Itinerary help...France

Search

Itinerary help...France

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary help...France

I am planning a trip for May 2011 and need itinerary advice. My husband and I are in our 50s and love museums, outdoor markets, strolling, eating and drinking, We especially love French wine. Here is what I am thinking so far:

Day 1 -- leave USA -- May 20th
Day 2 -- arrive Amsterdam (FF miles)
Day 3 -- Amsterdam
Day 4 -- Amsterdam
Day 5 -- train to Paris (3.5hrs)
Day 6 --train to Dijon (1.75hrs)
Day 7 --Dijon
Day 8-- train to Avignon (3hrs)
Day 9 --Avignon
Day 10--rent car drive to Arles (1.5hrs)
Day 11 --drive to Cannes (3 hrs)
Day 12 --Cannes
Day 13 --drive to Nice, (>1hr) return car
Day 14--Nice
Day 15--Nice
Day 16 --Return to USA

Our last trip to Europe was 2009 and we went to Amsterdam and Paris on that trip so my original thinking was only 2 nights in Amsterdam, bypass Paris, and head to the south of France with a 3-night stopover in Provence. But then I thought we can't bypass Paris when we will go right through the city! So then I thought it best to add a day to Amsterdam so that our trip wouldn't be off to such a go/stop/go start. And then I began reading about all the fabulous places (we go right through Burgundy!) and now here I am thinking I have too many location changes.

Our first France trip (1997) we went to Paris and the Bordeaux region and our last trip (2009) we went to Amsterdam/Bruges/Paris. We also did a daytrip from Paris to Reims on that latter trip. I think I mentioned we really love French wine.

So where best to subtract/add? After leaving Paris everywhere we go will be some place new to us, which is why I keep wanting to add more stops! But, I think I need to eliminate Arles and Cannes for overnights and add those elsewhere. Another night(s) in Dijon? Avignon? Nice?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 09:35 PM

Yep - too may short stays.

As long as you have already visited Amsterdam & Paris, I would just stay 1 night in Amsterdam to recover from jet lag, then take the train to Dijon for 2 nights, then off to Avignon, then Nice. There is no need to stay in both Arles & Avignon and Nice & Cannes. Avignon & Arles are quite close to each other, and Nice & Cannes are even closer. If you want to stay in a larger & centrally located city in Provence, stay in Avignon (not my choice, however, too much ugly urban sprawl. I would stay in Nice over Cannes.

So:
Day 2 - Amsterdam
Day 3 Amsterdam to Dijon
Day 4 Dijon
Day 5 Dijon to Avignon
Day 6-10 Avignon & Provence (I would probably stay in 2 places - St Remy & the Luberon)
Day 11-15 Nice. Keep car for the first few days to visit the Nice Hinterland.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 09:53 PM

T4TX - we are in our 50's and had a wonderful trip to France in 2009. And the best part was that we didn't change locations too many times. We had more time to soak up and feel our region and areas we stayed in. Don't spend too much valuable time checking out and checking in or catching transport.

I love Paris, but on your trip I would not stay the 1 night. You could either go by train directly to Dijon or even catch a plane. I would pick no more than 4 places to stay. Maybe stay an extra night in Avignon (omit Arles, you can day trip there if you want). I love Provence we spent 2 weeks there so much to see and do, we didn't stay in Avignon. Add the Cannes night to the Nice area.

I think you will enjoy your experience so much better. It is so tempting to add so many delicious places in France. We sampled many French wines during our stay and purchased them very cheaply at the supermarket (ridiculously cheap)
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 01:37 AM

My parents just went on a two week trip to France in Sept and did

4 nights in Paris
4 nights in Dijon/Beaune
4 nights in St Remy (provence)
3 nights in Nice

They trained to Dijon from Paris and picked up a car and dropped it off in Nice.

Hope this helps!
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 05:30 AM

We are in our 50s as well and I find that when you change locations that often you spend more time checking in and out of hotels and getting your bearings than actually experiencing the place. My rule of thumb is no less than 2 nights, and preferable 3=5 nights per location. I just find that I get more out of it. Enjoy whatever you do.
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, I think I am going to read more, ponder, and get the list down to 4 places tops.

Stu, I appreciate your sending me your info on Provence -- your responded so promptly to my request! I know it will help.