Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Itinerary help - France & Italy (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/itinerary-help-france-and-italy-962778/)

Francewithfive Jan 14th, 2013 02:06 PM

Itinerary help - France & Italy

We are travelling to France and Italy with our 3 children (ages 3,8,10) in June/July.
I need some trip planning ideas to fill in two weeks of the trip.
here is our itinerary so far:
Week 1 - Flying into Marseilles, stay with extended family in a rented house outside of Marseilles
Week 2 - ?????
Week 3 - Sant"Antonio resort in Montepulciano
Week 4 - ????
Week 5 - apartment in Paris

Our criteria are: $2000-$2500 US per week
Family-friendly of course!
At this point we are open to flying/train/driving.

Basically...if this was your trip, what would YOU do?????

Michael Jan 14th, 2013 02:10 PM

The logical second week would be a gite above Nice, giving you the opportunity to see the Haute Provence as well as that part of the coast. You will need a car. We stayed near Grasse and felt we were close enough to the coast.

Southam Jan 14th, 2013 03:06 PM

I would rearrange the schedule into a more linear progression: Fly into Paris, move on to Marseille, then to Italy, flying home from the nearest international airport in Italy.

Aramis Jan 14th, 2013 03:22 PM

>>I would rearrange the schedule into a more linear progression: Fly into Paris, move on to Marseille, then to Italy, flying home from the nearest international airport in Italy.

I think their family might miss them that week in Marseille.

Francewithfive Jan 15th, 2013 07:53 PM

Yes, we need to fly into Marseille to be with family. We want to end the trip in Paris since my husband is a huge road biker and wants to see the 100th Tour de France finish (I know - but it's his thing!).
I agree with spending the 2nd week somewhere around Nice. Any fave spots?
What about that week between Montepulciano and Paris? I tossed around exploring the Loire a bit but have decided another week in Italy is a must.
Any thoughts on another area not too far from Sant"Antonio to spend a week? Possibly somewhere we could do a day trip into Florence?

justineparis Jan 15th, 2013 08:41 PM

I love the Loire Valley, but a week would be a tad long for me. And I know it would be too long for my kids at that age,, 3 nights ,, you can see one or two chateau a day and enjoy it.

Nice is a great base for the whole area you can daytrip so easily to many places , its ONE euro to take the public bus to Monaco, ( maybe kids would enjoy the aquiriaum) ( so 5 euros there and 5 euros back for family, thats waaaayy cheaper then renting a car and gas and parking). Also we took bus to monaco, spent a few hours there then stopped at Eze Sur Mer for a beach break and swim on way home, we did have to pay another euro to get back on bus though.

Beaches in Cannes are sandy, kids might enjoy a day there, and I didn't make it to Villefranche or Eze , but would do those too next time..