Itinerary help! 3 week trip to Greece!

Jan 23rd, 2008, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Itinerary help! 3 week trip to Greece!

Two friends and I are planning a senior trip to Greece in mid June...

we want to fly into Athens and explore a little and stay in a hostel while there to save money. Any recommendations for a safe hostel? Where to visit?

I was also curious about transportation to and from other islands, we would like to go on a tour of the Cyclades. Mykonos, Naxos, and Santorini being top priority. We have 3 weeks to travel as well.

I would love some travel tips from experienced travelers! thank you!
Jan 23rd, 2008, 07:00 PM

It's been ages since I've been there, but I traveled in Greece for 6 weeks, staying in pensions mostly.

In Athens, the Acropolis and Parthenon, of course, and the Agora (marketplace) ruins, along with the Plaka - great for dining and little shops, the Archeological Museum (possibly the other "must-see" after the Acropolis, and Syntagma Square. A couple days is fine.

You can travel easily between Athens and various islands by ferry, hydrofoil, or air. Air can be pretty cheap, and a timesaver. I think I flew to Santorini, then took a boat to Crete, overnight ferry back to Athens...plane from Athens to Mykonos, ferry back...I'm sure you can find details on the internet and plan accordingly. You may want to prebook some of it, especially air.

I haven't been to Naxos, but Santorini is unique and spectacular, and Mykonos is picturesque and fun. If you go to Mykonos, try to get over to Delos for a day trip - climb Mt. Cynthos for a great view. I don't know about Naxos - maybe it's great, but if it's like the other two, consider something a bit different, like maybe Crete - the ruins at Knossos are interesting, and hiking the Samaria Gorge on the western part is a great thing to do (check to see if it's OK to do in mid-June - I know it's dependent on when the stream at the bottom dries up...sometime in spring/summer...) I liked Matala (on Crete) too. But you need a chunk of time to bother going to that island - probably at least 4-7 nights. Probably 3-4 on Mykonos, 2-3 Santorini, 6 - Crete, 4 - Athens (2-3 at beginning, including one wasted day for jet lag) and 1-2 at the end before you fly out). Delphi makes a nice trip from Athens - you can go for a night or two, or just do it as a guided day-trip.

I also liked Samos - Kokkari was beautiful and quiet, and you can do a daytrip to Ephesus in Turkey.

Just some rambling ideas...Wherever you go, Greecs is great - you'll love it!
Jan 24th, 2008, 06:54 AM

Travel tip:
Half the gear, double the money.
G.
Jan 24th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

thank you so much for your suggestions, definitely very helpful!

i think we will end up doing the amount of time at each island you suggested with the exception of Ios as well.

Also, thank you for naming some sites of ruins/good sightseeing/museums etc...I had no idea where to even start but now i feel considerably better about planning the trip!

we will definitely be traveling light as well, probably backpacks, as we have to do so much moving around! thanks again for your tips!
Jan 24th, 2008, 10:16 AM

If you go to Delphi then consider expanding that into a few days, maybe 4, and include Olympia, which is fabulous.Meteora which is slightly further north than Delphi is also wonderful.