Itinerary for Review and Comment

Mar 29th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Itinerary for Review and Comment

I was hoping for some feedback on the following itinerary. I will be traveling to Spain for almost two weeks with my fiancée in about a month (May). My fiancée has been to Spain before and i have been to Barcelona only (and loved it). We are looking to fit in quite a bit but we also want to feel relaxed and enjoy some downtime, especially time at some beaches. We will travel to Spain again so we do not feel like we need to fit in everything and will be more than happy to forgo some highlight and save them for our next trip. We are both in our late 20s and are big foodies (no el bulli trip this time).

We will be flying into Malaga and will have 4 full days and two half days to spend in Southern Spain. We would like to spend two days at a nice beach town and we were thinking of going to Marbella but have heard mixed things. Is Mijas nice? I know that Ronda is not on the water but Iíve heard good things about it. We would also like to see Granada and Seville but don't know if it is too much to fit in both of these places. For this part of Spain we would likely have a car so we could drive from place to place but most likely, we would leave the car in the South and continue on the rest of the trip by train.

We were planning to spend Saturday through monday/tuesday in Madrid because we have a friend there. The Madrid part will be covered by our friend but hotel/dining advice would be a big help.

After Madrid, we will need to get to Barcelona for a flight on that next Sunday so that leaves us with 5 or so days. We would certainly be happy to spend some of it in Barcelona but we didn't know if there is any other place to visit along the way. Should we just go to Barcelona and do day trips from there? I remember a nice beach by the name of Siges, which i would go back to. The only problem is that we will be in Barcelona over the weekend of the Formula 1 race and i am worried that the city will be packed and no hotels will be free. I would like to go see the qualifying part of the race on Saturday so if anybody has advice on getting tickets please let me know.

As all of this is a bit last minute, any advice on hotels and restaurants would be greatly appreciated.
Mar 29th, 2007, 01:11 PM

Where are you going after the first days on the beach? Granada?
Mar 29th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Josele, I know you are a frequent poster so i'm happy to have you respond and i'm eager for your input. The whole first part of our trip is up in the air. We will be flying into Malaga and will rent a car so i'm looking for suggestions for the first place to go to. I like the idea of spending some relaxed time on the beach but i also would like to see Granada and Seville so i'm trying to balance everything but tell me if i'm trying to fit too much in. Please recommend some good beachs and resort towns.
Mar 29th, 2007, 02:38 PM
ira

Hi HH,

If you repost with "Spain" in your title, I think that you will get more responses.

Mar 29th, 2007, 02:50 PM

Hi, HH,

given that you are going to Barcelona, I'd save my self for the beach up there and use the time in Andalucia to explore.

you should definitely try to get to Granada, seville and cordoba. you could use the car to tour round, then get train to Madrid, but I'm not sure 4 days is long enough for all that. perhaps 2 out of these three?

as for Madrid, click on my name to find my trip report of our recent weekend in Madrid. Can't help about BCN, I'm afriad.

regards, ann
Mar 29th, 2007, 02:54 PM

Better do as ira says.
In four days is difficult to see all you say. You can drive from the airport to Nerja and take this as base. There is a nice Parador, good beaches, and I believe a nightlife. From there you can visit nearby Frigiliana (a white town), Maro and the Nerja Cave and further east Salobreña. There are good beaches, even a nudist one, if you were interested. The road to Granada crosses the Alpujarras range, full of small incredible towns, you could part one morning, drive past Salobreña and then north, make a tour of some of these towns, and get to Granada in the late evening, dropping the car there.
The other part of the coast, Fuengirola, Mijas-costa, Marbella is much crowded, and more expensive, BTW. You could visit Ronda, Benahavis, Casares and get to drop car in Seville.
Another option is taking Malaga as base, there are beaches here, many things to see, good restaurants, etc. and you could daytrip to Antequera, which is midway on the hiway Seville to Granada.
I propose this as if you were to stay 3-4 days in beach town and then a couple days Granada or Seville; but am not sure if that's what you want. Whatever you choose, come back for detailed info.