Itinerary help: Madrid and Granada

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2023, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. I got a dog sitter!! I can take a vacation! and now Planning a trip for the first week of May. I am scrambling to make trip plans (after some stressful months).
HELP!!

We arrive in Madrid on the 29th (I haven't bought a ticket yet but see they are available and will buy in the next day ) but I have an AirBnB booked. I figure the museums will keep us busy in Madrid and of course always love off the beaten path ideas too. On Wednesday we were going to go to Granada by high-speed train (I guess i should buy the tickets here). Is that enough time in Madrid? Pre-purchase museum tickets in Madrid? Any tips?
And what will be open on May Day? I see not the museums. Any archeological sights or things to do that are NOT bullfights

We don't know where to stay in Granada or which neighborhood. So that would be Wednesday afternoon, Thursday and Friday and Saturday take a high-speed train back to Madrid (stay at a hotel near the airport?) and fly out Sunday morning And I guess I need to prepurchase tickets to Alhambra. Any tips?

Open to any suggestions, must do, any prebooking etc. Also if we have a morning flight out of Madrid... last night does it make sense to sleep by the airport? I did that coming home from Italy and it was a stress reducer!

I enjoy leisurely travel, historical sights, art (I am a painter) ruins, good food, bird watching, and hiking. Not into shopping but of course, bringing back gifts for family, especially local artisan.

Would love any insight as I quickly try to pull together a trip and work full-time. thankyou.

Last edited by RubyTwins; Mar 26th, 2023 at 08:52 AM.
Old Mar 26th, 2023, 09:39 AM

The first thing you need to do is find out if there are Alhambra tickets available for the days you will be in Granada.

We did not purchase tickets in advance for the Prado or Reina Sofia when we visited in September 2017. We arrived at both museums about 15 minutes prior to opening, and we only had to wait in line for about 15 minutes to buy our tickets. Not sure if crowds have worsened since then.
Old Mar 26th, 2023, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Great point and also looking to book maybe a week earlier to miss May Day.

Last edited by IBJoel; Mar 27th, 2023 at 02:43 PM.
Old Mar 26th, 2023, 11:55 AM

We were in Madrid in July and did not need reservations for the Prado or the Reina Sofia Museum or the Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum.

https://flic.kr/p/NfFUcd https://flic.kr/p/27Ch8h5
Old Mar 26th, 2023, 01:57 PM

I think your amount of time in Madrid is fine but you may wish to change plans if your dates in Granada for the Alhambra don't work. I would check Alhambra availability first and then figure out the rest.
Old Mar 27th, 2023, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by KTtravel
I think your amount of time in Madrid is fine but you may wish to change plans if your dates in Granada for the Alhambra don't work. I would check Alhambra availability first and then figure out the rest.

I just returned from another trip to Spain, beginning in Andalucia and ending with a glorious 4 days in Madrid; I originally booked 3 nights in Madrid, but for probably the first time in my life, changed my flights to give me an extra night. I fell crazy in love with Madrid; I'd been several times before but this was just......better, more fabulous, one of the best city stays of my life. I'm still on a cloud from the trip after being home for 4 days now.

I'll answer your questions about Madrid later on if you have any that I can help with. But for now, this is a report I wrote after an earlier and also fantastic, short trip to Madrid and Granada:

MADRID AND GRANADA--A Magical Winter Week in Spain
Old Mar 27th, 2023, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ekscrunchy
I just returned from another trip to Spain, beginning in Andalucia and ending with a glorious 4 days in Madrid; I originally booked 3 nights in Madrid, but for probably the first time in my life, changed my flights to give me an extra night. I fell crazy in love with Madrid; I'd been several times before but this was just......better, more fabulous, one of the best city stays of my life. I'm still on a cloud from the trip after being home for 4 days now.

I'll answer your questions about Madrid later on if you have any that I can help with. But for now, this is a report I wrote after an earlier and also fantastic, short trip to Madrid and Granada:

MADRID AND GRANADA--A Magical Winter Week in Spain
Thank you. I enjoyed your trip report
Old Mar 27th, 2023, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Hiking Sierra Nevada

After two days in Granada, we would like to do a day of hiking in Sierra Nevada and spend a night in one of the towns. From there we would take a high speed train back to Madrid to leave the next day. Any suggestions for towns to stay in? We are not swanky travelers. Maybe Monachil? Any thoughts and I suppose we can pick up a car in Grenada.

