Reload this Page >

Itinerary help for 1st trip to Spain

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 07:06 AM
Anissa

Although I've never been to Spain, I've been to Europe several times, and I know that things often look better on paper than they are in reality. Can anyone give me an idea as to the feasibility of this trip and/or any suggestions of things to cut?<BR><BR>Day 1: Arrive in Madrid (7 a.m.), as much sightseeing as possible, sleep Madrid<BR><BR>Day 2: Day trip to Toledo, sleep Madrid<BR><BR>Day 3: AVE train to Sevilla, sleep Sevilla<BR><BR>Day 4: Sightseeing in Sevilla, evening train to Granada, sleep Granada<BR><BR>Day 5: Sightseeing in Granada, sleep Granada<BR><BR>Day 6: Train to Valencia, Las Fallas! sleep?<BR><BR>Day 7: Leave Valencia early a.m. on train to Barcelona, sightsee, sleep Barcelona<BR><BR>Day 8: More sightseeing Barcelona, sleeper train to Madrid.<BR><BR>Day 9: sightsee in Madrid, sleep Madrid<BR><BR>Day 10: flight home to US 1:00 p.m.<BR><BR>As you might imagine, it's that Seville-Granada-Valencia thing that looks a little scary to me. Am I insane? Everyone says Sevilla is fantastic, and I don't want to short-change it. I'd love to see the Alhambra, though, and I can't imagine missing Las Fallas. Could Toledo be cut? Advice, please!<BR><BR>

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 07:23 AM
jahoulih

It's pretty ambitious. You can clear it up a little by taking a sleeper train from Granada to Valencia (leave 22:10, arrive 5:38). You probably don't need any suggestions for more places to go, but I highly recommend stopping in Cordoba for a few hours to see the Mezquita on your way to Seville.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 12:16 PM
Angie

Annissa, when are you going? My daughter and I are going in May and want to pretty much follow the same itinerary. Have you considered renting a car? Let us know what you decide, I need all the input I can get!

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 12:23 PM
Debbie

Wow! Slow down! You arent going to appreciate any of it because you will be exhausted. Really, reconsidered your itinerary. Its much too much.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 01:11 PM
Anissa

Dear Angie,<BR>We'll be going in mid-March. We're looking at car rental. I was playing with the viamichelin.com site today. It's basically mapquest for Europe. I'll let you know what we decide on. Debbie, thanks for the words of advice. I just want to do it all!

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 02:09 PM
Chris

I think your plan is waaaay to ambitious. <BR><BR>I would suggest that you modify your plan. I would suggest spending your first 2 nights in Segovia (if not 3)which is north of madrid. Segovia is a charming walled city which is actually my favorite place to stay in central spain. You can day trip from Segovia to Toledo and also to La Granja. I would then spend 2 nights in Sevilla and then go to the Costa del Sol before returning to Madrid. Save Valencia and Barcelona foryour next trip!

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 02:17 PM
Caryn

OK, I lived in Spain in college and I can tell you that Sevilla is my just breathtaking! It is gorgeous, rich in culture and the people are awesome! OK, if you short on time, Toledo can be cut. Although it is beautiful, it can be cut. Barcelona is nice however, I traveled all over Spain and Andulucia (southern part of the country) is where you want to spend your time. Have fun! Enjoy it and go out at night!

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 02:29 PM
a

Day 1 through 3 I wouldn't change at all.<BR><BR>Day 3 through 5 will be rushed but can be done. You could use Sevilla as your base the whole time instead of switching to Granada. <BR><BR>Day 6 through 9 are too much. <BR><BR>In sum, I think that Andalucia is so special that a week is a reasonable time to spend there. As another poster mentioned there is Cordoba and I would add a trip to Ronda. <BR><BR>Enjoy your trip!!<BR><BR>BTW, when are you going? just be forwarned as it can get VERY hot in Andalucia. I also had planned a rushed itinerary and the heat made me slow down. This was in June.