Itinerary Help - Central Europe

Old Jul 12th, 2018, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Itinerary Help - Central Europe

Hi!

My wife and I are taking our belated honeymoon for 2 weeks (with a stop in Iceland) the 2nd half of September. We have a total of (12) days in Central Europe and have purchased round tickets in and out of Munich. Our tentative thoughts are to travel to Austria, Czech (maybe a day trip to Bratislava) and back through to Germany. We will, more than likely, be traveling via a rental car. In doing some reasearch, it seems like a feasible route would be Munich > Salzburg > Vienna > Prague based distance and times between these areas.

We are a couple in our early 30's that is fairly active and enjoy a mix of small, medium, and large cities. We enjoy being outside, short hiking, kayaking in lakes, castles and local markets/shops. Our ultimate goal would be to get a good variety of small and large towns. We are not the types of folks to want to 1) rush a bunch of activities just "because" or 2) need to see everything to "check a box". We are open to staying in towns/cities off the beaten path or stay at mid-sized cities that offer great cultural and culinary experiences.

We are looking and hoping if anyone can provide insight on locations to stay/visit based on the above?

Thanks in advance,
Stu and Jess
Old Jul 12th, 2018, 03:53 PM

Well of course the Austrian Lakes District just east of Salzburg may fulfill you desire for smaller towns and great natural beauty- and maybe kayaking?

Easy drive from Salzburg - a k a Sound of Music Country as much of film filmed there. And, Hallstatt could be en route too - awesome Alpine area.
Old Jul 12th, 2018, 04:17 PM

Hallstatt is great for a night or two!

Cesky Krumlov on your way from Vienna to Prague is worth at least one night, too!
Old Jul 12th, 2018, 05:30 PM
kja

This trip could be delightful! Whether it makes sense depends, I think, on exactly what you want to see and do in these locations. I would have wanted a bit more time than you have for this itinerary; YMMV.

Since you have to fly out of Munich, you’ll want to be in that city for the night before your flights. In that situation, I would normally recommend moving straight on from Munich to your first destination – but ONLY if you can do so by public transportation. (Be prepared: I’m about to step on a soapbox.) If there is any chance that you will have jet lag, I would strongly encourage you to take public transportation for your first night or two. Although many people are not aware of it, there is mounting evidence that driving with jet lag is just as dangerous -- to yourself and others -- as driving drunk, and nothing you can do will prevent the microsleeps (which you might not even notice) that are the apparent culprit. Seriously -- NOT a good idea, no matter your prior experience! Unfortunately, I know too many people who have died or been seriously injured in accidents to which jet lag was a contributing factor, and I know too many people who will spend the rest of their lives dealing with the knowledge that they were responsible for accidents that resulted in multiple deaths, including those of children, all because they chose to drive with jet lag. The issue has become a bit of cause célèbre for me….
Old Jul 12th, 2018, 11:38 PM

In September much of the alpine areas of Austria and Bavaria hold Almabtrieb, events that celebrate the safe alpine summer for the livestock. Said livestock are richly decorated and paraded through the respective towns; included of course is the requisite food, beverages and entertainment for all to enjoy. The dates are just now filling in on these sites: https://www.austria.info/uk/service-...ion-almabtrieb and https://www.bavaria.by/experiences/c...id-in-bavaria/

Also in September in the wine regions surround Vienna and into the Czech Republic and Slovakia are the grape harvest festivals. Some involve wandering through the vineyards and stopping to sample the local varietals, while others are festivals in the towns and/or their kellergasses. Vienna's wine wander weekend is quite spectacular, https://www.wien.info/en/shopping-wi...ne/wine-trail; and the Genussmeile in nearby Gumpoldskirchen is also worth investigating. https://www.thermenregion-wienerwald.at/genussmeile
Old Jul 13th, 2018, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions and recommendations...!!

We are actually (not planned) heading flying out of Munich during Oktoberfest and find the accommodation to be extremely steep. Does anyone have any suggestions on places to stop between Prague and Munich (traveling by car so flexible) for somewhere that would be nice to spend an afternoon evening before heading into Munich for our final evening?
Old Jul 14th, 2018, 06:01 AM

Check out Passau - lovely city near Austrain, Germany and Czech border where three rivers come together.