Itinerary for French Tour

Feb 17th, 2002, 01:07 PM
Itinerary for French Tour

Please help. We will arrive in Europe July 20 and will leave from Nice on Aug. 2. We have visited Paris several times,and love it very much. My hope was to fly to Brussels and then spend a day or two in Bruges (never been), take the train into Paris for about two nights, and then travel south by train thru Provence and finally spend some time on the Coast. Is this unreasonable for two weeks? Should we just forget Bruges? We enjoy art, food, wine, and other cultures. Where should we base in Provence? Is Avignon a good central location to get local transportation to other places? Is the TVG the best from Paris to Avignon. Can I just buy the tickets in Paris? Can I assume there are English tours available in most of the locations? I fear the traffic will be horrendous renting a car but would it be best to visit around Nice?

Thaks so much for all your knowledgeable information.
Feb 17th, 2002, 01:28 PM
Lots of good questions. I'll try to help on most of them. First, I think your itinerary is fine as you described it; basically, it isn't too much for 2 weeks. So see Bruges; it's very interesting. Yes, I would say take the TGV to Avignon. You might want to base yourself in Avignon for explorations in that area, and frankly in Provence (i.e. in Avignon) I would suggest you rent a car. Around Avignon, Aix, and all the coastal and inland areas in Provence, it's better in my opinion to go by car. That way, you can visit nearby areas as much as you feel the need to do. The smaller villages in the Luberon, the Vaucluse, in the hills inland from the coast, and in areas away from the main railroad lines will be accessible to you by car. Your hotel in Avignon can help you to arrange tours, which for the most part will have English-speaking sessions available, if you wish to go on tours for a few days before renting a car and heading for Nice for the last few days. Sounds like a fun trip.
Feb 18th, 2002, 12:03 PM
to the top

Search this Thread