Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Itinerary for Greece and Turkey..how many nights in Athens?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2010, 03:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leaving May 8th..
Arrive in Istanbul and stay for 5 nights, then off to Santorini for 3 nights, and finally in Athens for 4 nights. Then..back to USA.

We are thinking if 4 nights in Athens too much.?.We would like to take a day trip to Delphi and possibly ferry to Hydra. Please let me know your thoughts on the Athens portion
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 03:30 AM

I think your plan sounds good, especially if you want to do a daytrip or 2. Last July we spent 3 nights total in Athens, 1 before the islands and 2 after. We didnt have time for any day trips. I could have used at least another full day in Athens to see some more of just Athens.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 04:23 AM
PMJ

I think it's a good idea to make a day trip or two from Athens. We went to Cape Sounion a couple years ago and it was fabulous. Took a half-day trip with George, the Taxi Driver. It's a beautiful drive and the temple is beautiful at sunset.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 04:26 AM

For our trip last spring Athens was the least favorite part of our trip. We had 3 nights and 2 days to see the city. In retrospect, to just see Athens (no side trips) 2 nights and 1 day would have sufficed. Delphi is a pretty long daytrip from Athens.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 04:39 AM

julies, there must have been a lot that you didn't know there was to see!
Athens has so much you can spend as long as you like there, I have been 10 times in the last 18 months & still have places that I've not been yet. OK, I always take it at a slow pace & don't pack too much in because I know I can go back any time (going again in less than 3 weeks time), but the more I see the more I discover something else to add to the list!
If you only want to see the Acropolis & new museum, with a quick stroll around Plaka, then fine, keep the visit short, but you are allowing 5 days for Istanbul & only 4 for Athens with side trips. That's only 2 actual days in Athens, are you doing side trips from Istanbul or could you take a day away from that to make the Delphi & Hydra trips doable more comfortably? Delphi done as a day trip as opposed to an overnight is a long & tiring day, it's possible, but may leave you needing a slower pace the next day!
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 08:41 AM

We spent five nights in Athens and did one day trip (to Aegina). Had planned to do two but didn't have time. We did Delphi after we left Athens. I think four nights with one day trip is good. If you get bored you can add a second one but I don't think it's too much time. Athens is not a beautiful, relaxing city - but there is a lot to see and it's very interesting. We were certainly not bored with three full days there. Here's my trip report: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...rip-report.cfm