We are going to go in three weeks and I have a lot to plan. Definitely spur of the moment as I don't want to travel in high season and its the only opportunity to travel again until October.
Old Mar 27th, 2023, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Neighborhoods Madrid and Granada

Any advice for neighborhoods in Madrid. Of course, centrally located. Restaurants but not crazy night life partying scene.

Any advice on a good area in Granada? We walk everywhere and will probably AirBnB

Any town advice to hike a day in Sierra Nevada?

this is really a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants trip planning but it's now or not until October.
Old Mar 27th, 2023, 09:11 AM

We just got back from four nights in Madrid and stayed near Plaza Santa Ana on Calle de las Huertas. Very central.

I personally would stay the night before your departure in the city. It’s a 20 minute taxi ride to the airport. We have found the airport to be efficient and well organized. It’s one of our preferred placed to fly out of.
Old Mar 27th, 2023, 11:46 AM

Be sure to book tickets to attractions as soon as you can. The Alhambra has become very popular in recent years, and we needed advance tickets even in the sweltering August heat.
As an art lover, I think you would also like Cordoba.
But if you want a more relaxed itinerary, I would also recommend Toledo or Segovia, in addition to Madrid. I can't help with May 1, but Madrid's city centre is pleasant enough for a casual walk.
Old Mar 27th, 2023, 12:25 PM

We stayed near the Prado and Reina Sofia at the Mercure Madrid Centro. A very convenient location. Near restaurants but not a party scene.

In Granada, we stayed at the bottom of the Albacin on Carrera del Darro. Unfortunately, I've heard that our hotel, El Ladron D'Agua, has closed. But it's a convenient location, and you don't have to walk up and down hills. We took a taxi to the Alhambra.

Last edited by KarenWoo; Mar 27th, 2023 at 12:28 PM.
Old Mar 27th, 2023, 01:01 PM

Just in case Granada does not work out, or for others looking for nature near Madrid--I was about to reply on your initial post that I flew into Madrid and went to Cuenca, a fantastic small town with an artistic bent that is full of hiking opportunities. Great food town, too! You can take a train there and rent a car while there if you prefer. It is a gorge town so there are paths right from town, but we drove to the Serrania de Cuenca for hiking. The Escalerón was mentioned as good for birding--lots of raptors. For ruins, we went to the Archaeological Park of Segóbriga.
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Guide for Alahambra?

Is it worth it to book the guided tour for Alahambra or to just download the app? Thank you. I don't want to waste money on a mediocre tour.
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 03:33 PM

"Any advice for neighborhoods in Madrid."
I always try to stay near the Sol Plaza and the metro stop there or Opera metro stop. I love the vibe in these areas.
Very good for walking, as many sites are in walking distance.
One of my favorite museums is the Real Armería de Madrid. In the courtyard of the Palacio Real. But I am an armor geek. The royal palace is cool too.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Armoury_of_Madrid
https://www.patrimonionacional.es/en...-palace-madrid
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 04:07 PM

I Madrid in March 2022 i spent 5 nights at Hostal Dulcinea: at Calle de Cervantes, 19 2º-D, (Madrid City Center), 28014
The place did the job quite nicely. The room was fancier than the place i stayed at, in granada - this room came with an electric water boiler, a miniature refrigerator at the bottom of a closet, and a bar and a few clothes hangers in the closet

In Granada i spent 2 nights at El Zaguan: Nueva del Santísimo, 4, (Granada City Center), 18001 Granada
This place also did the job ok, although not as fancy as the place in Madrid. Neither place is hi class but the neighborhoods seemed fine and the places are not decrepit either. The staff at the place in Granada don't speak any English.
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 04:14 PM

I went through the Alhambra unguided. Background reading in advance and/or a good guidebook may take away your need for a tour guide. Remember to print your ticket to the Alhambra in case your phone dies, and the staff needs to look at your passport too.
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 04:41 PM

They have audioguides at the Alhambra
Old Mar 29th, 2023, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by shelemm
They have audioguides at the Alhambra

The audio guides are good; I also mentioned a wonderful private guide for Granada, including Alhambra, in my report.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -