Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

itinerary help- athens/santorini/milos???naxos???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2022, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need help with my itinerary! traveling with my husband and 18 and 15 year old. want some adventure, beautiful different beaches, exploring caves and nature etc, water, a little bit of culture, exploring local towns, delicious food, wine,
i was thinking 4 nights Milos 4 nights santorini 2 nights athens OR 3 nights naxos 3 nights santorini 3 nights milos 2 nights athens
i can do any order. Want to make sure we get enough in but also not feel too rushed like we are transferring too often. want to make sure the order is conducive to ease of travel in between (ferry schedule also not out yet).
would also love recomendations on what part to stay in, hotel, activity and restaurants. Thanks!
Old Dec 3rd, 2022, 01:23 PM

I recommend 4 nights for each island so you have time to relax and get into the rhythm of your environment. Be sure to save Athens for the end so you aren't having to scramble back to the mainland at the last minute for your flight home. I'd go with Santorini and Naxos, as they're close together and easily reached daily by both ferry and plane from Athens. On Santorini be sure to visit the amazing archaeological site of Akrotiri along with Ancient Thera and the Museum of Perhistoric Thera in the main village of Fira. Where to stay will depend on your overall nightly budget and your travel dates. Accommodations are less expensive on the beach side of the island in Perissa and Kamari, but the most beautiful views are on the cliff side in Fira, Firostefani, Imerovigli and Oia. Use the filter system on the booking dot com website to see what you can find for the price you want to pay with the facilities/services/amenities you require. If your kids are water babies they will love jumping off the rocks below Oia on the little rock island of St. Nickolas. Look here: https://www.therepublicofrose.com/vi...-in-santorini/
Old Dec 3rd, 2022, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

I definitely want to go to Milos. Should I eliminate Santorini for Naxos or is that a must see for first time.
Old Dec 3rd, 2022, 08:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have been to all the places on your list and if it were me, I'd go with Santorini and Naxos. I didn't think much of Milos. When are you going? Santorini gets horribly busy in the middle of summer, I think Naxos would be quieter. Also I would check any ferry timetables you can find, there are island groupings for the ferries so sticking to one group makes travel easier. I found this website good for planning (didn't buy through them) - https://www.go-ferry.com/ferry-routes
Old Dec 4th, 2022, 12:21 AM

Mimiboo, I’ll stick with the advice I gave on the other thread you posted on. If that convinced you to go to Milos, then combine that with Santorini. Santorini, IMO, is an island everyone should go to at least once in their life, and it’s easier to go by ferry between Santorini and Milos than Naxos and Milos. You don’t need to stay on the busy caldera side, but can stay at one of the black sand beach resorts if you wish, and take day trips to Fira and Oia.

If you skip Santorini this time you may never have a chance to see it again, and will regret that decision later. The same for me when I had a chance to visit Meteora on the mainland. I have always regretted passing up that chance.