Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Itinerary Help - May 2008 - Italy or maybe the south of france (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/itinerary-help-may-2008-italy-or-maybe-the-south-of-france-718505/)

cjamigo Jul 5th, 2007 11:57 AM

Itinerary Help - May 2008 - Italy or maybe the south of france

Hello Fodorites! I am seeking advice on itineraries for May 2008. My husband turns 4-0 in December and his major gift is a fabulous European trip. He knows it is a trip but will not know the destination until the big bday. I have used this forum to plan two of our trips in the past.

Here is our Eurpoean travel background -

Husband has traveled to Ireland, Amsterdam, and Paris. I have traveled to London, Budapest and Rome. Together we have traveled to Madrid, Cordoba, Granada and Seville in Spain and for our honeymoon _(april 2005) spent 3 nights on capri, 4 in positano, and 5 in rome. (I still regret not doing a trip report on that one - after I complete this planning process I am seeking tips on writing useful trip reports)

I am planning on using airline miles for our flights. Looking to leave on Thurs, May 15 and return Tues, May 27. We are leaving our daughter at home and those are the best dates for grandparent provided childcare. We do not like to feel to rushed on vacation so I am looking for two destinations max with a sidetrip or two.

Here is my first thougt for a great trip -

Italy
Arrive in venice Friday AM - stay 6 nights
Depart Venice Thurs 5/22 - train to naples and transport to Positano - stay in positano 5 nights.
Depart Naples for home - 5/27

Pros - Venice seems very romantic and this will be our only childfree vacation between baby 1 and 2. We also LOVED positano and are interested in exploring more of the AC. We loved the warm climate and sexy feel that permeates the AC.
Cons - we have been to positano before - should we see something new?

Other thoughts - maybe leave venice on Wednesday rent a car take a few days to drive to naples and leave the car before heading to positano. That way we could check out the country side.

I also thought maybe the south of france would be a good destination but husband was not crazy about paris and it is his bday present.

So - what should this fun loving couple do? I would love to hear your recommendations!

kja Jul 5th, 2007 01:56 PM

What a lovely gift! People might be better able to offer suggestions or comments if you say a bit more about what kinds of things you like to see and do on your vacations.

Lexma90 Jul 5th, 2007 02:10 PM

We go through this dilemma often, whether to visit somewhere new or revisit somewhere that we want to see more of. Keep in mind that even if you do go to Positano, the Venice part of your trip will be new. And even though you've been to Positano, if you visit there again, you'll probably go things that you didn't get to the first time (as well as do again some enjoyable activities or sights). Not much help, I know. Is hubby the "new places" type or the revisiting type?

We (me and my husband) both really enjoy Umbria and Tuscany, so if it were me, I'd drive in between the two destinations and spend one or two nights in those areas. And as much as I love Venice, I'd probably take a night or two in order to do so.

The south of France is also wonderful, but if you like the vibe of Positano (which I haven't been to, but I think I know what you liked about it), you're not going to get that in southern France. I think you're right in sticking with Italy (for this trip - there will be more, after baby #2).

As though you didn't ask, are you sure that your husband is ok with not knowing the destination? Part of the fun and enjoyment of a vacation, for me, is planning and looking forward to the trip. That would be difficult or impossible without knowing where. (My husband recently gave me a wonderful "gift" when he admitted to me that he had started to plan a wonderful surprise 20th-anniversary trip for us, but decided I'd want to be in on it. So he got double credit in my books - for a surprise and for having the sense to know that I'd rather know about it in advance!)

nbujic Jul 5th, 2007 02:29 PM

The south of France is also lovely in May: Nice, Monte Carlo, Eze, Cannes, a day or two in Aix....many romantic and beautiful spots.

cjamigo Jul 5th, 2007 04:51 PM

Hmmm...to best describe what we like to do...I would say catch a few must sees in each location but mostly absorb everyday life in new places. We enjoyed the history of Rome but also loved the market in campo de fiori to see locals buying produce. Husband likes bustling cities for a few days but prefers the countryside and smaller towns. Enjoys food and wine. We lounged on the balcony and beach a lot in Positano on the last trip - it was a honeymoon - so this time we would probably venture to pompeii, ravello and so forth.

He does NOT enjoy guided tours. I am usually the guide after hours of research (which I love). Does that cover what we enjoy? Should I be more specific?

Lexma90 -

As though you didn't ask, are you sure that your husband is ok with not knowing the destination?

Good question! He does not enjoy planning and I do. So I am really giving a gift to both of us!