Itinerary Help: Florence/Tuscany- Cinque Terre- Venice- Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2018, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there =) My husband and I (30 years old) will be traveling to Italy and arriving in Rome on September 17th at 12:40pm. We got a great deal for our tickets but they are in and out of Rome (rather than open-jaw). For this reason we plan on leaving directly from Rome airport to Florence. I see there is a train at 15:08 Fiumicino Aeroporto (FCO) TO 17:22 Firenze Santa Maria Novella (2h 14m Direct) for 26 Euro.

Stay in Florence September 17th- September 20th (gives 2 full days- 18/19th to be in Florence). On September 20th we think we will rent a car at the Florence airport as we've read that this is the best option to keep us from having to drive at all in the city center. (Any recommendations of the best car rental agencies to book ahead of time and try to get an automatic with english speaking GPS?)

From here I am trying to figure out where to park ourselves in Tuscany that will be the most central to visit other areas. This is what I'm having the most difficulty with. Ideas for a base so far are: Certaldo, Castellina (palazzo squarcialupi recommended), Montepuliano, Montalcino, Radda, San Donato in Poggio. Places to visit that are recommended and look great to us are: Pienza, Montalcino, Montelpulciano, Monticchiello,, Siena, San Gimignano, Cortona, Castellina, Radda and so much more (eek). I'm having a very hard time making a decision on where to stay and how to plan the itinerary for day trips. There are so many options that it seems like it's rather hard to go wrong, but I'm hoping those of you with more experience can help guide me in the right direction in creating the itinerary (especially those of you who have driven these areas and can give me an example of what you would do after renting your car- where would you choose to stay as a base and then in which order/which places would you visit). We will have 4 days in Tuscany (so we will leave Florence the morning of the 20th after renting a car) and head to our base. We will stay at our base(s) from the 20th-24th and leave on the 24th morning to head to Cinque Terre.

Someone mentioned it might be easiest to drop off our rental car in Pisa and take a train from Pisa to La Spienza/C.T. Is this the best option? I've been to Pisa before and I recall being pretty underwhelmed- my husband has not been there but he'd be happy to see it for a few hours-- but we do not want to sleep or stay long here.

We will be in Cinque Terre from the 24th to the 26th (the 24th will be more like a half day since we take the train that morning to get there). On The 27th we will leave Cinque Terre in the morning to head to Venice. We will stay in Venice the 27th-29th (again, the 27th will be a half day since it includes travel- so really only 2.5 days here but I've heard it's more than enough). We could either leave on the 29th on an evening train to Rome or leave on the 30th on the earliest train to Rome and then we will have until October 3rd (we have an early flight out of Rome- 9:35am) so we'll have the 30th, 1st, and 2nd in Rome.

I would LOVE any recommendations or ideas about how to improve the itinerary. I would also love your recommendations for places you've loved staying in these areas. Mostly, thought, I'm struggling and need guidance for the Tuscany bit. Thank you so much in advance for your time and help!!! =) (I'm putting an easier to read day by day itinerary here at the end since it might be easier than paragraph form)...

I should mention that we do not enjoy spending our time inside of museums or art exhibits or churches. We usually make sure we see the most recommended ones briefly but we never spend too long inside if and when we do. We are big foodies- we love walking food tours, we love people watching and wandering around the city, we enjoy live entertainment- music, dance, etc., we like easy bike tours, culinary experiences like cooking or wine tasting/making, etc. We do like a bit of night life, but not every night and not necessarily clubs- but we do enjoy the occasional night out at cafes/bars and such.

9/17: Arrive FCO 12:40pm. Take 15:08 train from FCO to Firenze.
Sleep Florence
9/18: Florence
9/19: Florence
9/20: Rent car at Firenze airport and drive to base in Tuscany (need help with a base)
9/21: Tuscany
9/22: Tuscany
9/23: Tuscany
9/24: Train to Cinque Terre (need to travel this morning to the best place to drop off rental car where we can also catch a train to C.T.-- Pisa easiest option?)
Sleep C.T.
9/25: C.T.
9/26: C.T.
9/27: Train to Venice from C.T.
Sleep Venice
9/28: Venice
9/29: Venice
(take train tonight and sleep in Rome or take train in morning for Rome?)
9/30: Train from Venice to Rome
Sleep Rome
10/1: Rome
10/2: Rome
10/3: 9:35am flight from FCO to LAX

