Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Itinerary Help 9/28 - 10/9/11 (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/itinerary-help-9-28-10-9-11-a-906396/)

James_P Sep 17th, 2011 07:47 AM

Itinerary Help 9/28 - 10/9/11

Arrive Dublin 8:30 am pick up car
Drive toward Bray - Look around
Drive to Enniskerry - see Powerscourt and then
Powers court waterfall
Drive to Glenmacnass Waterfall
Drive to Glendalough see St Kevins Monastic site
Finish up in Arklow for first nights sleep? or should we continue to Waterford for first nights sleep?

Day 2 Drive either to Waterford or from there to Thomastown to see Jeerpoint Abbey
Drive to Kilkenny - Look around
Drive to Fethard - Look around
Drive to Rock of Cashel
Drive to Cork to sleep. If time - see Blarneys Castle and Cork on the same day or next
In Wateford is it worth going to the Waterford Crystal Factory?

DAY 3 See Blarney Castle and Cork if not done day before.
Drive to Killarney
Killarney National Park- see this
Torc Waterfall - Muckross house
Drive to Adare - Look around
Sleep in Adare or go on to Limerick for nights sleep.

DAY 4 See Limerick
Drive to Bunratty Castle & Folk Park - is this good?
Drive to Ennis (County Clare)
Get a room in Ennis
Drive to Lahinch, then Cliffs of Moher
Then follow driving route for the Burrens
Sleep Ennis

DAY 5 Galway - See Galway and area and sleep here.

DAY 6 Drive across country on M6 (?) toward Dublin. See Athlone on the way?

I want to see the Giants Causeway and Omagh Folk Park and Londonderry. I need help with this part of the journey. I need to have a full day in Dublin - Saturday - We fly home Sunday Day 10

Thanks for the help

egnolive Sep 20th, 2011 07:01 AM

OMG! Is this a joke?

You'll not see anything except from the window of a car, if at all.

You need to slow way down. With 10 days you need to pick the northern half or southern half, but not both. And even then, 10 days is not a lot of time to do one half or the other.

Also, not sure where you are arriving from, but you may need to take into account jet lag. Why don't you do your full day in Dublin the first two days of your trip? Please don't attempt to do too much driving on your first day if you are arriving from the states.

Not sure why you even want to see Blarney Castle or Waterford or Limerick.

Have you looked at any guidebooks or done a search of others' trips on this site?

janisj Sep 21st, 2011 01:48 PM

James_P: You posted this twice the same day

here is a link to the other thread. http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-928-10911.cfm

It is getting awfully close to your trip so not sure you will see this. But in case, you really REALLY need to re-think everything. The driving on arrival day, your daily drives, how much territory you plan to cover . . . everything.

llane125 Sep 21st, 2011 02:09 PM

The others are right; you need to stop and smell the shamrocks. Nevertheless, you can see a lot, and relax, in the 10 days if you're selective.

Here's our 10-day itinerary; it felt just right:

2 Nights in Galway:
Day 1 - arrive Dublin; pick up rental car; drive to Galway with stop at Clonmacnoise;
Day 2 - Cong and Connemara

2 Nights in Dingle:
Day 3 - drive to Dingle via Burren, Cliffs of Moher and ferry from Killimer to Tarbert
Day 4 - Explore the Dingle Penninsula

2 Nights in Kinsale
Day 5 - drive to Kinsale with stop at Muckross House
Day 6 - Enjoy Kinsale

Day 7 - Drive to Kildare stopping at Rock of Cashel and Glendalough

2 Nights in Dublin
Day 8 - Drive to Dublin stopping at Powerscourt (we didn't but you could)
Day 9 - Explore Dublin
Day 10 - Fly home

This gives you almost two full days in Dublin (you'll need it), and you won't have to move every night.

Hope this helps.

James_P Sep 22nd, 2011 08:02 PM

We are rethinking. Since we are not booking lodging ahead of time, if it is too much we will just slow down. I tend to try to do too much on these trips, but this is my wfe's itinerary. I am the driver. We added Dingle. My guess is that we will not make it to the Giant's Causeway. We spent 3 days in Dublin in 1976, so we are not concerned about spending time in Dublin