Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   itinerary help please Rome to Rome (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/itinerary-help-please-rome-to-rome-291191/)

nazus Feb 21st, 2003 01:12 PM

itinerary help please Rome to Rome

We will be arriving in Rome on Good Friday and leaving 4 days later. We plan to pick up a car after these 4 days and will have a further 24 days to travel where ever we want before returning to Rome. We have lots of options and quite honestly have no idea of which to choose - they all have appeal.<BR>All ideas will be helpful.<BR>Thanks.

toulafan Feb 21st, 2003 01:14 PM

I think that your first two options have the most appeal.<BR>

HowardR Feb 21st, 2003 01:22 PM

Perhaps if you let in on the details of your options, we might offer some comments, suggestions and advice!

nazus Feb 21st, 2003 01:32 PM

Some of the options I see are going to the south of Italy, perhaps along the coast to Barcelona, up into Austria and Switzerland. I'm not sure how far 24 days will take us.

nazus Feb 21st, 2003 01:35 PM

Some of the options I see are going to the south of Italy, perhaps along the coast to Barcelona, up into Austria and Switzerland. I'm not sure how far 24 days will take us.

HowardR Feb 21st, 2003 02:58 PM

You could create a wonderful 24-day itinerary just in Italy! Start in Rome, go north to Umbria and Tuscany into Florence. Then, Cinque Terre onto to the Lake country (Como, Garda and/or Maggiore), then Venice, Bologna and back to Rome. Admittedly, the last part from Bologna is a long drive. (I was running out steam by then.)<BR>Or, you could head south to Naples, the Amalfi coast and Sicily.<BR>Anyway, the point is, with 24 days, you could create a great Italy itinerary.<BR>Oh.......I wanna go!

bobthenavigator Feb 21st, 2003 03:33 PM

What a great opportunity. First, look into the French car lease program thru Autoeurope--you will save a bundle and can pick up and drop in Rome.<BR><BR>Now, for itinerary. Do you have an hour to discuss--it would take that. Meanwhile, look at these and mix and match. I would stay south of the Alps that time of year, but include as far north as Salzburg and Bavaria. Hope this helps:<BR>BOB the NAVIGATORS’ FIVE FAVORITE ITINERARIES<BR>___________________________________ _____________________________<BR><BR>MAGICAL FAIRYLANDS:<BR> * Arrive and depart Munich--14 nites--May thru Sep.--car travel<BR> * ITINERARY: Salzburg, Dolomites, Venice, Lake Garda, Bavaria<BR>======================================= =====<BR>BELLA ITALIA:<BR> * Arr Milan, dep Venice--15 nites--car &amp; train travel--April thru Oct.<BR> * ITINERARY: Lakes, Ligurian coast, Tuscany, Florence, Venice<BR>======================================== ====<BR>CLASSIC ITALIA:<BR> * Arrive &amp; depart Rome--12 to 14 nites--car &amp; train travel, all year<BR> * ITINERARY: Florence, Tuscan &amp; Umbrian hilltowns, Rome<BR>========================================== ==<BR>LA DOLCE VITA:<BR> * Arr &amp; dep Rome--12 nites--car &amp; train travel--March thru Oct.<BR> * ITINERARY: Amalfi coast, Tuscan hilltowns, Rome<BR>========================================== ==<BR>OF ALPS &amp; LAKES:<BR> * Arrive and depart Zurich--12 nites--train travel--June thru Sep.<BR> * ITINERARY: Berner Oberland, Lugano, Lake Como, Luzern<BR><BR>THE VILLAGE SAMPLER: My personal favorites—north to south<BR>• Arr Milan &amp; dep Rome---car travel---plan 3 nites per location<BR>• Lake Orta, Castelrotto, Portovenere, Montalcino, Ravello<BR>======================================= =<BR><BR><BR>

nazus Feb 21st, 2003 06:23 PM