Itinerary help for Venice-Tuscany-Rome

Jan 15th, 2015, 09:17 PM
Original Poster

Itinerary help for Venice-Tuscany-Rome

The airfare is booked, and now I need help with the details. On this trip it will be my husband and I, both in early 50's. I've been to Italy before, but he has never been. I'm hoping he gets the travel bug so we can do this more often. We are flying into Venice and will spend 3 nights there. Any hotel suggestions?
Then we would like to go to the Tuscany area and spend 4 nights in the country and make day trips to Siena, and other towns. Suggestions for which ones to see? Where to stay? Might try something thru vrbo, but not sure what location would be central for our day trips.
Should we rent the car from Venice, or take a train to Florence or Siena, and them rent from there? Then drive or take train to Rome and drop off car.
Spend 3 nights in Rome and fly home from there. Hotel suggestions? Last time I was there I stayed near the coliseum, so would like to try a different area. Should be near the train.
Thanks for the help.
Jan 15th, 2015, 09:27 PM

What time of year are your traveling? What weeks of what month?

Regarding visiting Tuscany, the first thing to decide would be whether you and your husband would most enjoy staying right in the countryside, or staying in a small town. If you decide to stay in the country, it can be a good idea to stay someplace that serves dinner at night so you can enjoy the local wine and not need to drive after. Many farms with restaurants offer apartments.

Regarding your stay in Rome, it really doesn't make sense to stay near the train station unless you are planning a lot of train trips out of the city -- and since you will only be 3 days, I doubt you will be doing that. The train station area of Rome is not the nicest, and a taxi ride to a hotel in a lovely area will not break the bank.
Jan 16th, 2015, 02:09 AM

For your journey from Venice to Florence I will suggest you reffer the forum question here http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...r-or-train.cfm. To sum it up Go for the Train.

Whether you want to rent a car really depends on the the places you are going to see and the timings for it. I think you can find that kind of information here http://www.triphobo.com/venice-trip-...c2e5995f0012fd. Choose the places you want to go to then you can decide whether to hire a car or use the local transport.

Staying near railway station in Rome is not that great idea, though you will have an easy access to transportation, the area itself won't be so good to live.

Wish you good luck, have a great journey!!
Jan 16th, 2015, 04:18 AM

The drive from Venice to Florence along the autostrada is not particularly scenic. If you are not interested in meandering through cities or towns between Venice and Tuscany, the train is much more convenient.

Tuscany is a fair-sized region, so within it, you might consider focusing on a particular area (e.g., Val d'Orcia, in the south, which includes towns like Pienza and Montepulciano, or Chianti, which is central Tuscany). Once you decide on which areas/towns to focus on, where to pick up the car will be clearer. Definitely drop off before Rome--either at station where you picked up, or at Orvieto, a beautiful town in Umbria.

Keep in mind that most of the smaller stations/towns will not have automatics to rent (or at least, cannot guarantee them). Also, be aware of opening/closing hours for rental agencies. (Long lunch hours!)

For hotels, booking.com is a great starting point. You can put in your budget and other search options. Venice is fairly small, so any of the sestieri are pretty convenient for walking or vaporetto. Dorsoduro, Cannaregio and San Marco are often mentioned here.

In Rome, Piazza Navona, Campo de'Fiori and Pantheon areas are often mentioned as popular locations because they are somewhat central to tourist sites.
Jan 16th, 2015, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

We will be traveling the first 2 weeks of May.
Tuscany - thinking us using area around Chianti as base.
In Rome I would like to be within walking distance of public transportation, not the train station.
Jan 16th, 2015, 07:19 AM

For public transportation in Rome, buses and trams are usually more convenient than the underground metro system, which is not extensive and has few entry points. The bus and tram stops are everywhere and the system is easy to learn. The Largo Torre Argentina area is a good hub for a lot of buses and trams going all over Rome. Perhaps the way to begin to get a handle on where you want to stay in Rome is to take a map of Rome and circle the sights that you want to see. It maybe that you should stay somewhere near the underground metro stops, but if most of the places you want to go are not near a metro stop, then better to stay where you can walk to many sites and use buses for the rest.

The Chianti area of Tuscany has lots of good choices for farms with apartments and small towns.
Jan 17th, 2015, 07:31 AM

All of Tuscany is very pretty, and you will like it a lot. The south consists of gentle hills, and the north rugged mountains. Here is a post with more information about the beautiful city of Lucca and the mountainous areas of northern Tuscany.

http://elistravelsite.blogspot.co.uk...n-tuscany.html
Jan 20th, 2015, 08:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help so far. We are going in the beginning of May. We booked Pensione Accademia based on a Foder forum recommendation.
I think we would like to stay in central Tuscany. I have found some agriturismo's that look amazing, but am wondering about eating in the same place every night, or if not, having to drive back from a town that's further away late at night. Is there a B&B within 5 miles of town that has a few restaurant choices?
For Rome I am leaning towards the Piazza Navona area.
Jan 21st, 2015, 03:49 AM

Most agriturismi are within 5 miles of a town, and you can also find b&bs within that distance (usually right on the fringes of the towns) and small hotels. Pick a town you like and they try using booking.com to look for accommodations in the area. Booking.com will show you how many miles they are from the center of town and pinpoint them on a map for you.

Also know that if you decide to stay in an agriturismo 5 miles from a town because you like the look of the rooms and the location, that if it serves dinner or has a restaurant on site that you are under no obligation to eat there, and certainly not every night. Your hosts will not pressure you or question your decision to eat elsewhere or to eat in your own apartment if you are renting one with a kitchen.

Something to understand about Tuscan cuisine and restaurants is that you will find almost every single restaurant in any Tuscan town will be serving the same menu (of regional specialties). The only variation you are likely to find is if there is a high-end restaurant serving creative dishes. So while I can understand the hesitation to commit to eating on a farm if it turns out the first night you don't like the food, I highly recommend that even if you end up driving into the nearest town for restaurants, if you like the cooking in the first restaurant where you eat, go back to the same restaurant for the rest of your meals. You will be warmly greeted and taken care of.

Piazza Navona is a beautiful area of Rome and has many choices for places to stay. You can read reviews on booking.com