Bringing food into Spain

Search

Bringing food into Spain

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2016, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bringing food into Spain

I am traveling with my two sons and all three of us are on strict diets. I got a place with a kitchen but was wondering if I could bring some things with us. We don't eat any grains so I make cassava tortilla that are impossible to find anywhere so I was wondering if I could bring my own with me. Would we have any problems bringing them with us even through they aren't pre-packaged. I plan on buying most our food from the market but don't think I could find the cassava flour to make tortillas.
Old Mar 26th, 2016, 12:59 PM

Just bring it. the worst that can happen is that it is taken at airport.
I'd put some in my checked luggage and some with me.
Flour doesn't seem a problem to me.
Old Mar 26th, 2016, 01:10 PM

Where are you going in Spain? If you are going to one of the big cities, you might be able to get it in a health food store or a market that sells products from South America or Africa. If you are renting an apartment, maybe the best thing to do is to ask the landlord in an e-mail if he/she knows of a place to buy it. I think this is the product you are looking for, and apparently it is sold online in Spain

http://comidareal.es/harinas-y-mezcl...ca-500-gr.html

I'm unclear whether you are thinking of packing the flour or some pre-made tortillas to take on the flight, but I really have no idea how security would deal with them, either in carry on or in checked luggage. I would be reluctant to put anything into checked luggage that might cause airport security to open it up. If you want to try, I suggest taking it in carry on. The worst that can happen there is that they will throw it away in front of your eyes.
Old Mar 26th, 2016, 01:13 PM

(Flour so much resembles many illegal drugs that I'd be surprised if doesn't attract some attention, but maybe it doesn't)
Old Mar 26th, 2016, 01:19 PM

I've brought baking powder and spices into Spain (in checked luggage) no problem. I don't see how flour would be an issue especially if it is sealed. I have also brought tortillas to Spain.

-(Flour so much resembles many illegal drugs that I'd be surprised if doesn't attract some attention, but maybe it doesn't)-

I brought an ice cream maker and a baggie full of malted milk through security in November. The baggie of malted milk was in the canister of the ice cream maker. They almost didn't let me through with the ice cream maker (because it is a "gel" inside the canister) but the malted milk wasn't even a blip on their radar, which is weird, because it totally looks like drugs.
Old Mar 26th, 2016, 01:44 PM

-(Flour so much resembles many illegal drugs that I'd be surprised if doesn't attract some attention, but maybe it doesn't)-

We always brought powder milk for the kids when they were on the bottle. It may look a lot like illicit substances I guess. The sniffer dogs are unimpressed, though.
Old Mar 26th, 2016, 02:35 PM

Interesting!
Old Mar 26th, 2016, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. We are going to Malaga. I will ask our apartment host about getting cassava flour in the area also. I can also used tigernuts which I have read are used in Spain. I was planning on bringing the tortillas instead of flour as I figured the flour may raise alarms. We have to take food to eat on the plane anyway so I will try bringing our tortillas. Thanks for all the advice. This is the first international trip my sons have been on and the first time I have traveled internationally since needing strict diets due to allergies.
Old Mar 26th, 2016, 07:28 PM

I would check Carrefour supermarkets - there are 3 in Malaga. Carrefour sell products from countries all over the world.
Old Mar 26th, 2016, 11:31 PM

The Mercadona supermarkets sell almost a thousand different gluten free products, and you could ask them.
http://spanishnewstoday.com/finding-...n_19864-a.html
http://www.informacionmercadona.es/celiacos/

Some 70 Mercadona supermarkets in the Málaga region (25 in Málaga city only): https://www.mercadona.es/list_prov.p...29&nidioma=esp

Contact info: https://www.mercadona.es/corp/ing-html/atencion.html