Itinerary Help- Girls Trip for New Year's

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fodorites were a huge help when I planned my first trip to Europe (France and Italy) this past summer. So I'm hoping you will come through for me again...

My friend and I are in our late twenties, and we've decided to head to Ireland for New Year's. I know it will be cold, but she's looking forward to some time away from her two kids and I'm going through a divorce, so we figured we'd do something crazy. Nothing like two girlfriends helping each other out...

We are planning on spending 6 nights in Ireland. I have enough hotel points to cover 5 nights. However, my hotel points are only good at Starwood hotels. The Starwoods in Ireland are the Dublin Westin and the Sheraton Fota Island in Cork. We will also have to pay for 1 night- so that is a wild card and we can spend it anywhere.

How should we best allocate our time? We want to enjoy Dublin (especially on New Year's Eve), but it would be nice to see some of the countryside. We can fly direct from Chicago to Dublin and Shannon to Chicago if that makes the most sense.

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 02:29 PM

Hi Hoya!!

Sounds like a great trip you have planned. Can I go with?

I thought there were more hotels in Ireland that were Starwood but I guess not. The Westin Dublin does look amazing though.
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 02:34 PM

I was also going to say... are you on such a budget that you have to use all your Starpoints now? It just seems a waste to blow them all at one time, and I'm sure there are plenty of B & B's to be found that are under $100 a night if you want to explore more of the country. Not to mention from what I've read it sounds like 4 days is too long to spend in Dublin...

just some thoughts
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

It's important to save where we can, which is why we are trying to use the hotel points. Divorces are expensive, and we might as well try to work with what we have. I was originally thinking Dublin and London, but my friend has her heart set on Ireland.

I wasn't necessarily planning 4 days in Dublin. More like 3 days, 3 nights. I sketched out a rough itinerary of 3 days in Dublin, 4th day drive through Waterford on our way to Cork. 2 nights in Cork. 6th night??? However, I'm open to ideas as I've never been there before!
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 02:16 PM

I stayed at the Westin Dublin on Starwood points in May of this year and was totally impressed by the hotel. You can read my trip report for all my thoughts on the hotel, plus dining and sightseeing tips in Dublin.

You can easily spend 3 days in Dublin, seeing the sights and dining/drinking. I imagine it'd be really fun around New Years. Since you don't have to pay for hotel you can treat yourself to some really nice meals. You can also easily day trip out of the city-- the Westin concierge can arrange it for you. I don't know how much fun Powerscourt Gardens, Glendalough or Newgrange will be when it's very cold out, but those are popular day trips from Dublin.

We only passed through Cork and didn't stay there, but others can advise you on day trips from that area. If you have one night to stay somewhere else, you might head nearer to Galway so you can fly out of Shannon Airport instead of having to go back to Dublin. Will you have a car? If so, maybe a night around Lisdoonvarna so you can see the Cliffs of Moher and hear some traditional music in the pubs.