 07:06 AM

Being Guinness-less should be a crime. Brilliant!

sorry for the nitpicking and know how aggravating it is when folks do it to me. But if a trip gravitates around beer then intoxicating things happen.

Prost. Cheers. Bottoms up!
Old May 22nd, 2007, 08:36 AM

by the time they get to Italy they'll be tired of beer and ready for vino - actually i don't know why we think two teens on their own in Europe where the drinking age is 16 in most places would automatically imbibe. But i sure did when i was under 21 the first time i went - but rarely overindulged.
Old May 27th, 2007, 07:37 AM

2nd thought if it's a beer centered trip they may never get to Italy!
Old May 27th, 2007, 08:48 AM

My sincere suggestion is to let them know about this forum, and then leave them alone to figure it all out for themselves.

Whether they do a crazy busy Eurail itinerary, or spend the entire 2 weeks in one place, they will have a blast and be perfectly fine.

They'll learn and grow not only from travelling, but also from planning and executing the trip. Really important IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -