ITINERARY HELP FOR 4-5 DAYS IN PARIS

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 04:29 AM
sarah

ITINERARY HELP FOR 4-5 DAYS IN PARIS

Bonjour,

My husband and I will be visiting Paris in mid-Sept. We went last year and spent two days racing around and saw Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame and Musee d'Orsay and Latin Quarter and Fouchons. Now what should we do!!??? Help. Neighborhoods?, markets? Giverney? Versailles? It will be our 10th anniversary - but will be on very tight budget. Thanks a zillion...!!!

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 04:45 AM
elaine

Hi sarah
I have a file on Paris. It is geared toward the first-time visitor but there may be some information that would be useful, so if you'd like to see it, email me.
I hope this time you can do less racing around and more relaxing and enjoying.

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 04:50 AM
wendy

Bonjour!

I tried to contact you directly but your e-mail was returned?

I would LOVE to help you as I live in DC and Paris is
my 2nd home... there is so much more to see than the
Eiffel Tower as you now know!

Giverny and Versailles are both wonderful! I have lots
to share about them, but what else are you interested
in? People have different travel agendas...art? food?
produce markets? local color or mainly tourist sites?

Looking forward to talking with you!
Wendy

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 05:10 AM
sarah

Bonjour again,

This time we want to slow down and enjoy the city, its cafes and neighborhoods. Food is top on the list. Just some local color. Merci.

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 06:01 AM
Kris

There were a couple of really good recent articles on Paris, one in Gourmet's March (?) issue (there was a recent post on this, I think the title was something like the top 100 secrets of Paris) and one on hotels under $100 in National Geographic Traveler, also I believe in the March issue.

A few of my favorite budget hints on Paris:

Picnic lunches from the supermarket, the Jardin du Luxembourg is a lovely place to have a picnic lunch as are the gardens of the Rodin Museum.

The free view from the top of the Samarataine Dept store.

Eating donner kebobs from the vendors over near the Sorbonne.

Spending a morning at the flea market at Porte de Cligancourt.

Giverny is beautiful in mid-Sept but I'm not sure how to get there without a car.

Versailles' gardens should also be beautiful in mid-Sept and I definitely think the palace is worth a visit. It's a very easy day trip from Paris.

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 07:14 AM
Rex

An interesting grab bag in this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/library/magaz...tra-paris.html

And the online version of the MArch National Geographic Traveler had this supplemental collection of Paris tidbits - - all oriented to the budget-conscious:

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/tr...103/index.html

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 09:12 AM
Fred

I have lots and lots of information but your e-mail address is not a valid one. E-mail me for more. [email protected]

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 09:59 AM
XXXX

You might want to check out http://www.jack-travel.com. I found the descriptions and suggestions fun to read. Also, it's a good idea to go buy a couple of books, I bought Rick Steves and Fodors. The French online yellow pages are cool, with pictures of lots of addresses pagesjaunes.fr--or something close to that. Have a great time.

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 12:13 PM
sally

Sarah: At the risk of sounding like an idiot as I cannot remember the name of the museum, I'll post anyway. One of my very favorite things in Paris was visiting Napoleon's tomb and the oh so wonderful military museum there. Believe me, I'm not into this type thing normally and my husband sorta had to drag me, BUT it was absolutely fascinating!! So much history and all very well displayed; for instance, Napoleon's military garb and even his death mask, replicas of uniforms through the ages, and so much more. I really enjoyed it alot, and still remember how great it was, although it was about 10 yrs ago when we saw it. The name contains the word Invalides; perhaps another Fodorite can help!! I also understand that the Rodin Museum is well-worth seeing--maybe I can see it next trip. Have fun. Regards, Sally

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 12:55 PM
StCirq

The Hôtel des Invalides (the first military hospital for French veterans - hence "les invalides")is where Napoleon's tomb is. The museum directly behind it is the Musée de l'Armée. And yet another entrance to the same complex at 51, Avenue de la Tour Maubourg, will take you to the Musée de l'Ordre de la Libération, which is a fascinating collection of items related to the Free French movement.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 12:02 PM
carol

www.bparis.com/ is a terrific resource for things to do and places to see in Paris that are a bit off the beaten track. They also have hotel recommendations for all budgets. Plan to spend some time in the arcades and garden of the Palais-Royale. It's very quiet and utterly Parisian. Bring a sandwich and have lunch on the benches or by the chairs around the fountains. Visit the Sainte Chapelle and gasp at the beauty of its stained glass windows. Go to the Sunday morning markets on the Rue Mouffetard in the Latin Quarter. Take a boat ride on the Seine at night. About a month ago, there was a great posting about 100 favorite things about Paris. Try searching for it, it really does have 100 suggestions from lots of Fodorites.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 12:03 PM
carol

www.bparis.com/ is a terrific resource for things to do and places to see in Paris that are a bit off the beaten track. They also have hotel recommendations for all budgets. Plan to spend some time in the arcades and garden of the Palais-Royale. It's very quiet and utterly Parisian. Bring a sandwich and have lunch on the benches or by the chairs around the fountains. Visit the Sainte Chapelle and gasp at the beauty of its stained glass windows. Go to the Sunday morning markets on the Rue Mouffetard in the Latin Quarter. Take a boat ride on the Seine at night. About a month ago, there was a great posting about 100 favorite things about Paris. Try searching for it, it really does have 100 suggestions from lots of Fodorites.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 12:56 PM
terry

Place de Voges and the second floor of St. Chappell were two of my favorite places when we were in Paris