Itinerary Help-1 week Madrid And ???

Feb 12th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Original Poster
Itinerary Help-1 week Madrid And ???

We are visiting my daughter for 1 week in April-she is a student in Seville and will be on break. We are flying into Madrid and land about 10 am on the Thursday before Semana Santa. We leave the following Wednesday at 6 am. Too short..I know I know. It is the first trip to Spain for both of us.

My husband is adamant about seeing the Prado and a bit of Madrid. My daughter will have traveled around Andulucia and has made a quick trip to Madrid and Toledo; she is opened to anything.

I am mulling over a couple different itineraries-The first is to do a bit of Madrid and travel to Seville on Thursday, spend Thursday and Friday night in Seville, Saturday in a small town in Andulcia, Spend Sunday and Monday in some combination of Madrid and Toledo.

The other one is to just base ourselves in Madrid and see Salamanca, Toledo, Segovia, and forget about Andulcia.

Help...I know we can't see it all-how should we focus oour time...any suggested itinerary? Any help (including recommended accomodations) would be great!!
Feb 12th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Who is this trip for? When my parents come to visit me it is very clear that I am the translator and it is their vacation. If you land in Madrid, I suggest that you spend the first few days there. Get it out of your system and move on to the next place.

Now, I pity your daughter terribly because it seems you want to pull her out of Sevilla during Semana Santa, which is a huge mistake as it is truly beautiful. She will have the Feria coming up, but Semana Santa is sacred there. You guys could stay there, but if you want to travel and she has already seen Andalucia, head up. Salamanca is actually very beautiful during Semana Santa (the processions are great and though it is chilly, they are worth standing outside for), and I am a huge fan of Segovia (see the post on Segovia Pedraza for a good walk through the city).

If you have so little time, basing yourself in Madrid is a mistake, as you will be traveling to and from daily, which eats a lot of time. Here is my Semana Santa route from 1999:

You could:
leave Madrid and hit Toledo (meet your daughter there, as she can bus it up from Sevilla for cheap). Spend Thur and Fri nights there. On Sat. travel to Segovia by bus (train takes longer and you have to go through Madrid) and stay the night. Sunday morning head to Salamanca by bus (or you will have to go through Madrid). Stay there Mon and Tue nights. Travel back to Madrid by train on Wed. morning.

Lodging: I didn't write down our hotels, but that is a high travel season for Spain, so book now! That includes train travel. And if you can get your daughter to book the buses in advance, make her do it, as it takes away a lot of stress.

And now that I think of it, you daughter will be back in Sevilla for the really good parts of Semana Santa. Best of both worlds!

Feb 12th, 2006, 04:03 PM
I shouldn't answer because I haven't actually BEEN to Spain yet, but I have researched obsessively for my own trip this month. I have about 10 days and so I'm beginning in Madrid (visiting my niece) and then zipping through Toledo, Anadalucia, and back up to Madrid. However, in your time frame, and given that your daughter has already traveled around Andalucia, plus the fact that your husband is interested in Madrid (and it DOES sound fun), I would recommend basing yourselves in Madrid and enjoying all the wonderful day trips available from there.

Among the places my friends and Web resources love are Salamanca and Segovia, plus Toledo and then a bunch of smaller towns. You might want to check out an article I found in The Independent for some more ideas:

Good luck!!
Feb 12th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Just a word of caution. We were in Seville for Semana Sant and it was incredible,but getting trains at this time can be very difficult--seems half of Spain is also travelling at this time. So beware of this. I'm sure whatever you decide you'll have a great time, but travel within Spain may be difficult, so keep that in mind.

Search this Thread