Itinerary for Italy

Old Jan 7th, 2019, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary for Italy

Hi everyone,

Planning a trip to Italy beginning of July for 10 days (so 9 days on the ground). First time for me and the kids, though hubby has been. Originally thought we'd do Rome and Venice (with a side trip to Pisa), but we also need to factor in, a 1-1 1/2 days visiting hubby's relatives in Anzano/Montaleone.

So now thinking of staying in Rome the entire time and doing day trips to areas that can be gotten to and from Rome same day. That way we only deal with one hotel. I'm assuming this means Venice is out this trip.

What are the better day trips to do and how long to travel to them? Pisa? Pompeii, Naples?

Thanks for any info. Greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 05:49 AM

Villa d'Este for sure, as well as Hadrian's villa.
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 05:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You want to visit the north of Puglia, Rome, Venice, Pisa
You will arrive with a bit of jet lag so the first day is a dog.
I wouldn't use Rome as a base as each of the places you plan to go to are a fair trip. I'd look at a trip to Pisa/Siena/Florence/Lucca (chose just a few with a base there and do day trips from there). Then a base for Rome.
Then go see the family.

July is terribly hot, not sure of the age of kids but they will want a chance to swim in pools etc. Tuscany would offer you that sort of place.
Rome is just a hot place to look at old rock/buildings.
Naples and the volcano areas will be killing.
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 09:24 AM

Better daytrips: Ostia Antica (very close); maybe Florence on the fast train.
I'd give Rome 3 or possibly 4 days, head south, give the kids a beach or pool for a couple of days, then your stay inland with relatives. Or arrange the order as. you need.

How many nights with family in Anzano? And darn, it will be hot. Maybe find a place with a pool.
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 01:02 PM

Since you have to go to Puglia to visit the relatives it seems like it would make more sense to split your time Rome and Puglia than to go anywhere in the north (either Rome or Pisa). How were you planning to get to Puglia? If you are planning to drive (which I think is the most sensible way to get around that region) and you are flying in and out of Rome I would just spend a few days in Rome (no day trips) and the rest of the time south. You could perhaps train to Naples for a day or two (Pompeii as a day trip from there) and then rent a car to Puglia, then return it in Rome. If you do that it would make sense to go to Naples on your arrival day (don't drive jet lagged), then Puglia, then you can put all your Rome time at the end.

You said a 'day or day and a half' to visit the relatives, but it's going to take about a half a day each way to get there and back. That's why I suggest you concentrate on Rome and south for this trip. There are lots of great places to see in Puglia but not sure you have time for much. You need at least 3-4 days for Rome itself, 1 full day total to get to and from your relatives, a day there - that only leaves you a couple more. Not enough time for day trips from Rome and certainly not enough to go to Venice or Pisa.
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 04:22 PM

First, although we love Puglia (and you can see our trip report on the link to our name, the area of Puglia where you are visiting family is closer to Naples/Amalfi than many of the popular areas of Puglia. So, I would not consider Puglia. Day trips from Rome to Amalfi, Naples, Pompeii would require too much daily driving and is not practical. I would consider maybe 3 days based in Rome and perhaps 3 days based in Tuscany (Lucca maybe?) if you want to visit Pisa. Plan on a half day each way to northwest Puglia to see family. Or you could do a few nights in Rome and a few nights in some place like Sorrento (to see Pompeii, Capri, Naples, Amalfi coast).
Old Jan 8th, 2019, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the input. It's much appreciated.