Last edited by katielzimm; Mar 25th, 2018 at 01:37 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old Mar 25th, 2018, 03:12 PM
kja

Are you sure you can see and do everything you want to do in this time frame? I see that you noted that your aren't interested in visiting museums, but even so, that seems like very little time for Venice or Rome.
Old Mar 25th, 2018, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

I've been told several times that 2 days is more than enough in Venice. I understand that most people would spend much more time in Rome. I've lived in Italy before and spent a lot of time in Rome. But it's not my favorite place to spend a lot of time- I prefer the smaller areas (which we will be exploring in Tuscany/Cinque Terre). What would you recommend I take out or change? I'm open to suggestions.
Old Mar 25th, 2018, 03:36 PM
kja

Sorry, I was under the impression that you were asking for input.... If you already know that you are comfortable with your plan, then go with it -- I'm sure it will be a wonderful trip.
Old Mar 26th, 2018, 11:20 AM

Book long-distance trains ASAP for discounts and check conditions of Rome Airport to Florence train when booking to see if changes can be made - with discounted tickets they cannot and 23 euros sounds pretty cheap (but it's on a slower train I think so may have different conditions - Acquista il biglietto con le nostre offerte - Trenitalia and www.italotreno.it/en are sites to book on - two competing rail companies running trains over same tracks and using same stations. www.seat61.com has loads on booking your own train tickets - general info BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com.

2 days in Venice is fine given OP's requisites - Venice is small but little time to explore outer islands and remoter parts of main island.
Old Mar 26th, 2018, 04:53 PM

We dropped our car in La Spezia (coming from Pienza going to Manarola). We stopped briefly in Pisa so that my mother could see the leaning tower.

From La Spezia we took the train.
Old Mar 26th, 2018, 07:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of Venice, but even I would want more than 2 days there on a first visit.

FYI, September is still very much high season, and it's going to be crowded in the cities and some of the smaller towns you mention. The CT can be swamped because there is only so much space for visitors.

You must already know you can't possibly see all of your Tuscany list in 3+ days, although if you eliminate museums, art exhibits, churches and other historical sights you could probably move along fairly quickly. Only you can prioritize/edit the list, so, once you've done that, locate the towns on a map and research the driving times between points. To the driving estimates (Google maps, viaMichelin, whatever) add at least 10% more time (because the estimates are based on distance and not reality) and then add another 10-15 minutes to find parking and to walk into and out of the towns. You might want to research the market days in the towns on your list when parking can be scarce. Also, on the parking/walking point, you need to learn about ZTLs and how to avoid driving into them. Each driver needs an International Drivers Permit.

https://www.italybeyondtheobvious.co...with-ztl-zones

After you have the list of towns pared down and you understand the travel time, you need to decide how much time you want to spend sitting in the car v. exploring towns. Then you'll likely zero in on a town or two or a small area for a base that provides the best access for your drives. Finally, when you figure that out, come back and tell us the location/s and your budget.
Old Mar 26th, 2018, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jean
You must already know you can't possibly see all of your Tuscany list in 3+ days, although if you eliminate museums, art exhibits, churches and other historical sights you could probably move along fairly quickly. Only you can prioritize/edit the list, so, once you've done that, locate the towns on a map and research the driving times between points.

After you have the list of towns pared down and you understand the travel time, you need to decide how much time you want to spend sitting in the car v. exploring towns. Then you'll likely zero in on a town or two or a small area for a base that provides the best access for your drives. Finally, when you figure that out, come back and tell us the location/s and your budget.
Hi Jean, I had absolutely no intention of seeing all of those locations in Tuscany. I wrote that those were the suggestions and places we had looked into that looked nice so far, and that we wanted some help narrowing them down. That's why I'm here on the forum- to ask people who have a lot of experience to chime in on what they might choose and why (I'd like to spend one day just exploring our base and not going anywhere else, and the other 2 days choosing 1-2 places that are very near to each other or on the way to one another to visit). The base we are considering right now is Certaldo-- wondering what peoples thoughts are on that and if they've had experience staying there+ any accommodation recommendations there.

