Traveling from York to Whitby and Robin Hoods Bay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2018, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in York for 4 to 5 days in April. We want to go to Whitby and Robin Hoods Bay. We are not opposed to renting a car for this day however would that be the best way to see both places? Should we go by bus or train? We are open to suggestions on how to get there from York. I did notice that there is a steam train you can take from Pickering but then it seems like we would miss Robin Hood Bay.
Also, any must see sites at both locations?

Thank you for any input!
Old Jan 13th, 2018, 07:45 AM

Take the train to Scarborough then the X93 bus to Robin's Hood Bay / Whitby.

You can then take the train to Pickering and the 840 Coastliner bus back to York or take the 840 all the way from Whitby

https://www.nymr.co.uk/
840 Leeds - York - Pickering - Whitby ~ Transdev
https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/north-ea...mer-timetable/
National Rail Enquiries - Official source for UK train times and timetables
Old Jan 13th, 2018, 08:00 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Good info from dothboyshall. OR -- you can easily do it by car and have a chance to explore some of the Moors too.
Old Jan 13th, 2018, 10:48 AM

Hiring a car for the day would be quick and easy, and as Janis says the journey across the Moors is lovely. I live in North Yorkshire and have done the drive literally dozens of times and I still marvel at how beautiful it is in all seasons.
At Robin Hood's Bay you need to park the car at the top of the steep hill which leads down the old part of the village to the sea. Sensible shoes are essential - and make time to explore the tiny lanes off the main street.
Whitby is famous for its excellent fish and chips, especially at the Magpie Café or Trenchers (we prefer the latter).
Home Page
The Abbey overlooks the town - you can walk up to it (lots of steps) or drive (large car park at the top of the cliff).
Whitby Abbey | English Heritage

Last edited by Morgana; Jan 13th, 2018 at 11:19 AM.
Old Jan 13th, 2018, 02:00 PM

If you've read Dracula by Bram Stoker, it's evocative to walk down from the Abbey, down all the steps, and detour a little into the cemetery. The Abbey and the other scenes from Dracula are what stay with me about Whitby. I had a bad experience with the fish and chips.
Old Jan 13th, 2018, 02:40 PM

If possible, take the north moors steam railway particularly if a nice day. Great experience. https://www.nymr.co.uk/
Old Jan 14th, 2018, 12:54 AM

Climb the 199 steps to reach the Abbey ruins (each time i do this I get a different number - last time it was 212...) Although you get good views without having to pay, it is actually worthwhile paying to go inside.

Also don't miss the lovely St Mary's Church next to the abbey ruins, which is actually older than the abbey.

If you have a car, make a stop above Robin Hood's Bay and have a look at Old St Stephen's Church which is a wonderful survival of an untouched Georgian church completre with Maiden's garlands.... I'll leave you to find out what they are.