Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Itinerary Help: In to Rome, out of Zurich

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 10:06 AM
meg

I would appreciate any help and/or suggestions for the best 10 day itinerary flying into Rome and out of Zurich. I was thinking 3-4 days in Rome with possibly a day trip to Pompei. Train to Florence for a few days. Day trip with Tours Around Tuscany. Then Lake Como? Cinque Terre? How difficult is it to get to Zurich from Northern Italy? Wouldn't mind renting a car at some point. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 05:09 PM
richard j vicek

Good evening, Meg <BR>With only 10 days would suggest the <BR>following <BR>3-4 days in Rome <BR>3 days in Florence <BR>2 days in Lugano (thru Milano and on <BR>the way to Zurich. <BR>1 day in Zurich. <BR>I suggested Lugano over Lake Como as <BR>Lugano is on the main railway line north <BR>out of Milan and reaching it would not <BR>require almost a whole days travel and <BR>then the return to Milano to go north <BR>to Zurich. Day trips are available <BR>from Rome to Pompeii, however these sometimes do not spend the entire day <BR>at Pompeii, possibly best selection would be to take the train to Naples and <BR>change for one to Pompeii, guides are <BR>available at the front gate by the hour <BR>which would also add to the enjoyment <BR>of the place. Day trips out of Florence <BR>can be to Siena, San Gimignano and possibly Pisa, however have read some <BR>negative comments in past BB comments <BR>If I can be of any further help, please <BR>drop me a line and will reply promptly. <BR>Richard of La Grange Park, Il... <BR>

Old Jul 22nd, 2000, 06:15 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Meg, That is a long itinerary for only <BR>10 days but doable. Here is my take on <BR>the best use of your time: <BR>Rome---3 days <BR>Florence---2 days <BR>Santa Margherita--2 days <BR>Lugano--2 days [ day trip to Lake Como] <BR>Luzern--last nite--an hour to Zurich <BR> <BR>This one assumes train travel. There are <BR>variations on a theme but it all depends <BR>on what turns you on. You could spend an <BR>extra nite in Florence and day trip to <BR>Siena, but that means dropping the coast <BR>and going from Florence to Lugano. <BR>Let me know if you need detail help.

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 10:56 AM
Tracey

Meg, <BR>Can you tell me how your trip went, and what you would recomend? I am traveling almost the same route. Flying into Rome Nov 15th, 3 days there. Then onto Seina for 3 days, Venice for 3 days, then maybe Milan 1 day and out of Zurich on the 25th. I am stuck deciding on wether to spend any time in Milan, or just go straight to Zurich. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks, Tracey

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 12:03 PM
richard j vicek

Good afternoon, Meg, taking almost an <BR>identical trip on the 4th of November <BR>arrv in Zurich and air to Venice. Venice <BR>for five days then onto Rome for four, <BR>air to Zurich for one night and return <BR>home. Would suggest you go directly <BR>from Venice to Zurich, the rail trip <BR>will take at least 7 hours in addition to any transfers to and from the RR <BR>Station. This will give you leisurely <BR>evening, your last in Zurich to do some <BR>last minute shopping and a very good <BR>dinner. Have used Zurich for the last <BR>night in EUR quite a few times in the <BR>past and it really works out well. <BR>Richard of La Grange Park, IL...

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 12:09 PM
richard j vicek

Good evening, Meg, we are taking ten days also by going into Zurich and air <BR>to Venice on the 4th of November, 5 nights in Venice and then 4 more nights <BR>in Rome, and air to Zurich and overnite <BR>for our last night in Eur. Have used <BR>Zurich for the last night quite a few <BR>times and certainly make it much easier <BR>on the flite home. Would suggest <BR>you use Rome, Florence and Venice and <BR>the day before you leave Zurich take <BR>an early morning train, appeox 7 hr trip <BR>to Zurich. Finish shoping and have <BR>a good final dinner in Zurich. <BR>Milan for a ressonable sightsee would <BR>take from a half to one day max. <BR>