I actually have been to Venice before. My husband has not, however. We plan to take the earliest train from CT to Venice on the 27th which gets us there around 11/12 in the afternoon. So we have 2 full days plus that first half day/evening. I'm not overly concerned about the lack of time there, however, I'm completely open to how to adjust our time in other places or what to take out/add that might make more sense that we have NOT thought of. I've looked at a map several times and on my own I haven't thought of a better alternative besides completely removing either CT or Venice, neither of which I really want to do, unless I have a good alternative place to add or adjust that I haven't thought of. Ideas?
Old Mar 27th, 2018, 07:29 AM

I'm one of the few here who mentions Certaldo, and I like the town. But I'd never choose it as a base for first-time exploring of most of the Tuscany destinations you mention. I prefer to keep daily plans within an hour's drive of our lodging, and Certaldo to the Val d'Orcia towns (Montepulciano, Montichiello, Pienza, San Quirico, Montalcino), the Chianti towns of Radda and Castellina, as well as Cortona would be too much driving for me. So, IMO, staying in Certaldo would prioritize Siena, San Gim, Volterra and San Donato over the other towns you mentioned. Some would say that sounds good for the time you have. But if that part of Tuscany was my focus, I'd rather stay near Castellina for the Chianti scenery.

You say you really don't want to drop either Venice or the CT. I get it. But if it was my trip, I would drop one (possibly both) to eliminate time lost in transit and give more time to the rest. (Have you noticed how long the train rides to/from Venice are? CT to Rome?) Wandering around Tuscany is a joy, even more so when you have the time to slow down.
Old Mar 27th, 2018, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Hi Jean. I’ll look at Castellina as you mentioned. Any specific locations near there or just Castellina itself?

Yah we’ve looked at trains- from Pisa to Cinque Terre is 1 hour 12 minutes I believe (which isn’t bad at all but it creates a much longer journey to Venice if we went from there to Venice- so I’ve been reconsidering stationing ourselves in 2 different Tuscan areas (1 like Castellina and one closer to Pisa/coastal towns near Pisa and if we want to do a day trip to Cinque Terre from there we could, or not). Then we’re thinking of going to Florence and after Florence taking the train to Venice which i believe is around 2 hours. After 3 days in Venice we’ll take a 1 hour direct flight to Rome for our final 2.5/3 days. Do you know if there’s a place close to Castellina or if Castellina itself we could train to directly from Rome and then rent a car there to start our Tuscany trip? Originally we’d planned to start in Florence and then rent the car as we left to explore Tuscany, but it takes more time away as ending in Florence puts us closest to Venice...
Old Mar 27th, 2018, 08:24 AM

We had our base next to Pienza in Tuscany. I loved the amazing landscape that is so unique to Val d’Orcia. From there we were able to explore Montepulciano, go on a bicycle ride, take a cooking class. We drove to La Foce
(my mom and I were reading the owner’s memoirs taking place during world war 2). The furthest we drove was to Siena.
Old Mar 27th, 2018, 08:33 AM

I myself wouldn't go to the Cinque Terre in September, and probably would not go there again at all. It was too crowded for me on my last visit, over ten years ago in October, and it's gotten much worse since the cruise port in La Spezia was enlarged.

You could substitute some other town in Liguria, or (my own preference) some place on Lake Garda. This would also cut down on your travel.

If you don't care much for museums, one day would probably be enough for Florence, although you could use the other day for a day trip to Pisa if you drop the Cinque Terre. Otherwise, you might enjoy day trip to Lucca. Or cut a day from Florence and make a stop in Bologna or Verona en route to Lake Garda or Venice.

Also, if you're not a big museum fan, I wouldn't advise visiting the "most important" museums on your itinerary. The Vatican Museums is packed to the point of suffocation with people who feel the same way, and I'm pretty sure most of them absolutely loathe museums after that experience. The Uffizi in Florence isn't much better.

Instead, I would suggest the Ca'Rezzonico or the Scuola Grande di San Rocco in Venice; the Museo di San Marco or the Basilica of Santa Maria Novella in Florence; and either the Galleria Doria Pamphilj or Palazzo Massimo alle Terme in Rome.
Old Mar 27th, 2018, 09:03 AM

Although considerably older than you and your husband ( more than twice your ages!), I thought I might reply to your post as my wife and I have just returned ( yesterday) from a 13 day driving trip that included CT, Siena, Lucca, Montalcino, Lazio and Rome.

