Itinerary for 2 1/2 days in Vienna

Aug 22nd, 2009, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Itinerary for 2 1/2 days in Vienna

I understand that you can spend days in Vienna , but I have only 2 1/2 days. What sites do you think are a must see? Schonbrunn Palace is on my list as well as the Opera House . Do you recommend an organized bus tour of the city?

Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Aug 22nd, 2009, 11:17 AM
yk

When are you going? The reason I ask is if you're going in the winter, Schonbrunn may not be as nice because a big part of visiting is enjoying the gardens & the grounds.

If you don't go to Schonbrunn, I suggest visiting the Hofburg Palace. And also the Treasury to see the Crown Jewels.

What are your interests? I like art, painting, art nouveau etc, so I was in heaven in Vienna. My favorite is the Museum of Applied Arts but if you have no interest in it, you can skip that. The Klimts at the Belvedere Palace is worth making a trip for, as well as the Old Masters and Bruegels in the KHM. I also enjoyed Leopold Museum with it's Egon Schiele collection. Again, if you have zero interest in art, Vienna secession art, then I guess you can skip all the above.

When you say "opera house" do you mean a tour or an actual performance? I highly, highly recommend attending a performance there, as it's one of the best opera houses in the world.

Here are my 2 trip reports to Vienna:
November 2006
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...n-nov-2006.cfm

April 2009
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...pring-2009.cfm
Aug 22nd, 2009, 12:13 PM

If you are a halfway serious film buff, the Third Man tour and a visit to Das Riesenrad in the Prater are fun.
Aug 22nd, 2009, 01:59 PM

Mass at the Palace chapel with the Vienna Choir Boys,
Spanish Riding School performance of the Lipizzaner stallions,
St. Steven's Cathedral,
Hofburg Palace apartments,
the Kunsthistorisches museum,
a glass of wine and people-watching at an outdoor cafe,
the Heuriger,
and, yes, the Opera House!
Aug 22nd, 2009, 02:36 PM

Both a tour of the opera house and a performance -- you can get standing room tickets in the upper levels. Be advised people stake out their spots with personal items a little while before the performance begins. The price is really cheap as I recall so you can stay for as brief or lengthy a time as you like with no guilt.

Coffee at an outdoor cafe. I found Sachertorte a bit dry and disappointing though with enough schlag (sp- cream) no one cares!

Consider attending a service at St. Stephen's; lovely music in situ.

As for touring the city, there's one particular streetcar that encircles the main town area and provides a nice overview of the area.

The Albertina museum was a nice interlude in our city tour; right near the opera house as I recall.
Aug 24th, 2009, 07:37 AM

I would recommend the following:

-The Kunsthistorisches Museum (Wonderful "Old Masters" collection, as well as Roman and Greek statuary)
-Schonbrunn Palace -- The gardens are worth a visit even in October for the fantastic fountains and the Gloriette
-The Hofburg -- the royal apartments (for the Sissi Museum) and the Schatzkammer (treasury)
-Stephansdom -- great views from the towers
-Kapuzinerkirche -- which has the crypt of the Hapsburgs
-Karlskirche -- lovely, quite different church
-The Belvedere
-Walking around the Ring from the Staatsoper to the Neue Rathaus
-Having coffee and pastry at a cafe -- skip the Sacher Cafe, in my opinion, although their Rote Bar restaurant (very formal) is wonderful

If you are not going to a performance at the Staatsoper, I would probably skip a tour unless you run out of other things to do. It is lovely, but not as interesting or ornate, in my opinion, as those in Paris or Budapest. However, it is definitely worth attending a performance. You can get advance tickets on their website.
Aug 24th, 2009, 07:55 AM
sjj

Another place to go is the Academy of Fine Arts. Here's the Wikipedia description:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy...ne_Arts_Vienna
Aug 24th, 2009, 09:24 AM

hi farrel,

if you click on my name you wil find my less than half completed trip report of our recent stay in vienna.

fortunately for you, our first stop in austria was in vienna so you can see nearly all of what we did in 3 1/2 days, which may help.

regards, ann