CT was fine; although the villages, photogenic as they are, are quite small with limited things to do if you stay in one other than have a meal there - perhaps there will be more happening in Sep. I think if you go there one of the attractions is doing some walking between the towns - don't know if that is your thing?

For what it's worth, I would drop Venice from this trip - you have many years to go there, and, perhaps, take in the Dolomites, Verona, the Italian Lakes etc, Don't try to do everything you think you might want.

I recommend that you make time to include Siena and Lucca. Siena offers food courses, has some good restaurants and has some magnificent architecture in the Duomo etc and the Campo is good for people watching; Lucca is a great place to hang out for a couple of days just people watching and wandering - hiring bikes there would be a good idea.

We also based ourselves in Montalcino for a couple of nights and visited Pienza, Montepulciano and San Quirico. If you are not really bothered about churches etc then consider Montalcino: it is a great base for sampling Brunello di Montalcino and other wines of the area, and we felt it was less touristy than the others - although it was March when we were there. There is not much to it , it just felt....right! ( possibly swayed by the self- service wine machine that was in one of the restaurants we ate in!).

These are just some suggestions; hope they are helpful.

Last edited by jtpj777; Mar 27th, 2018 at 09:07 AM.
Old Mar 27th, 2018, 10:26 AM

katelizimm, from your last post, it sounds like most of your thinking is still evolving. CT could now be a day trip rather than 3 nights? I know it's hard to decide what to do, but you can't see/do everything so hard choices must be made. And, these truly have to made by you and not strangers. Some people are crazy about certain destinations that others are less enthusiastic about, so all suggestions should be considered from your own perspective.

I myself could happily spend a week in the Val d'Orcia area or in Chianti and would have to be dragged away to the CT or Venice. Or I could happily stop in Venice before or after a week in the Dolomites or Lake Garda and Verona. It's the criss-crossing of the country that I prefer not to do, especially if it's only to be somewhere for a couple of days.

And FWIW, I personally wouldn't fly from Venice to Rome. I'm not sure it really saves any time when you add it all up.

There is no train service in Chianti or in much of Tuscany. There are wonderful lodging options in the Castellina area. Search on booking.com.
Old Mar 27th, 2018, 10:48 AM

Well, you said you were open to suggestions, so here are mine: Drop the Cinque Terre; the extra time can be valuably used in either rural Tuscany or Venice. Don't bother flying from Venice to Rome. If you're unsure of train routes from Castillina to Rome, or anywhere else, google - there are countless Italian rail maps online. But don't expect to find some idyllic place to rest your head in Tuscany that's close by a train station.
Old Mar 27th, 2018, 12:55 PM

Yes there are train schedule sites that would answer the Castellina to Rome by train very quick and easy. The best I've seen in www.bahn.de/en - German Railways schedule site for all European trains - it shows there are frequent rail links Castellina-Florence and Florence Rome taking about 4 hours all told. Be sure to book the Florence to Rome tickets ASAP at Acquista il biglietto con le nostre offerte - Trenitalia or www.italotreno.it/en for nice discounts over waiting until there. Castellina to Florence is via regional trains - best buy those tickets at train station in Castellina.

Last edited by PalenQ; Mar 27th, 2018 at 12:57 PM.
Old Mar 27th, 2018, 03:47 PM

Just to be clear, there is no train service to the historical town of Castellina in Chianti. There is a station called Castellina in Chianti-Monteriggioni which is located in a 'modern' town close to Monteriggioni and probably 20 minutes from Castellina. The closest car rental is in Siena.
Old Mar 28th, 2018, 02:56 AM

When you consider the time transferring from airports to the center, on the Venice-Rome route, the train is always faster than flying. It's usually even cheaper.
Old Mar 28th, 2018, 02:59 AM

Jtp, were any of the Cinque Terre trails between towns open when you were there? As far as crowds, mid-March is very different from September. September is one of the busiest months of the year, more so than the summer months.
Old Mar 28th, 2018, 05:13 AM

Walked Monterossa to Vernazza: steep up, then steep down!